jessicaDiana

can i still pay off my credit card in the USA from canada?

13 posts in this topic

i recently feel like im about to ask alot of questions, not that i cant figure any of them out on my own but to hear peoples experiences on vj.

this might be a silly question, even stupid at that.... But im just curious, do i have to pay off my credit card fully before i go to the USA on my k-1 visa? (im the beneficiary living in vancouver canada.)

or can I start paying it off again once i get a job after my AOS in the USA?

im just unsure, the bank i go to now is not where ill be moving to in the USA and with that i dont know how to keep making payments on my credit card. can i still have my canadian account open while living in the USA and still keep making payments online?

i have good credit...and my credit bill is less then a grand currently, i just dont want to worry about COMPLETLY paying it off fully right now while working through the costs of our k-1 visa. we are just waiting on our firsst packet so things are coming up fast and i need to know!

any advice?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have kinda similar question.

Did you ask your Credit Card company how it works?

Mine advised me that if I have a savings account with them, then I could just do it on the computer wherever in the world I am but I don't so that's a problem. I will not open an account with them either just for that sole purpose.

Edited by teapotgurl1983

Happy New Year!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You don't have to pay off your credit card debt before moving to the U.S. You can just mail them a check every month from your U.S. bank account. If you send $100.00 U.S., they will convert it to the equivalent amount in Canadian dollars. I even receive my Canadian credit card bill in the mail every month here in the U.S. The one thing I haven't been able to do is add my Canadian credit card to my "bill pay" on my U.S. bank account, so I find just sending them a check works best for me.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

If you are in the Vancouver area, you can open an account with RBC because they have an account where you can have a Canadian and US account. I can transfer money back and forth and has made it a breeze to pay Canadian bills while I visit in the USA. When I move down I will keep this bank account because I have other stuff to deal with in Canada so it maybe worth looking into. I'm over in Victoria.

Terri

Fiance visa

04/28/2011 - I-129F - DENIED

02/18/2012 - I-129F petition filed
02/24/2012 - NOA1
09/04/2012 - NOA2, 193 days

Interview:10/22/2012
POE: 10/26/2012 (245 days)

Removal of Conditions

Filed for ROC - 06/09/2015

NOA1 for ROC - 06/12/2015

Biometrics appointment - 07/17/2015

Approval for ROC - 04/20/2016 (316 days)

Naturalization Process

N-400 Filed 06/10/2016

N-400 NOA1 06/14/2016

N-400 biometrics 06/20/16

N-400 interview 01/23/2017

N-400 Oath ceremony 02/10/2017

Immigration Process took 2116 days.

i recently feel like im about to ask alot of questions, not that i cant figure any of them out on my own but to hear peoples experiences on vj.

this might be a silly question, even stupid at that.... But im just curious, do i have to pay off my credit card fully before i go to the USA on my k-1 visa? (im the beneficiary living in vancouver canada.)

im just unsure, the bank i go to now is not where ill be moving to in the USA and with that i dont know how to keep making payments on my credit card. can i still have my canadian account open while living in the USA and still keep making payments online?

i have good credit...and my credit bill is less then a grand currently, i just dont want to worry about COMPLETLY paying it off fully right now while working through the costs of our k-1 visa. we are just waiting on our firsst packet so things are coming up fast and i need to know!

any advice?

Hey, I was wondering that too. I have some credit cards from different banks. The expired dates would not ended very soon. But, I started thinking what to do when I moved to US after K-1 Visa. Actually, I made payment all my credit cards through my online banking so it is not a big issue. Also, I wondering about my insurance as well. I paid every month automatically debit from my credit cards, but I'm curious if bank would cut the clause of agreement once we moved to another country. But, my guess, we need to contact the bank invidually to see their policy about moving to another country.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You do not have to pay it off fully. You can make payments from the USA.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You should talk to your bank to ensure you're allowed to keep your bank account/ CC open after you move. There are banks who have told VJ members that they are not allowed although that has become less frequent.

I notice you say...' can I start paying it off again once I get a job'....are you planning to stop payments during the time between K1 and AOS? I doubt the bank will take kindly to you suspending payments for a few months, perhaps that's not what you meant.

You can ask them how you can keep making payments - undoubtedly they'll accept Money orders. You can do those easily at the post office here in the US for a small fee...someone posted above about RBC accounts. Your good credit is back in Canada so making timely payments is probably a good idea. If it's <$1000, I'd try and pay it off so you don;t have to worry about fees.

any advice?

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

If you are in the Vancouver area, you can open an account with RBC because they have an account where you can have a Canadian and US account. I can transfer money back and forth and has made it a breeze to pay Canadian bills while I visit in the USA. When I move down I will keep this bank account because I have other stuff to deal with in Canada so it maybe worth looking into. I'm over in Victoria.

Terri

There's a rumour in the financial world that RBC may be selling off their US subsidiary in which case RBC may or may not be a good option in the future.

http://www.wral.com/business/story/9403905/

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

They are still looking at the sale of RBC (USA) but this is what I had found when I was looking into the banking issue: http://banknerd.ca/2011/08/15/rbc-bank-sale-faq/

It sounds like they are trying to keep everything the exact same for clients.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I found signing up for customhouse.com much easier than switching banks. All you have to do is sign up for an account with them and do a verification process and then you can transfer money between US and Canadian accounts (usually takes 4-5 bus. days) for free. The exchange rate is also good.

I like this option because I like using Chase Bank in NYC (there's one on every corner!) and have a line of credit/credit card with TD Canada Trust in Canada that I need to access online anyways.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Td had no issue with me being in the usa, i just send them a cheque each month for my payment. but it does take about 30 days for them to get it and process the payment. what they did recomend was closing the account, i could still get a statement pay my balnce and have a minimum monthly but i was no longer able to use the card as an actual credit card. for me this was better in the end anyway.

HWDWm6.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.