rosscrudos

Which is better a CR1 or a K1 visa?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone,

OK a bit of background:

I am from the U.K but now live in Australia, I started dating my girlfriend (who is a US citizen) 2 years ago, and we have lived together in Austrlia for a year and a half. Next year (once my girlfriend finishes her uni course) we want to move to the US together.

I have been trying to do some research but am finding it hard!

Would it be easier for us just to get married in Australia and apply for the CR1 visa or go for the K1 fiance visa?

My main worry is this, we want to move to the US in Feb of 2013, and we ideally would like to get married in the US, so that friends and family could come, but what happens if we apply for a K1 too early and it expires before Feb 2013, or we apply too late and it isn't granted in time! The process time seems to be 3 - 8 months which makes it very hard.

Any advice would be much appreciated,

thanks in advance,

Ross

Well you can always get married on paper with a small wedding and then have the ceremony and reception once in the US. Me and my fiance are going to have to do that since depending on when he gets here, our target wedding date will be more than 3 months after point of entry, so we plan to just get married once he arrives in the us on paper, and then start the whole AOS process, while we finish planning for our big ceremony/reception with family and friends :) That way stuff is getting done and we can have the wedding we want too :)

Brandy + Ben = <3
Dating online since June 2009
Met Feb 23rd 2010
Lived together in US on J1 Visa since Sept 28th 2010
Got engaged on Sept 21st 2011 :)
He went back to Australia at the end of his J1 Visa on Sept 22nd 2011 :(

Sent I129 on 10/26/2011
Received: 10/27/2011
NOA1 dated: 10/31/2011
NOA1 received in mail: 11/4/2011

NOA2!!!!! 01/25/2012 in 86 days! :wow:
Married June 4th 2012 <3

Like "I Support Austramerican Relationships" on Facebook!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

comparison charts. Read up and then choose. http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.