Chicago16

middle name added during the naturalization interview

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi Everyone,

First of all, I want to explain here about my middle name.

for example, first name = AAA, maiden name = BBBbbbb (my husband has the same first 3 letters as my maiden name), last name(from my husband) = CCC

On my Green Card, It shows AAA B. CCC

I filed the N400 form by using AAA BBB CCC (my husband has "BBB" for his middle name and I thought I could create BBB for my middle name in the form because I never had a middle name before I married)

I went to my interview yesterday. During the interview, the officer asked me how I have BBB as a middle name in the form so I told him that I got that from my husband. He said that I couldn't do that. At that point, I was so scared for having the incorrect information in the form. Later he asked me if I want to have "BBB" for my middle name so I said "yes". He asked me to sign the name change form (to add "BBB" as middle name to my first name and last name). Before I signed the name change form, I asked him if this is going to delay my process or not "He said no" so I signed it. Other than that, it went well. He also gave me a paper indicating I passed all the tests.

Here are my questions;

1. Is adding middle name (not change first name and last name) going to delay my process?

2. If so, can I cancel that name change form?

3. If I can't cancel that name change form, where do I take the oath? Court house or USCIS office?

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sorry, but don't understand your explanation..

Can you clarify the following:

#1) what is the significance of typing your maiden name as "BBBbbbb" (some letters UPPER CASE, some letters lower case), instead of the rest of your example names (AAA and CCC)?

#2) You state the officer at your interview asked you how you got BBB as a middle name, when you told him you got it from your husband, you state that he said that wasn't allowed. That sounds right to me. Completely "made up" name changes can not be facilitated via the marriage/immigration/naturalization processes. (But you can change any of your names: First, middle, last) to anything you want by going to Court and filing the appropriate motions - but that is a completely different topic and discussion) However, in the next sentence, you state that that same officer asked you to fill out a name change form listing BBB as your middle name. Huh? Is this a typo? did you mean to say that the name change form was to have "BBBbbbb" (your maiden name) as your middle name? (this is a pretty normal name change that many women make when getting married in the USA and can easily be processed within the marriage/immigration/naturalization processes with no real delay.)

Thanks for rereading your post and clarifying your situation.

Warm Regards,

Samby

Hi Everyone,

for example, first name = AAA, maiden name = BBBbbbb (my husband has the same first 3 letters as my maiden name), last name(from my husband) = CCC

I filed the N400 form by using AAA BBB CCC (my husband has "BBB" for his middle name and I thought I could create BBB for my middle name in the form because I never had a middle name before I married)

I went to my interview yesterday. During the interview, the officer asked me how I have BBB as a middle name in the form so I told him that I got that from my husband. He said that I couldn't do that. At that point, I was so scared for having the incorrect information in the form. Later he asked me if I want to have "BBB" for my middle name so I said "yes". He asked me to sign the name change form (to add "BBB" as middle name to my first name and last name). Before I signed the name change form, I asked him if this is going to delay my process or not "He said no" so I signed it. Other than that, it went well. He also gave me a paper indicating I passed all the tests.

Here are my questions;

1. Is adding middle name (not change first name and last name) going to delay my process?

3. If I can't cancel that name change form, where do I take the oath? Court house or USCIS office?

Thanks!

Wishing Everyone Speed, Success, Happiness and Love,

TinTin and Samby

Thanks Samby for your response :)

And sorry for any confusion (I know this is so confusing)

As for the middle name, I meant the first 3 digits of my maiden name and my husband middle name are exactly the same for instance, my maiden name 123abc and my husband's middle name is 123.

So when I filled out the N400 form, I filled AAA as my first name, 123 as middle name and CCC as last name (middle name and last name of my husband).

The officer asked me to signed a name change form to have "123" as my middle name.

Thanks again

As for the middle name, I meant the first 3 digits of my maiden name and my husband middle name are exactly the same for instance, my maiden name 123abc and my husband's middle name is 123.

So when I filled out the N400 form, I filled AAA as my first name, 123 as middle name and CCC as last name (middle name and last name of my husband).

The officer asked me to signed a name change form to have "123" as my middle name.

Thanks again

would have been soooooo much easier to use other names (other than your's) as an example, instead of letters. Thought I was solving a math problem for a minute..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Here are my questions;

Thanks!

1. Maybe a little but not by much

2. No

3. Good qn. No idea. Does it matter (in advance)? You'll find out when you get the Oath letter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Wife used her second middle name throughout the immigration process, which was her maiden name that is traditional in her home country. Sure confusing here, so on her own, she dropped it on her N-400 without any delays or problems. SS and the DMV did the same thing.

