AmyWrites

Don't know how to start

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

So the SO and I get married in February, but I have to move back to the US in August. Obviously I'd like to bring him with me.

I checked the Moscow embassy page, and all they're talking about is the K-3 visa, which to my understanding, is all but dead.

I don't want to apply for a CR1 since I'd like to come back to the States with him, but I see nothing about being able to apply for DCF in Moscow.

Another issue is that I'm a student, which means, I'm broke, and not a resident of Russia, so I don't even know if I am able to apply for DCF here. I am able to get a co-sponsor back in the States however.

Any recommendations?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

DCF requires you to be a legal resident of the country to file.

Even if you did file a K-3 you cannot bring him with you until the visa is approved for him and stamped in his passport. Takes around the same time as a CR-1 (8months to 1year)

There is really nothing you can do but file and wait.

Russia does have a USCIS office and so does accept DCF but you must be a legal resident which you said you are not.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=1ac900c262197210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=1ac900c262197210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

If I understand correctly, you are not yet married. If so, then go the K-1 route as it is usually quicker than the other methods. Check the time lines for Fiance visa's and you might choose to get married after he arrives in the USA. Unfortunately, there is no quick method. :(

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

If you are on a student visa I would try for DCF. You have to "legally reside" in Russia. Not be a permanent resident. Worth a shot, worst thing they can say is no.

http://moscow.usembassy.gov/ivisas.html

scroll to paragraph where it says "The Moscow Field Office of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services accepts immigrant visa petitions filed only by American citizens resident in Russia on behalf of their relatives any working day between 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m."

If they say no and you are a glutton for paperwork punishment you could try to get your Russian V.N.ZH. after the marriage, processing time is typically 6 months once you have the documents together (which isn't easy) so you could be ready to file DCF by August. The last person on here that did DCF in Moscow I believe got her I-130 approved the same day.

Edited by elya

2009/06/19 - 1st NOA 1 (I-129F)

2009/10/07 - NOA 2

2010/01/11 - interview; result - approved

2010/01/18 - received passport with visa in the mail

2010/02/05 - embassy calls and asked to return visa for a "correction"

2010/02/09 - fiance returns passport with visa to embassy

2010/03/09 - embassy tells us we are in "administrative review"

2010/09/07 - fiance receives passport back with canceled visa and letter; our petition has been returned to USCIS

2010/11/08 - 2nd NOA 1 (I-129F ROUND 2)

2011/04/19 - service request response - 6 months additional extensive background checks

2011/08/22 - 2nd NOA 2

2011/10/04 - interview

2011/10/20 - visa received

2011/11/04 - POE

2011/11/25 - legal marriage

2012/07/21 - wedding with family and friends!!

Timeline

I have several friends and acquaintances who have done DCF and none of them had permanent residency. Getting the V.N.ZH that elya mentions is not cheap or easy, although you are exempt from the quota since you are married to a Russian citizen. It is not worth it if you're not actually planning on living in Russia permanently. Remember also that people with that need to get exit visas to LEAVE Russia.

I would start the process of DCF now. You may also want to look into employment through a language school for after August, since I assume that you're studying and your student visa will run out then. A language school would be able to provide you with a working visa or a student visa for the duration of the time between when your student visa runs out and your husband gets his ok to move to the States, if necessary. Remember, too, that getting a work permit takes three months, so you'd need to start the process early if you're going to go for a work visa.

You definitely fit the requirements for DCF, going by other people I know who have done DCF in Moscow. So just start ASAP.

Money-wise... I think your parents or whoever can just do an affidavit of support for you guys, just the same as if you were to do CR-1.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

Problem is, I HAVE to leave Russia by August to finish my dual degree thing in the States (did the part needed in Russia already). I do plan to come back to Russia after graduation, but that might be in one-three years, and I'd like to have my SO with me by then.

I'm going to look into all of these options and let ya'll know.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The process to Russian permanent residence is not much easier than the process to a Green Card. First, you get a temporary residence permit (разрешение на временное проживание на территории РФ). Ordinarily, there is a quota but it doesn't apply to spouses of Russian citizens. One of the requirements is proof of income or savings. Another requirement is a Police Certificate from the US with an Apostille that is less that 3 months old (apparently, due to the timeline stack up this is difficult because the clock starts ticking as soon as it is issued but you still need to get it, send it back for an Apostille and then get it to Russia).

