Mesh

Evidence of Bona Fides for Consular Processing of I-130

11 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I am a US citizen married to an Australian currently abroad. We were only recently married (end of October) and I am starting on the I-130 paperwork at the moment. One of the things I noticed is that a lot of the evidence they request in the I-130 packet wouldn't be possible for me to have since we got married recently and he moved right back to Australia. Things like a joint bank account (he doesn't have a SSN), a lease (we don't live together, that's the point of the petition), etc. I do have things like him being the beneficiary on my bank accounts, life insurance, and loads of photos and skype and phone records. I could also of course get affidavits if needed.

My question is, how much of this is required to be sent with the actual I-130 petition during a consular processing, as oppose to just bringing it to the interview process?

In my research over the last few days I have spoken to a few attorneys, many of which have said that the burden of proof is less in a consular petition because they know you aren't living together and naturally wouldn't have that stuff. In fact 2 (unrelated) attorneys said that most often they simply submit the marriage certificate with I-130 (and no further documents), and it is sufficient. According to them, the other "comingling of financial stuff" isn't expected because they know by virtue of filing a consular processing, we don't live together.

While I'd like think these attorneys know what they are talking about, I am having a hard time reconciling this with the fact that the instructions themselves request additional support of the bona fides.

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with this?

Many thanks as always!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi there,

I am a US citizen married to an Australian currently abroad. We were only recently married (end of October) and I am starting on the I-130 paperwork at the moment. One of the things I noticed is that a lot of the evidence they request in the I-130 packet wouldn't be possible for me to have since we got married recently and he moved right back to Australia. Things like a joint bank account (he doesn't have a SSN), a lease (we don't live together, that's the point of the petition), etc. I do have things like him being the beneficiary on my bank accounts, life insurance, and loads of photos and skype and phone records. I could also of course get affidavits if needed.

My question is, how much of this is required to be sent with the actual I-130 petition during a consular processing, as oppose to just bringing it to the interview process?

In my research over the last few days I have spoken to a few attorneys, many of which have said that the burden of proof is less in a consular petition because they know you aren't living together and naturally wouldn't have that stuff. In fact 2 (unrelated) attorneys said that most often they simply submit the marriage certificate with I-130 (and no further documents), and it is sufficient. According to them, the other "comingling of financial stuff" isn't expected because they know by virtue of filing a consular processing, we don't live together.

While I'd like think these attorneys know what they are talking about, I am having a hard time reconciling this with the fact that the instructions themselves request additional support of the bona fides.

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with this?

Many thanks as always!

I found myself in a very similar situation, however you have much more evidence than we do. I would send as much of it as you need to send to make yourself feel comfortable. Make sure to just send copies of all the evedince incase asked to show it again later in the process. There is no set amount of how much evidence to provide.

I found myself in a very similar situation, however you have much more evidence than we do. I would send as much of it as you need to send to make yourself feel comfortable. Make sure to just send copies of all the evedince incase asked to show it again later in the process. There is no set amount of how much evidence to provide.

Thank you for your thoughts. I just think it's odd that 2 attorneys said that I shouldn't bother sending anything. I think I'd rather send it, better safe than sorry or receiving an RFE and delaying the process at all.

Did you get any RFEs, or was what you sent sufficient?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I sent a copy of the marriage certificate, 2 affidavits from witnesses to our traditional and registry wedding, travel itinerary from my stay, hotel receipt reflecting both our names, and a few pictures. It's nerve wrecking to fill out forms or try to guess what is good to send. You don't have an alien registration number so put N/A. Be sure to submit a G325A Biographical form for yourself and your husband. He has to sign it. They also ask for 1 passport photo of both of you.

I sent a copy of the marriage certificate, 2 affidavits from witnesses to our traditional and registry wedding, travel itinerary from my stay, hotel receipt reflecting both our names, and a few pictures. It's nerve wrecking to fill out forms or try to guess what is good to send. You don't have an alien registration number so put N/A. Be sure to submit a G325A Biographical form for yourself and your husband. He has to sign it. They also ask for 1 passport photo of both of you.

Thank you! again, sounds like maybe the attorneys are misguiding. I'd rather send more than what's necessary rather than delaying it with RFEs.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I have the most important advice is to use the guides and forums on visajourney.com do extensive research.

I have no idea what kind of attorneys you are talking to, maybe free advice is worth nothing. If you are paying attorneys a lot of money to process your case, they are just lazy?

I used this forum and site for every turn and the resources here are proven. My wife has her 10 year green card now as a direct result of this forum, from I-130 to the last possible step.

You say it's nerve racking to fill out forms and guess what to include?

Well you should take this as the most important form you ever fill out so you definitely want to directly respond to the RFE exactly!

I don't believe in kitchen sink front loading.(Just my opinion others have their own)

I don't know if there is too much. We did not front load our application, it was exactly enough to assure no RFE (well technically I did expect an RFE due to a missed signature on a form but I had actually sent a follow-up mail with the corrected signature before they contacted me). Our interview material was the overwhelming evidence including thousands of pages of communication, hundreds of pictures, and every kind of thing I could possibly acquire by comparing others here.

