naijaboy

Warning issued for Americans in Nigeria

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-11-06/africa/world_africa_nigeria-violence_1_boko-haram-nigerian-taliban-abuja?_s=PM:AFRICA

Following an outbreak of violence that left more than 100 people dead, the U.S. Mission in Nigeria issued a warning to Americans on Sunday, saying more attacks may be imminent in the northeastern part of the nation.

"Following the recent Boko Haram, aka Nigerian Taliban, attacks in Borno and Yobe State, the U.S. Embassy has received information that Boko Haram may plan to attack several locations and hotels in Abuja, Nigeria, during the Sallah holiday," the mission said. Sallah is the Nigerian name for the Eid al-Adha Muslim holiday.

The Muslim militant group Boko Haram's stated goal is to establish a state based on Sharia, or Islamic law, in the predominantly Muslim states of northern Nigeria. Loosely translated, the group's name means "Western education is sinful."

According to the U.S. mission, other potential targets may include the Nicon Luxury, the Sheraton Hotel and the Transcorp Hilton Hotel. U.S. government personnel were instructed to avoid those locations, and any previously scheduled events were canceled.

"American citizens should expect additional police and military checkpoints, additional security and possible road blocks in Abuja for the foreseeable future," the mission statement said.

Attacks have targeted police stations, mosques and churches in northeastern Nigeria, the Red Cross said. There was no official claim of responsibility from Boko Haram.

Pope Benedict XVI on Sunday called for an end to the violence during his weekly Sunday Angelus prayer.

"I am following with apprehension the tragic episodes that have taken place in Nigeria over the last days," the pope said. "While I pray for the victims, I invite an end to the violence, which doesn't resolve the problems but increase them, sowing hatred and divisions even amongst the faithful."

Scores of people, potentially more than 100, were injured in a three-hour rampage in the Yobe state city of Damaturu, according to Ibrahim Bulama of the Red Cross. More than 100 people died in what he described as "a very bad scene." Bulama initially said 63 people died, but revised the death toll upward Sunday.

Gunmen first attacked the police headquarters and the anti-terror office before moving to churches and mosques, he said. Most of the casualties were police officers.

In Potiskum, also located in Yobe state, gunmen attacked a book shop near the police station, killing two and injuring five, the Red Cross said.

Nigeria's main opposition party, the Action Congress of Nigeria, said in a statement Sunday it was "horrified" at the attacks.

"It is now apparent that those saddled with ensuring the security of lives and property in the country are grossly incapable of doing so, hence the need to shake up the security agencies and put more capable men and women in charge," the statement said. "The shake up must not spare any of the security chiefs. This is about taking responsibility."

The Friday attacks came the same day that suicide bombers suspected of belonging to Boko Haram targeted a military base in nearby Maiduguri.

Three suicide bombers drove a stolen black SUV toward a Joint Task Force headquarters, but could not get through the gate, military spokesman Lt. Col. Hassan Mohammed said. The blast damaged the roofs and walls of the base.

Mohammed said two other simultaneous explosions took place at other military facilities. An unspecified number of Nigerian soldiers suffered injuries.

Saturday evening, a suicide bomber launched another attack in Maiduguri, Mohammed said. No casualties were reported except for the bomber. He also blamed Boko Haram for the attacks.

The Red Cross official said Boko Haram is suspected in the Damaturu attack as well.

Nov 9th 2010 Petition received at California Service Center

May 4th 2011 Received petition Approval letter

May 12th 2011 Received Letter from NVC stating info has been forwarded to Lagos consulate office

July 14th 2011 Received Fiancé Visa packet and interview date (via email)

Sept 20th 2011 Interview day! Visa not approved.. Requesting more proof :-(

Sept 28th 2011 Second interview scheduled for early December :-)

Dec 5th 2011 Interview rescheduled consulate office caught fire :-(

Dec 6th 2011 Visa APPROVED!!!! :-D

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Thanks for sharing I pray for the Northestern Part and Abuja residents that all remain safe :thumbs:

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Thanks for sharing I pray for the Northestern Part and Abuja residents that all remain safe :thumbs:

Amen!!

Toni

07/17/2008.......WEDDING DAY!!!!
USCIS STAGE (for me):
06/09/2010.......SENT I-130 TO USCIS
06/15/2010.......NOA1 & RECEIPT DATE (CSC)
11/03/2010.......NOA2 Email received-APPROVED!!-141 days

NVC STAGE (for him):
11/08/2010.......NVC Case # Assigned
11/19/2010.......DS-3032 received via email
07/02/2011.......IV (DS-230) Package mailed//NVC Received-7/5/2011
07/14/2011........CASE COMPLETE!!!
07/15/2011........SIF!!!

EMBASSY STAGE (for us):
8/23/2011.........Medical-Part 1
8/24/2011.........Medical-Part 2(Completed!)
9/12/2011.........INTERVIEW @ 10:00AM - APPROVED!! (IR-1 Visa)

POE: DECEMBER 3rd, Washington, D.C. (IAD)!!!

