Samara

Confused..need help!!

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Several unhelpful, ranting posts removed. Please keep it constructive. *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

to get married in while you are still married (not yet divorced), in the western world, is looked upon as being fraudulent. But, things may be different on the other side of the planet. I'm sure they are.

07/27/2011...........NOA1 received.

12/05/2011...........RFE received.

12/13/2011...........RFE response sent.

12/16/2011...........RFE RESPONSE received by Vermont S.C.

12/22/2011...........Teased by a text-message from uscis, saying they have received my response to the RFE.

12/30/2011...........LA VISA APROVADOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

01/12/2012...........Case Sent To Bogota Colombia, from the National Visa Center.

02/09/2012...........Schedule Interview.

03/23/2012...........Interview (to take place then)!

04/07/2012...........Arrived in USA.

07/01/2012...........MARRIED!

What next?

.......How the days DO slip away!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Dissolving this marriage may also come with complications. I filed for an Invalidity of Marriagfe aka annulment in the US for reasons of prohibited marriage due to bigamy which what this is. My ex was currently married when we got married. I did not have an attorney and the process was extremely smooth for me and was able to complete it in about 9 or 10 weeks. I was the putattive spouse and not the offender. Remember now that what the petitioner did is commit a crime. I could be wrong but I believe he's not gonna be able to file for invalidity because he was the one that committed the crime. They seriously need counsel.

Just a piece of advise... Get it done right! Aside from the annulment I was talking about I had spent the last couple of years in court due to a nasty divorce and custody batte and have spent enough money to pay for a new Lamborghini in cash. So much information and detail gets lost in court due to how attorneys and the courts itself interpret the law and these are professionals. Imagine having to explain your situation outside of that realm.

Get an attorney or get married legally this time, file for CR-1 and hope everything else before that gets overlooked.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I think the myriad responses here show that this is really something outside the remit of this forum to deal with. I would seriously think about consulting an immigration lawyer. Of course they will likely always try to make things sound harder than they usually are because they want the business, but you could go into it knowing that and just getting the bare bones of the information on how to present this to USCIS which is ultimately what you are after. You could always go for K1 but attach a written statement of the marriage already entered into, but really you need some solid concrete advice here and now is not the time to takes chances with petitions as it could cost you dearly in the long run, in time, in emotions AND in money. I hope too that this is resolved as a child is involved. The one thing that I see raising flags is not really the legality of the marriage (yours) but that you married whilst someone else was married to him...whatever the cultural connotations of this. I ve read many cases on these forums where if the relationship is started long after separation from the former spouse but yet close to the divorce being finalised then this can cause problems. Your case would in my opinion raise far more flags than this. This is only my opinion though and you need more than opinions. Get some legal advice and get it before filing. Good luck!

Edited by qwerty1974

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I think (these) muddy waters are (may be) difficult to clear up.

Edited by GringoD

07/27/2011...........NOA1 received.

12/05/2011...........RFE received.

12/13/2011...........RFE response sent.

12/16/2011...........RFE RESPONSE received by Vermont S.C.

12/22/2011...........Teased by a text-message from uscis, saying they have received my response to the RFE.

12/30/2011...........LA VISA APROVADOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

01/12/2012...........Case Sent To Bogota Colombia, from the National Visa Center.

02/09/2012...........Schedule Interview.

03/23/2012...........Interview (to take place then)!

04/07/2012...........Arrived in USA.

07/01/2012...........MARRIED!

What next?

.......How the days DO slip away!

quote name='NY_BX' timestamp='1321748543' post='5015072']

Their intentions are not the issue. It is what USCIS will perceive out of this 'marriage.' THE USC must've known that marrying someone in another country while still being legally married may diminish the new partner's chances of visa approval. So yes, they must tell the truth. Once the truth comes out, red flags will wave up and high. I hope we're wrong and all goes smoothly since there's a child involved in this process, but.... you never know.

We did not have choice but to get married islamically. Here in UAE dating is illegal so we had no choice but to ge married.

Dissolving this marriage may also come with complications. I filed for an Invalidity of Marriagfe aka annulment in the US for reasons of prohibited marriage due to bigamy which what this is. My ex was currently married when we got married. I did not have an attorney and the process was extremely smooth for me and was able to complete it in about 9 or 10 weeks. I was the putattive spouse and not the offender. Remember now that what the petitioner did is commit a crime. I could be wrong but I believe he's not gonna be able to file for invalidity because he was the one that committed the crime. They seriously need counsel.

Just a piece of advise... Get it done right! Aside from the annulment I was talking about I had spent the last couple of years in court due to a nasty divorce and custody batte and have spent enough money to pay for a new Lamborghini in cash. So much information and detail gets lost in court due to how attorneys and the courts itself interpret the law and these are professionals. Imagine having to explain your situation outside of that realm.

Get an attorney or get married legally this time, file for CR-1 and hope everything else before that gets overlooked.

How can we dissolve a marriage that happened at home with only 5 people. I only have a paper from the person who perform the marriage stating that we are married through religion just incase if we are cought by the police.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.