Take your time and don't freak out, it is a process that will lead to the rest of your life : :yes:

Edited by Dan & Juan

USA NATURALIZATION CITIZEN :-------------------------------------------------------
08-13-2014 - N-400 mailed priority Phoenix lockbox
08-1x-2014 - N-400 package accepted

08-20-2014 - Check cashed

09-xx-2014 - NOA bio-metrics appointment

09-18-2014 - Bio-metrics appointment Columbus office

09-22-2014 - NOA letter scheduled interview 10-30-2014

10-30-2014 - Naturalization interview and test Columbus Ohio office.

Application changed to five year as mark reached while waiting for interview

Passed civic test and interview recommends approval !!!

10-30-2014 - NOA hand letter stating recommendation for approval and wait for letter of approval and oath
11-13-2014 - Case Status updated "We scheduled your oath ceremony"

11-14-2014 - NOA letter final interview and oath Tuesday 11-25-2014

11-25-2014 - Final red tape and oath ceremony Columbus, Ohio Officially a US Citizen!!!

- Applied US Passport at local post office

08-2016 - Received 10 year Q2 visa to visit China as a US citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Thank you for your thoughts. I just think it's odd that 2 attorneys said that I shouldn't bother sending anything. I think I'd rather send it, better safe than sorry or receiving an RFE and delaying the process at all.

No, send as much as you can. You need to present a strong case. After you keep logs

(skype,facebook,yahoo,tickets,phone calls) Good luck

jkshrmfeqk.png

ooOcm7.png

event.png

Hi mesh,

my petition was just approved last week after a little over 4 weeks after NOA1. For evidence I sent:

1. Marriage Certficate

2. 1 Affidavit from a family member

3. 5 photos

4. Evidence of a joint account

I was approved without any RFE's and fast as you can see. I also have a friend who sent only her MC and was approved without any RFE's. There is a lot of debate about this, whether to frontload your petition or not. Personally I feel, the more you send, the more there is to look over, so the more time it takes to review and approve the petition. Send enough, but don't over-do it!!

Best of luck. :star:

01/01/2008 - Met
04/27/2010 - Engaged
08/23/2011 - Married
USCIS
10/03/2011 - I-130 Sent (USPS priority w/ delivery confirmation)
10/05/2011 - Package arrived at chicago lockbox
10/06/2011 - NOA1
11/09/2011 - NOA2 (no RFE's)
NVC
11/14/2011 - Petition received by NVC/ Received NOA2 by mail
11/21/2011 - NVC case # received by email/ Got AOS fee by email/ Called NVC to provide beneficiary email
11/27/2011 - Choice of agent (DS-3023) sent to NVC by email
.....took a break from process to delay interview....
01/26/2012 - Payed IV fee
01/27/2012 - IV fee status shown as PAID
02/07/2012 - Payed AOS fee
02/08/2012 - AOS fee status shown as PAID
02/09/ 2012 - DS-230 package sent to NVC (priority mail)
03/06/2012 - AOS package sent to NVC (priority mail)
03/12/2012 - Called NVC and found out about checklist. Sent revision to NVC that same day.
03/16/2012 - CASE COMPLETE!
04/11/2012 - Informed of interview via phone by DOS/ Got P4 email from NVC a few hours later that same day (May 4th)
SANTO DOMINGO CONSULATE
04/19/2012 - Medical
05/04/2012 - Interview (APPROVED)
05/10/2012 - Visa ready and picked up at domex
05/15/2012 - POE in Boston (together)
U. S. A
05/29/2012 - Went to SS office to apply for SS card
06/01/2012 - Welcome letter arrived (Received about 3 of these)
06/05/2012 - Green card arrived
06/15/2012- Back to SS office with green card to reapply and inquire about delay
06/18/2012 - Picked up SSN at SSA office
06/22/2012 - SS card arrived by mail

04/24/14 - Sent I-751 to remove conditions

06/09/14 - Biometrics

11/2014 - RFE from USCIS requesting more evidence before approval

Late Jan - Sent further evidence of marriage

03/05/2015 - Got letter of approval for removal of conditions

03/15/2015 - Permanent 10 yr green card received via mail

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

you're not doing Consular processing of the I-130, alas.

That's a whole nother thing.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

No I did not get any. I sent a copy of our contract for our home with both our names on it. two affidavits of family members. Since then we have continued to gather evidence in case he is asked at his visa interview. I have sent him a statement from my bank stating that i have requested he be added to my account but unfortunately they cannot do that until they can get his signature in person, phone records, money gram reciepts, pictures of our wedding and also time we spent together in germany. Anything you can get with both your names on it or his name witht hat adress is always helpful. Wether you add him to a utility bill, or get him a type of magazine subscription.

Good Luck

I was approved in 30 days and sent: marriage certificate, 3 affidavits (from hubby's USC parents, brother, best friend, all just said basically "I know J & J and was at their wedding."), and my husband's sailboat insurance policy which happened to have my name on it.

Mostly, when someone front-loads their petition with a tonne of evidence it is more to ensure that that evidence is then sent on to the Embassy, which is something you only need to worry about with some countries not others.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.