cmoore25

Interview Checklist?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Does anybody have an interview checklist that they used, and would be willing to share, of things to make sure to bring to the interview?

I have one from a book I've been using as a guide, but I feel like it might be outdated, and not to mention it has given me some wrong information.

I just want to go over everything Allan has to make sure we have everything - if not, I'll need to mail it out this week!

Thank you :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

NOA1 &NOA2 (sometimes)

Proof of ongoing relationship :phone bills, cards, emails, mails, screenshots of chat,

ITR

W2

Police cert from abroad (if you lived outside Philippines for at least 6mos, vacation doesn't count)

Updated Letter of Intent (sometimes)

Affidavit of support..the ff are the supporting documents..

Insurance papers is theres any

-Petitioners Mortgage papers is theres any

-Petitioners bank account statements

-Petitioners Employment Letter

-Pay stubs

DS156

DS156k

DS157

G325A

NBI

Your Birth cert (cert true copy)

Cert of Singleness

Annulment papers (if applicable)

Divorce Decree (if applicable)

BPI receipt

NVC letter

Letter of intent

2x2 pics (4pcs?)

Appointment Letter

Passport

Pictures (at least 6 is ok, taken with family, background should be showing no shades or hat, no kissing & offensive photos, showing happy faces)

Let's wait for the other Scotts here. This is from USEM Manila list, some stuff don't apply, sometimes they need something else.

Edited by teapotgurl1983

Happy New Year!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I don't think you need a copy of either.

The documents required for the London K-1 interview are outlined here: http://london.usembassy.gov/interview_documents.html

I'm not sure why people suggest taking anything more. It's best to stick to the instructions of your consulate (though I suppose taking more than you require would only be, at worst, a waste of time).

The one point I'm currently unsure about is a note on the DS-156-K requesting "evidence of engagement". Can someone advise what this means?

Heres what I took to mine:

Appointment letter

MRV receipt

Birth certificate & photocopy (with both parents name on it)

2 US size passport photos

Deed poll & photocopy (changed surname when parents got divorced)

Passport and photocopy of main passport page just in case

Police certificate & photocopy

My bank statement just in case

Copy of vaccinations and medical results

Boarding pass from when I last visited my SO (just incase)

as for the I-134 here goes:

2 original, signed i-134 forms

Letter from company

W2s from last year

Tax return from 2010 (notarised)

SO's bank statement

5 Pay slips

More bank statements from Feb '11 onwards

They only asked for the employer's letter and no other financial evidence.

TIMELINE

2 0 1 1

3rd Feb - 129f Sent

10th Feb - NOA1

16th May - NOA2

8th August - Interview in London. APPROVED!

29th August - POE at SFO

7th Oct - Married

10th Oct - AOS Filed

17th Oct - NOA Letter(s)

20th Oct - Biometrics Letter (for 14th Nov)

28th Oct - Biometrics (walk-in)

2 0 1 2

3 Jan - Service Request Put In

13 Jan - EAD Approved

17 Jan - Interview Notice Received

24 Jan - EAD in hand

16 Feb - Interview Date. APPROVED!

2 0 1 3 / 2 0 1 4

21 Nov - ROC Filed

2 Dec - NOA

6 Jan - Biometrics (walk-in)

15 May - Card Ordered / Approved

The LONDON list:

Appointment letter

MRV receipt

And anything below that applies to him. (If he's not married then no marriage certificate. If he hasn't been in prison, then no prison records. If he wasn't adopted....etc.) Take photocopies of anything you want back like birth certificate and important personal documents. If you could easily print out another copy (like the I-134) then no photocopy needed. This is for you, not the embassy. Just don't give them your only copy of a document because they will keep it if you don't provide a photocopy for them to file after they have verified the original. Stack the papers up and ask yourself..."do I want this back? If so, make a photocopy.

Birth Certificate (version with parent's names on it)

Adoption Certificate

Passport (with at least 8 months of validity left beyond visa date)

Marriage Certificate

Termination of Prior Marriages

Military Records

Affidavit of Support (I-134 and two good proofs of income)

Police Certificates

Court and Prison Records

Photographs (2 passport style)

Translations (of anything not in English)

That is all London wants. You don't need to over-complicate it. The London list is different from the Manila list. There is really no "just in case" for London except maybe spare copies of the DS-forms just in case they crept out of the file. The NOA1 and NOA2 will NEVER be asked for. They know you were approved or they wouldn't have received a case for you. And if you mail that NOA2 overseas, and fiance can't find it after the move, then you've got troubles to sort because it's needed for AOS.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Nich-Nick, do you know what is meant by the "evidence of engagement" request on the DS-156-K?

Is it at all relevant or is it just a relic?

Thanks.

The form itself is worldwide. It may be relevant for another embassy. Those items listed on the DS-156K might be attached to the form in another country. But for interviews in London, no documents are mailed in with the form but rather presented at the interview. And nobody has ever been asked to prove their engagement, or additional visits, or photos together, or how often they Skype each other at a London interview. It just does not happen.

When you compare typical American/British engaged couples, they may have met on the internet, but they share a common language and are free to visit and have a relationship thanks to visa waiver. It's not typical to find "mail order" websites to pick out an English bride, so there's little reason to further investigate if you actually know the person and have lavished them with visits, a ring, gifts, or monthly support. England is not an impoverished country that males are desperate to leave so they find a American woman 20 years older to woo. I'm not criticizing other legitimate relationships that do become perfect marriages, but there is often fraud that occurs in other nations that makes it harder for everyone at those consulates to "prove" they are a real couple. London does not feel the need to dig into the relationship, so they just get on with the birth certificate, police report, affidavit of support, a short chat and the interview is over.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Nich-Nick - Thanks for the list! I had actually found one you posted to answer another persons question a few years back too - but boy did it take some searching to get it! Usually they pop right up. :) I always wondered why London was so "easy" compared to stories I've heard from other embassies! That's a insightful explanation!

Timeline

Jingo - thanks for pointing out what they ask for regarding the I-134. I was wondering! I sent a letter from my employer, pay stubs and tax transcripts. I had a letter from my bank, I just didn't send it as they messed up my name and address and I didn't want it to be questioned. That settles me down a bit that the letter from the employer was sufficient!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.