Liz_D

Will accepting public assistance cause problems with getting the K-1 visa?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Cameroon
Timeline

I am pregnant and expecting our baby in February. We have started the visa process, but until my fiance gets here, I will basically be the sole financial support for myself and the baby. My fiance is from Cameroon and working on his Ph.D. in Korea. He is on a student visa and only allowed to work 20 hours a week. He has to pay his rent and expenses out of those 20 hours, so doesn't really have any extra to send home. He definitely wants to help but I don't see how that will be possible.

Right now I have government funded insurance since I didn't have my own private insurance to cover my pregnancy when I got home. I also receive WIC. I am currently looking into childcare assistance because there is no way I can afford childcare and expenses on my salary. I don't have anyone who can watch our baby for free when I go back to work. I will try to look into other cheaper options for childcare, but the going rate in my area is around $700 per month. There is just no way I can afford that on my own. To receive childcare assistance, I have to apply through the Department of Human Services for a program that offers childcare certificates. I would be responsible for a small amount of weekly childcare, but the rest would be covered by the state. I probably qualify for other types of assistance as well as I will be single with a child, but I want to take as little help as possible. My question is, will receiving public benefits cause problems with having our K-1 visa approved? My brother has already agreed to be our co-sponsor since my income would be sufficient for 2 people but not 3. My fiance also has two bachelor's degrees and an MBA, as well as work experience, so I hope that carries some weight at his interview. I am in school working toward my certificate in medical transcription and plan to go back for a Master's. This is really frustrating because if my fiance could be here, that would solve most of my financial difficulties. He could stay with the baby until he received legal permission to work, at which point we could easily afford childcare. With his degrees and experience, he has a much higher earning potential than I do. If anyone has any information on how public assistance can effect our chances, please let me know. I am really stressed about this.

I am pregnant and expecting our baby in February. We have started the visa process, but until my fiance gets here, I will basically be the sole financial support for myself and the baby. My fiance is from Cameroon and working on his Ph.D. in Korea. He is on a student visa and only allowed to work 20 hours a week. He has to pay his rent and expenses out of those 20 hours, so doesn't really have any extra to send home. He definitely wants to help but I don't see how that will be possible.

Right now I have government funded insurance since I didn't have my own private insurance to cover my pregnancy when I got home. I also receive WIC. I am currently looking into childcare assistance because there is no way I can afford childcare and expenses on my salary. I don't have anyone who can watch our baby for free when I go back to work. I will try to look into other cheaper options for childcare, but the going rate in my area is around $700 per month. There is just no way I can afford that on my own. To receive childcare assistance, I have to apply through the Department of Human Services for a program that offers childcare certificates. I would be responsible for a small amount of weekly childcare, but the rest would be covered by the state. I probably qualify for other types of assistance as well as I will be single with a child, but I want to take as little help as possible. My question is, will receiving public benefits cause problems with having our K-1 visa approved? My brother has already agreed to be our co-sponsor since my income would be sufficient for 2 people but not 3. My fiance also has two bachelor's degrees and an MBA, as well as work experience, so I hope that carries some weight at his interview. I am in school working toward my certificate in medical transcription and plan to go back for a Master's. This is really frustrating because if my fiance could be here, that would solve most of my financial difficulties. He could stay with the baby until he received legal permission to work, at which point we could easily afford childcare. With his degrees and experience, he has a much higher earning potential than I do. If anyone has any information on how public assistance can effect our chances, please let me know. I am really stressed about this.

You government assistance have nothing to do with K-1 Visa. You are USC and you are elligible for that. As you mentioned you have a co-sponsor, I would also double check with embassy if they allow co-sponsors, as some are not. Your fiancee education have nothing to do with Visa approval, they don't look what he can potentially make in the future, they look if you have a means to support him.

Good luck on your journey.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thanks for the reply. Can anyone else confirm this?

Yes, except for the statement about his earning potential. They DO look at the applicant's education when making the public charge determination. They are required by law to consider it.

As a US citizen, you are eligible to collects means-tested public benefits. The consulate won't deny you for this reason, as long as you have a sufficient joint sponsor, but they will look more closely at your case for the public charge determination. They are allowed to consider that the risk of the applicant becoming a public charge might be greater if the sponsor received any means-tested public benefits in the previous three years. I seriously doubt it will be a problem in your case because of your fiance's advanced education.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.