b1b2help

Need help with sister's admission at port of entry.Holding B1/B2 Visa, F1 rejected.

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Dear Sir/Ma'm

My sister has valid 5 years B1/B2 multiple entry US VISA.She came to US 2 years ago on my wedding and left after spending 3 months.

She applied for F1 visa in fall 2011 which did not get approved but her B1/B2 visa did not get cancelled. Now, she wants to come to US in Nov to visit my family and I. Is it a possibility that she can be denied port of entry on the basis that she may be entering US with another intent e.g studies in Spring 2012.

Can you please help? Thanks!!

Thanks!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

She could certainly have problems, why was she refused?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

Dear Sir/Ma'm

My sister has valid 5 years B1/B2 multiple entry US VISA.She came to US 2 years ago on my wedding and left after spending 3 months.

She applied for F1 visa in fall 2011 which did not get approved but her B1/B2 visa did not get cancelled. Now, she wants to come to US in Nov to visit my family and I. Is it a possibility that she can be denied port of entry on the basis that she may be entering US with another intent e.g studies in Spring 2012.

Thanks!!

Yes, it is certainly possible, because the CBP folks (border inspectors at the airport and land borders) have access to the same data bases as our embassies...and they can look up a refusal and see the notes entered by the consular official...and those notes may form the foundation for further questioning when she arrives in the US.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

She could very well be refused, she need to have strong ties showing she has no intentions of studying in US and this is just a visit and she would return back after the visit.

Also don’t attempt to enter on B1/2 and then later transfer to F1, would not work in her case as they already have it on record she was refused F1 earlier at embassy.

Filed: Other Timeline

It's possible, but not very likely.

Nothing is unimpossible.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Dear Sir/Ma'm

Thanks!!

Thanks much for the quick response. She already had her MBA in finance and wanted to come here for Masters in Engineering Mgmt in Fall 2011 but embassy rejected her visa in July saying that she already has Masters and they don't see any need for another masters. They also said that the university she was going to, is not a very good university. To summarize, she didn't appear to be a sincere student to the official.

We have already cancelled her admission at the university and now we just want her to come and visit the family here. I am her real brother setelled in US and due to my commitments here, it is not possible for me to visit India. We havn't met for almost 2 years and therefore, planned to have her and my mother come here, visit us and travel a bit of US.This is sole purpose of her visit. I am not sure if these reasons would be good enough to convince the officer. I mean this is the reality, not sure if we need to say something else to officer. Please advise if it is safe to come on B1/B2 visa or there are chances of deportation.

Also, we were planning to visit Disney Land in Orlando. Do you think it will be preferable to have my family (mother and sister) come to Orlando first which is a famous tourist spot and then to my home in Wisconsin. Any guidance and suggestions will be much appericiated. Thanks again for all of your time!!!

She could certainly have problems, why was she refused?

Thanks much for the quick response. She already had her MBA in finance and wanted to come here for Masters in Engineering Mgmt in Fall 2011 but embassy rejected her visa in July saying that she already has Masters and they don't see any need for another masters. They also said that the university she was going to, is not a very good university. To summarize, she didn't appear to be a sincere student to the official.

We have already cancelled her admission at the university and now we just want her to come and visit the family here. I am her real brother setelled in US and due to my commitments here, it is not possible for me to visit India. We havn't met for almost 2 years and therefore, planned to have her and my mother come here, visit us and travel a bit of US.This is sole purpose of her visit. I am not sure if these reasons would be good enough to convince the officer. I mean this is the reality, not sure if we need to say something else to officer. Please advise if it is safe to come on B1/B2 visa or there are chances of deportation.

Also, we were planning to visit Disney Land in Orlando. Do you think it will be preferable to have my family (mother and sister) come to Orlando first which is a famous tourist spot and then to my home in Wisconsin. Any guidance and suggestions will be much appericiated. Thanks again for all of your time!!!

Yes, it is certainly possible, because the CBP folks (border inspectors at the airport and land borders) have access to the same data bases as our embassies...and they can look up a refusal and see the notes entered by the consular official...and those notes may form the foundation for further questioning when she arrives in the US.

She could very well be refused, she need to have strong ties showing she has no intentions of studying in US and this is just a visit and she would return back after the visit.

Also don’t attempt to enter on B1/2 and then later transfer to F1, would not work in her case as they already have it on record she was refused F1 earlier at embassy.

It's possible, but not very likely.

Nothing is unimpossible.

Edited by b1b2help

Timeline

Was the University in Wisconsin?

There is never any guarantee of entry, she should bring evidence of the Masters course she is taking and any other requirements to return.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Was the University in Wisconsin?

There is never any guarantee of entry, she should bring evidence of the Masters course she is taking and any other requirements to return.

She had completed her MBA from India and was admitted in a Master's program in US for which her Visa was denied. She still holds her B1/B2 visa. We have cancelled her admission for the next semester. Yes the university where she got the admit is in Wisconsin.

Thanks again for the quick response.

She had completed her MBA from India and was admitted in a Master's program in US for which her Visa was denied. She still holds her B1/B2 visa. We have cancelled her admission for the next semester. Yes the university where she got the admit is in Wisconsin.

Thanks again for the quick response.

What other requirements she can bring?

Timeline

I assumed she was doing the course in India, what does she do.

Timeline

I assumed she was doing the course in India, what does she do.

Yes, she was doing her course in India which she completed in 2009. She now looks after all the finances in my uncle's business. My uncle owns a school and also sells heavy electrical equipment mainly used in sugar mills. She has also worked in Bank of America corporation, India for a year and then joined my uncle's business later.

Again thanks for all your responses. Much appreciated!!

Filed: Timeline

As I said, the CBP officer can see her recent denial, and may indeed wonder about her true intentions, no matter what you write in any sort of invitation letter. So yes, there is always the possibility she could be denied admission...and no, any creative story about Disneyland is meaningless...CBP doesn't really care WHY one is coming to the US on a tourist visa, but instead WHY is that person going to leave the US.

Timeline

As I said, the CBP officer can see her recent denial, and may indeed wonder about her true intentions, no matter what you write in any sort of invitation letter. So yes, there is always the possibility she could be denied admission...and no, any creative story about Disneyland is meaningless...CBP doesn't really care WHY one is coming to the US on a tourist visa, but instead WHY is that person going to leave the US.

So what do you suggest we can say about why she would be leaving US?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

She can have hard time entering US, being single, completed her education and marriageable age with F1 rejection , no other major ties back home.

All these can lead to hard time at POE. You never know until you try, entering via Orlando does not change anything.

Timeline

She can have hard time entering US, being single, completed her education and marriageable age with F1 rejection , no other major ties back home.

All these can lead to hard time at POE. You never know until you try, entering via Orlando does not change anything.

Thanks for the response. One more question, will her time of arrival make any difference? Coming in Nov will make her entry worse because she is coming before the start of Spring semester and may start studying vs if she comes in January when semester is already started and she has no chance of joining classes.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Op, the CBP is not interested in why a B1/B2 holder wants to enter the USA, they are looking for ties as to why the B1/B2 wants to return home and not overstay or AOS. As the others have said, a denied F1, single female, young with family ties in the USA...doesn't look good. How long ago was the denial of the F1? A recent denial of the F1 followed closely by an attempt to enter with a B1/B2, there will be scrunity. Good luck to your sister.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.