Soulmates513

Canada Pension and Old Age Security Pension

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

Does anyone know if you need to file any paperwork before leaving for the US for the Canada Pension and Old Age Security Pension. I know as Canadians you're eligible for Canada pension after so many years working but unsure if you can collect the old age security pension. I know you must file documents with CRA advising them when you leave Canada so I'm assuming this may be the only record we have to file?

If anyone can assist with this or have any links from websites that are helpful would be much appreciated.

Just wanted to be sure that I file any paperwork before I go to ensure I am eligible when the time comes.

If anyone has a list of "things to do" before you leave I would appreciate it very much. Like who do you have to notify for address changes. I don't know if you also must notify OHIP (I'm in Ontario) or your drivers license branch, stuff like that. Do you have to cancel all of these and notify them of your U.S. address?

So much to think about and do....... :wacko:

Thank you again VJers :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have no idea about CPP or old age security, so hopefully someone else will chime in.

I changed my address at the bank, since you'll probably want to maintain a Canadian bank account to have your tax return direct deposited into it. I believe the CRA won't direct deposit money into a foreign bank account, plus some banks are kind of iffy with Canadian cheques. I changed my address with them 2 or 3 days before my POE. Also, if you bank with someone who charges you a monthly fee to maintain a chequing account, you'll want to ask them for the lowest rate. For example, my bank charged my $13/mo for unlimited transactions (it's a rip off, I know) so I changed it to the $3.95/mo account a few days before leaving.

Obviously the CRA is the most important to notify. You can do it on their website if you have an online account. Note: if you don't have an online account with the CRA, I *think* you have to call them to change your address. This is because in order to set up an online account they mail a code to you that you enter on their website. I changed my address with the CRA the day after I POE'd and then called them just to double check that the information on my file was correct. Remember that once you move you are no longer eligible to receive the HST/GST credits. If you receive an HST/GST credit dated AFTER you made your POE do not cash it!

Regarding OHIP, I've heard that you can just not bother with them because your card will eventually expire (although you're not eligible for OHIP after you POE, since you're not a permanent resident ;) that would be fraud) but I *think* the OHIP website says you should notify them when you move. Actually, I'm going to double check on that since I've been here for about a month and haven't contacted them :S

Also, you can ask Canada Post to forward your mail to your new address, but I heard it's $60 or something for a year, dunno if that's true. I didn't bother with that since I don't get a lot of mail.

Oh, DON'T cancel your driver's license! A lot of people drive with their Canadian licenses in the states. Don't know the specifics, exactly, since I don't have a driver's license, but it certainly does not harm you to keep your Canadian DL.

Edited by pocheros

Timeline

I accidentally quoted my own post here, and I can't find the delete button. >_>

Edit: Here is a pre-departure list, which I found in the Canada Immigration guide: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/216756-when-did-u-give-up-your-cdn-residency/page__p__3288403#entry3288403

Also, don't do something silly like cancel your SIN card :) Even if you're no longer living in Canada, you are a Canadian citizen and have a right to that SIN number! Not to mention you'll want it for filing taxes :lol:

Edited by pocheros

Timeline

I also just remembered that I changed my address with my phone provider (Bell) a few days before leaving, but didn't tell them that I intended to cancel my phone until a few weeks after making my POE. That's how I found out Bell has this nasty policy of requiring 30 days of notice to cancel your phone (I was not on a contract, by the way) which means that I'm getting billed for an entire month even though my phone is disconnected! So investigate your phone provider's cancellation policies so there's no surprises. Had I simply notified that I intend to cancel a few weeks earlier, I wouldn't be receiving a bill next month. Grr...

Edited by pocheros

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Here is the information you need to know about qualifying for CPP and OAS outside of Canada. You will get CPP based upon your contributions when you reach retirement age. You may or may not get OAS depending on if you meet the residency requirements (20 years after the age of 18 living in Canada). The amount of OAS is dependent on the number of years beyond 20 that you lived in Canada after you turned 18. You may also be affected by the Canada-US Tax Treaty which does address retirement benefits. http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/isp/pub/oas/oas.shtml

You should notify Service Canada of your change of address so they can continue to send you notifications about your CPP contributions.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Timeline

Thank you to both Pocheros and Kathryn41 for the very detailed and valuable information! Again, fellow VJers come through for us newbies! I am so thankful I found this site and such wonderful people that are so willing to help each other. My hope is that I too will be able to help others down the road. Thank you again you guys - sooooooooooo appreciated. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.