1/10/2012........Green Card in Hand!
02/07/2012........Rec'd. Social Security Card

Naturalization Journey:

09-27-2016................Mailed N-400

11-03-2016................Biometrics

Notified 2/13/2017........2-8-2017.....Case Is In Line For An Interview

3/23/2017 @ 9AM......Interview

4/13/2017...................OATH CEREMONY!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

http://articles.cnn....ja?_s=PM:AFRICA

Following an outbreak of violence that left more than 100 people dead, the U.S. Mission in Nigeria issued a warning to Americans on Sunday, saying more attacks may be imminent in the northeastern part of the nation.

"Following the recent Boko Haram, aka Nigerian Taliban, attacks in Borno and Yobe State, the U.S. Embassy has received information that Boko Haram may plan to attack several locations and hotels in Abuja, Nigeria, during the Sallah holiday," the mission said. Sallah is the Nigerian name for the Eid al-Adha Muslim holiday.

The Muslim militant group Boko Haram's stated goal is to establish a state based on Sharia, or Islamic law, in the predominantly Muslim states of northern Nigeria. Loosely translated, the group's name means "Western education is sinful."

According to the U.S. mission, other potential targets may include the Nicon Luxury, the Sheraton Hotel and the Transcorp Hilton Hotel. U.S. government personnel were instructed to avoid those locations, and any previously scheduled events were canceled.

"American citizens should expect additional police and military checkpoints, additional security and possible road blocks in Abuja for the foreseeable future," the mission statement said.

Attacks have targeted police stations, mosques and churches in northeastern Nigeria, the Red Cross said. There was no official claim of responsibility from Boko Haram.

Pope Benedict XVI on Sunday called for an end to the violence during his weekly Sunday Angelus prayer.

"I am following with apprehension the tragic episodes that have taken place in Nigeria over the last days," the pope said. "While I pray for the victims, I invite an end to the violence, which doesn't resolve the problems but increase them, sowing hatred and divisions even amongst the faithful."

Scores of people, potentially more than 100, were injured in a three-hour rampage in the Yobe state city of Damaturu, according to Ibrahim Bulama of the Red Cross. More than 100 people died in what he described as "a very bad scene." Bulama initially said 63 people died, but revised the death toll upward Sunday.

Gunmen first attacked the police headquarters and the anti-terror office before moving to churches and mosques, he said. Most of the casualties were police officers.

In Potiskum, also located in Yobe state, gunmen attacked a book shop near the police station, killing two and injuring five, the Red Cross said.

Nigeria's main opposition party, the Action Congress of Nigeria, said in a statement Sunday it was "horrified" at the attacks.

"It is now apparent that those saddled with ensuring the security of lives and property in the country are grossly incapable of doing so, hence the need to shake up the security agencies and put more capable men and women in charge," the statement said. "The shake up must not spare any of the security chiefs. This is about taking responsibility."

The Friday attacks came the same day that suicide bombers suspected of belonging to Boko Haram targeted a military base in nearby Maiduguri.

Three suicide bombers drove a stolen black SUV toward a Joint Task Force headquarters, but could not get through the gate, military spokesman Lt. Col. Hassan Mohammed said. The blast damaged the roofs and walls of the base.

Mohammed said two other simultaneous explosions took place at other military facilities. An unspecified number of Nigerian soldiers suffered injuries.

Saturday evening, a suicide bomber launched another attack in Maiduguri, Mohammed said. No casualties were reported except for the bomber. He also blamed Boko Haram for the attacks.

The Red Cross official said Boko Haram is suspected in the Damaturu attack as well.

We appreciate the updates and news. My family is praying for the country as a whole because we never know where they will truly go to hurt, kill and destroy but God is Fatihful. Thank you again.

The World is Yours to Experience....Venture out into it and find Love!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

http://articles.cnn....ja?_s=PM:AFRICA

Thanks for the update I was planning on travel there for Sallah but my destination was Lagos not Abuja. Do you ever hear of attacks in the Ogun state area? I ask cos i have people there that i lost contact with.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Thanks for the update I was planning on travel there for Sallah but my destination was Lagos not Abuja. Do you ever hear of attacks in the Ogun state area? I ask cos i have people there that i lost contact with.

No not at all, all the attacks are in the northern muslim majority states. None in the southern christian majority states so far

Edited by naijaboy

Nov 9th 2010 Petition received at California Service Center

May 4th 2011 Received petition Approval letter

May 12th 2011 Received Letter from NVC stating info has been forwarded to Lagos consulate office

July 14th 2011 Received Fiancé Visa packet and interview date (via email)

Sept 20th 2011 Interview day! Visa not approved.. Requesting more proof :-(

Sept 28th 2011 Second interview scheduled for early December :-)

Dec 5th 2011 Interview rescheduled consulate office caught fire :-(

Dec 6th 2011 Visa APPROVED!!!! :-D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.