qwerty1974

Police Certificates UK

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just a quick question and I'm sure the answer is 'no, what you have will be fine' but just to be on the safe side...some immi sites say you must get a police certificate from every place/constabulary you've lived since 16?? I applied for mine via ACPO which I'm sure is centralised (aside from Scotland, but I've never lived there anyway). I don't need to reapply for every county I've lived in do I??? That'd be a pretty expensive and time consuming effort!! ;)

Edited by MYRIAD

No. ACPO centralized everything. It was new sometime early 2008. Prior to that, the local police headquarters was the way to do it. There used to be a sticky at the top of this UK forum alerting people about the new ACPO police certificate that replaced the old way to do it.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hmm - I did a little research and it seems like the embassy requires people from Scotland to bring the ACPO certificate - they have turned people away who only have one from Scotland. Hoping we're safe - as we don't have time to change it now.

Timeline

I hope you'll be fine. I think I googled 'do you need a police certificate from every county' and I found a site saying that ACPO centralise it....except for scotland, for which you'd need a different certificate.

Okay, just did another search and this site came up which now DOES say Scotland is covered by ACPO http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/general/formsandfees/formsandguides/policecertificate/uv/uk.htm

Fingers crossed that this site is correct and not the one I read earlier...good luck :)

Hey Ladies---

Stop using out-dated books and websites with old information. Immigration in general and London specifically have constantly changed since 2008 when I jumped in. Go to the source. Read the London website http://london.usembassy.gov/interview_documents.html

Police Certificates for the United Kingdom: A visa applicant who has resided in the United Kingdom for 6 months or more since the age of 16, is required to obtain a police certificate from the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO). Further information is available from their website at www.acpo.police.uk . This police certificate will serve to advise the U.S. Embassy, London whether or not any criminal conviction is held against him/her. The police certificate will be sent to the applicant's address provided at the time of application. Please note that the Immigrant Visa Unit considers the police certificate valid for 12 months from the date of issuance, not six months as stated on the certificate.

And here http://london.usembassy.gov/application_documents.html

Police Certificates for the United Kingdom: A visa applicant who has resided in the United Kingdom for 6 months or more since the age of 16, is required to obtain a police certificate from the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO). Please follow this link for further information.

They would tell you if there were special rules for Scotland.

Just for reference, here's some changes I've seen:

1. Fees have changed.
  2. Fiance petitions go to the Texas Lockbox instead directly to VSC or CSC.
  3. G-325a form was 4 identical pages, each of which had to be signed.
  4. Tax returns-notarized and 3 years required for I-864. Now no notary and one required (three optional)
  5. I-134 had a place at the end for a notary to witness and sign.
  6. HPV was a required shot for women up to age 26.
  7. People were tested for HIV at the medical. HIV doesn't matter any more.
  8. London sent out paper instructions and forms.
  9. Police certificates were obtained at the local stations of every town where you had lived
  10. The readiness for interview was a checklist you actually put check marks on and mailed back.
  11. The medical didn't have to be done to get an interview.
  12. You could get your medical the day before, the day of, or after your interview and they held everything until they received the results.
  13. Everybody paid for the visa at the embassy.
  14. They divided up the lines for interviews by time and had signs and separaters-- 8:00 line, 8:30 line, 9:00 line..and you could not get in a line early but waited until they opened each line.
  15. The embassy provided a place to hold your things not allowed inside. Nobody visited Gould's.

That's all that pops into my brain right now----

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

I thought of another London change

16. DS-157 is done by everybody now. Former wording was: DS-157, "Supplemental Nonimmigrant Visa Application” (to be completed by all male applicants aged 16 to 45 plus all male and female applicants aged 15 and over who hold a passport from China, Cuba, lran, North Russia, Sudan or Syria)

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Thankyou for that......good to know about the DS157, I filled it out just in case.

They tell you to fill it out DS-157 in the K1 instructions. There is no "just in case". It is required in London. I think you are starting to get "visa head" and everything is going mushy from reading too many opinions and websites. Focus on what London tells you to do on their website. It is your most current information and accurate information.

Did you miss post #7 where I showed how outdated websites or two year old posts might no longer be true? My list of 16 changes (I could think of) was to show you how procedures change and what was once true, no longer is. Focus on the instructions London gives you and I will stop adding to your confusion by answering your posts. I've already told you everything I know in my K1 Guide anyway, so no need to tell it again.

I hope everything goes speedy for you and the kids get in school by January. (F)

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

'visa head'....um, yep, definitely :rofl: I'd say that was about right ;) lol Thanks for the best wishes and thanks for the help....will focus on Embassy website and try to resist getting drawn and wound into VJ threads!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.