Gathering you want to do the opposite by adding your maiden name, shouldn't be a problem until your name gets screwed up in the computer process, the phone book and airline tickets for examples. But would think twice before doing so. If this is what you mean.

Another problem is that in this country, have a first, given middle name or initial, and a last name. No space to add that second maiden name in practically all the forms. If a Smith-Jones last name, computers won't recognize that dash.

Timeline

Thanks again

Wait. Reread my first reply to you! You are not making any sense. You state that you filled out the form to use 123 as your middle name, but the officer told you you couldn't do that, then you say he gave you a form that you signed that had 123 as your middle name. HUH???? You are saying he gave you a form to fill out your middle name as 123 because he said 123 was not a valid middle name...AGAIN...HUH???? THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. There's either a typo in your story or the whole thing is completely illogical. Please explain. Thanks.

TinTin and Samby

Sorry again for any confusion :)

Let's try again

I filled out the n400 as shown below

A.section (for instance)

First name is "Angelina"

Middle name "Wis"

Last name "Craig"

My maiden name is "Wisor"

My husband' s middle name and last name are "Wis" and "Craig" respectively

So the office said that I can't have "Wis" as my middle name as I filled out in the n400 form

He asked me to add a middle name as "Wis" by requesting a name change

#2) You state the officer at your interview asked you how you got BBB as a middle name, when you told him you got it from your husband, you state that he said that wasn't allowed. That sounds right to me. Completely "made up" name changes can not be facilitated via the marriage/immigration/naturalization processes. (But you can change any of your names: First, middle, last) to anything you want by going to Court and filing the appropriate motions - but that is a completely different topic and discussion)

Just wanted to clarify that in regards to name changes through marriage this can depend on the state you reside in. For example in Minnesota, you are allowed to combine or create completely new last names through marriage.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Lets say BBB is actually Mary, can she add Mary as her middle name, her IO told her yes. Isn't this the end of the her story? Doesn't make any difference how she picked that name, is a middle name, so could be added. Least according to her IO, just like my wife dropped her middle name, no delays, least by the name dropping, certificate was written that way, and no problems with the phone company, DMV, SS, nor her employer. Never was a problem with the banks or credit card companies, didn't have space to even put in her middle name.

ABC and 123 twisted my brain a little as well, but okay, should recover.

Filed: Other Timeline

Here are my questions;

1) Maybe. No way of knowing

2) No.

3) See # 2.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Thanks everyone for your response :)

Looks like I can't withdraw the name change request

Btw, does anyone happen to know;

1. What are they going to do with the name change request? Name check again?

2. What documents do I bring for the oath with name change?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Everyone,

Here are my questions;

Thanks!

You must be an engineer or an IT professional.....

ANyhow...

You can't arbitrarily change names, unless you marry (in some states). It is possible to chnage names with the form as done.

As for your questions

1. I'd think No, I did a name change during naturalization and it did not affect at all the time, but I had elected to be sworn in in the next ceremony that was several weeks away. If you want to be sworn in at the end of interview, then it might cause delays.

Add to this that you might have change your name at marriage, in that case, I'd think what you wrote in the forms is valid and correct. But I do know that in some states you can't change name upon marriage and need to do it at a court house.

2. No

3. See 1 above

Edited by Gosia & Tito

Filed: Other Timeline

1. What are they going to do with the name change request? Name check again?

2. What documents do I bring for the oath with name change?

1) The name change forms (all 3) go to the court and the judge who signs off on the Certificate of Naturalization. At the same time another signature goes on the name change forms and one form is then filed with the County Registrar. The second form goes back into your USCIS file, and the third one gets stapled to the back of your Certificate of Naturalization.

The whole thing should not cause a delay. It would cause a delay if you otherwise had a same-day oath, but that's not the case here.

2) Huh?

To the Oath you bring your N-445, your 10-year Green Card, and a pen. That's all.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

So the office said that I can't have "Wis" as my middle name as I filled out in the n400 form

He asked me to add a middle name as "Wis" by requesting a name change

OK...I feel like I'm Alice in Wonderland! :bonk: Am I just being Dense here? These 2 statements above ARE THE SAME THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OFFICER: "Sorry Ma'am, you can't have "Wis" for your Middle Name."

OFFICER: "Here, Ma'am, Please put "Wis" down as your Middle Name."

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!! This makes ZERO Sense! :blink:

VJ peeps...please...help a poor old dog to sleep better and point out what I am missing here. Thanks!

Warm Regards,

Samby

Edited by TinTin and Samby

TinTin and Samby

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.