Ash&Dave

Wanna use Rental Car for POE - Pickup in Toronto and drop off in the US.

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Gotta give you props for that :). I actually went to school in TX and when I moved back home to Toronto couple of years, I drove as well. It took me about 30 hours and it was a blast too :)

if you like to drive, why not!! I drove from DC to Saskatoon and back this past Spring and had a good time! I was on no set schedule, so didn't have to rush, but its a nice way to see the country!! Just me and the dog!! Have a good trip

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Timeline

For those who might be interested, it costing me $320.00 to get to Buffalo (it's high coz of the drop off fee) and then $780.00 to get to Texas (2 days rental as I'm planning on getting there in record time (FINGERS CROSSED :)

QUESTION: I'm almost positive that the folks at the US side of the border won't have any issues with my rental going into the US as long as I carry the right papers from the rental company? Those of you who have done the POE from a neighboring border using a rental car/Truck can perhaps shed some light on this?

I love driving. But I'm an anomalie. lol

Look up the cost for a week's rental, Dave. You usually get the best deals that way.

I've driven a rental across the border a few times. Sometimes they ask you if it's a rental or you own it. You tell them and then you're on your way. Nothing too special about it. Have fun!

iagree.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

if you like to drive, why not!! I drove from DC to Saskatoon and back this past Spring and had a good time! I was on no set schedule, so didn't have to rush, but its a nice way to see the country!! Just me and the dog!! Have a good trip

That sounds like fun, I've all the way up to Toronto once before from Texas so I'm kind of use to it, however this time around I have this extra stress of car full of stuff and whatever they'll do at the POE!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I love driving. But I'm an anomalie. lol

Look up the cost for a week's rental, Dave. You usually get the best deals that way.

I've driven a rental across the border a few times. Sometimes they ask you if it's a rental or you own it. You tell them and then you're on your way. Nothing too special about it. Have fun!

LOL, I love driving to and since I've been living and working right downtown for over a year now, I haven't done alot of driving, so I'm excited to get going, it'll be one hell of a ride. I have never taken a rental across the border, it's always been my own car, but yeah, as long as I get a paper saying it's getting dropped of across the border, I think I should be ok! And thanks I'm planning on it :)

-Dave

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

For those who might be interested, it costing me $320.00 to get to Buffalo (it's high coz of the drop off fee) and then $780.00 to get to Texas (2 days rental as I'm planning on getting there in record time (FINGERS CROSSED :)

Why is the SUV rental $780. That's totally insane price if you are returning it back to buffalo. Have you checked online at like Kayak or such? I'm sure you could find a SUV rental for a hell of a lot less at Buffalo and probably by the same company too. Or better yet Autoslash where you book it and if the price rate drops after you buy it, you will be reimbursed the difference and only pay the lowest price. If you are doing that one one way (I thought it was only the car from Canada to Buffalo that was a different drop off), then I could see that.

I've never taken a Canadian rental car over to the US before, but I've driven a Michigan rental into Canada many times. There is no issue in doing so. And 2 days from Buffalo to Eastern or east central Texas is about average so you shouldn't have any problems other than the boring scenery until you get into Tennessee...

Edited by warlord

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

My fiance is flying into buffalo and then renting from Penske to drive up to get me, it's cheaper than paying a moving company, for us, but we're renting for the whole week. I priced out SUVs, cars and trucks (which we ended up going with) and I think you're paying too much. I would definitely look at a weekly rental, and if you're in Toronto, I would look at taking a bus across the border. Hell, if you can get enough friends to go with you, you can use Megabus which currently costs 10$ Toronto to Buffalo using code fall10. (I say to bring friends, as you're only allowed 1 stowed luggage 50lbs max and 1 carry on per passenger, and you'd need them to each take a couple of your things! It might still be worth it, and your friends could enjoy a day shopping in Buffalo with you before you say goodbye!)

Jan 21 2011 sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox - they lost it
Mar 22 2011 - Sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox second time
May 2 2011 - NOA1 at CSC
July 15 2011 - NOA2!!!
July 21 2011 - Hardcopy of NOA2 received in mail
Aug 9 2011 - Case forwarded to Montreal
Sep 7 2011 - Packet 4 sent from embassy
Oct 27 2011 - Interview
Nov 12 2011 - Intended POE VISA delayed due to typo on son's name at the consulate
Nov 22 2011 - Picked up Visa
Nov 26 2011 - New intended POE date
Dec 10 2011 - Wedding

Jan 12 2012 - Sent AOS package
Feb 1 2012 - They send rejection notice, they lost a signature page
Feb 4 2012 - Resent package
Feb 14 2012 - NOA2
Feb 22 2012 - NOA3
March 21 2012 - Biometrics
March 30 2012 - NOA4
May 16 2012 - Interview date

April 2014 - application for I751 Removal of Conditions
May 7 2014 - NOA for notice of receipt and extension letter received
May 8 2014- Verification of inclusion of a dependent letter received
Not dated but in May - letter requesting interview received
July 10 2014 - ASC appointment notice for biometrics received

July 24 2014 Biometrics appointment

Jan 22 2015 - USCIS call

March 18 2015 - USCIS call

April 2 2015 - USCIS call

May 14 2015 - Infopass appt

July 21 2015 - infopass appt

Sept 18 2015 - infopass appt
Feb 25 2016 - USCIS call
Feb 25 2016 - Ombudsman request form sent

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Have you tries Alamo car rental? I know they do major airport to major airport rentals even from Canada. My hubby rented from them in Ottawa and dropped off in Detroit and it was $200.00. You may want to compare prices.

Edited by S and P

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.