Derry Lea

removing conditions when divorced?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Hey guys,I need some help for a friend of mine.What happens when you have to apply for the 10 year green card when you were just recently divorced?I know you have to get a waver,but what is the process.A friend of mine (the US citizen) is looking to get a divorce and we want to find out what will his future ex wife have to do in order to get her documents straight.They really don't want to wait at all.And also how long do you have to wait in the state of Illinois after you get a divorce before you decide to get married again or apply for a fiance visa?Any ideas?Thanks for the help

Hey guys,I need some help for a friend of mine.What happens when you have to apply for the 10 year green card when you were just recently divorced?I know you have to get a waver,but what is the process.A friend of mine (the US citizen) is looking to get a divorce and we want to find out what will his future ex wife have to do in order to get her documents straight.They really don't want to wait at all.And also how long do you have to wait in the state of Illinois after you get a divorce before you decide to get married again or apply for a fiance visa?Any ideas?Thanks for the help

The USCIS website has some information about filing when you're divorced here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=745218a1f8b73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=4ca43a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Also, be sure to follow the VJ guide to lift conditions as it also has very useful information: http://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide

The USCIS instructions also clearly lay out what to do when filing after a divorce: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-751instr.pdf

--According to the instructions, you need to include a copy of the divorce decree with the application.

I'm not familiar with the Illinois laws about marrying after a divorce but I've always understood that once a divorce is complete, you are free to remarry. A quick google search may provide a more concrete answer, or maybe someone else knows more about that.

AOS

09/21/08- Phil arrives in US

08/15/09- Wedding

10/16/09- Mailed out AOS package

01/14/10- Interview completed - Approved!

01/23/10- Conditional Green Card received!

ROC

10/17/11- Mailed ROC package

10/19/11- Package arrives at VSC

10/20/11- NOA1 issued

10/24/11- "Touch"

10/24/11- Check cashed

10/26/11- NOA1 received

11/23/11- Biometrics appointment

01/14/12- Conditional GC Expired

07/17/12- Approved! - Notification of card production

07/23/12- Notification of card being mailed

07/25/12- 10 year GC received!

0e871ca96e.png?html

~~~~

Be the change you wish to see in the world

Filed: Other Timeline

Once they split, the immigrant needs to file with the waiver. You know that already.

The I-751 will be accepted by USCIS, but once they find out that there's no divorce decree in the package, which can take many weeks, she will get an RFE for it. The application cannot be adjudicated without the divorce being final. That means that timing is of the essence, more precisely, that a person who has not been divorced needs to wait as long as possible before filing for RoC.

If a couple gets divorced before the 2-year window opens, the foreigner is required to file for RoC right away.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.