After a year you can apply for permanent residence (вид на жительство) which will take another 6 months or so to process. This is probably what is meant by V.N.ZH. since the abbreviation lines up but it's not really an option for you, as you can see. As a side note, after you get this permanent residence, you can apply for citizenship after a certain number of years but if you are married to a Russian you can apply for citizenship immediately.

However, I believe that a previous poster is correct that you just need to be a legal resident of the country, not a permanent resident for DCF. Even a student visa will suffice for this. From a US standpoint, the embassy sees it as very similar.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

DCF requires you to be a legal resident of the country to file.

Even if you did file a K-3 you cannot bring him with you until the visa is approved for him and stamped in his passport. Takes around the same time as a CR-1 (8months to 1year)

There is really nothing you can do but file and wait.

Russia does have a USCIS office and so does accept DCF but you must be a legal resident which you said you are not.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=1ac900c262197210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=1ac900c262197210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Inky, thank you, but the requirement is to "legally reside" not be a "legal resident" or permanent resident. The DCF is very often used by military and US government personnel who are not "permanent residents" of the country which they are stationed in.

I would strongly suggest she get herself over to the USCIS office and verify what she needs to do.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

The process to Russian permanent residence is not much easier than the process to a Green Card. First, you get a temporary residence permit (разрешение на временное проживание на территории РФ). Ordinarily, there is a quota but it doesn't apply to spouses of Russian citizens. One of the requirements is proof of income or savings. Another requirement is a Police Certificate from the US with an Apostille that is less that 3 months old (apparently, due to the timeline stack up this is difficult because the clock starts ticking as soon as it is issued but you still need to get it, send it back for an Apostille and then get it to Russia).

After a year you can apply for permanent residence (вид на жительство) which will take another 6 months or so to process. This is probably what is meant by V.N.ZH. since the abbreviation lines up but it's not really an option for you, as you can see. As a side note, after you get this permanent residence, you can apply for citizenship after a certain number of years but if you are married to a Russian you can apply for citizenship immediately.

However, I believe that a previous poster is correct that you just need to be a legal resident of the country, not a permanent resident for DCF. Even a student visa will suffice for this. From a US standpoint, the embassy sees it as very similar.

Moot point. If she is legally present in the country she should be fine. This is used all the time by US servicemen, who go voerseas for 13 months and come home with a foreign wife.

Why do you think there are so many women around Ft Knox with names like "Yong Sun Smith"?

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Moot point. If she is legally present in the country she should be fine. This is used all the time by US servicemen, who go voerseas for 13 months and come home with a foreign wife.

Why do you think there are so many women around Ft Knox with names like "Yong Sun Smith"?

:thumbs: Or any U.S. Air Force base.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

:thumbs: Or any U.S. Air Force base.

Boy I miss Osan.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Boy I miss Osan.

I miss Ukraine! have you seen Kip's newest vid he posted? :(

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Boy I miss Osan.

Were you were stationed at Osan? If you were stationed there, I envy you, lord knows I had tooo much fun in Korea.

I Flew into Osan twice for a much needed 15 day leave each time. Same with Taegu Air Base, (now Daegu) spent some time in Pusan (now Busan) and Seoul shopping and having more fun than should be legally allowed.

Although I love Kim Chee/kimchi, don't miss smelling it first thing in the morning...on people that is.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Were you were stationed at Osan? If you were stationed there, I envy you, lord knows I had tooo much fun in Korea.

I Flew into Osan twice for a much needed 15 day leave each time. Same with Taegu Air Base, (now Daegu) spent some time in Pusan (now Busan) and Seoul shopping and having more fun than should be legally allowed.

Although I love Kim Chee/kimchi, don't miss smelling it first thing in the morning...on people that is.

I remember the smell of kimchi permeating the air in Pohang, Taegu, etc. The blast of kimchi as the bus windows go down...

On a related note, a chef here in our city is doing some pretty creative things with kimchi - mostly tapas. There is a beef hot dog with summer kimchi and wasabi sauce that is pretty tasty, and a duck confit sandwich with kimchi. Sounds weird but tastes good.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

I remember the smell of kimchi permeating the air in Pohang, Taegu, etc. The blast of kimchi as the bus windows go down...

On a related note, a chef here in our city is doing some pretty creative things with kimchi - mostly tapas. There is a beef hot dog with summer kimchi and wasabi sauce that is pretty tasty, and a duck confit sandwich with kimchi. Sounds weird but tastes good.

Kimchi would probably prevent me from ever marrying a Korean woman. Bul-go-gee, on the other hand..... :D

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.