MrMrsKnight

Question about the new law

53 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey guys.... when is that new law (the one that will ensure that the foreign fiance knows about UCS's past)

going to take effect? I know it's supposed to be in March but I'm not sure....

We're almost ready to send in our I129-f and I was curious about this...... I mean we'll send our petition to Nebraska sometime next week so I was really hoping this new law wouldn't hurt our timeline so much.

I'll just keep hoping! :yes::star:

Oh and Good Luck to everyone!! :thumbs:

OUR COMPLETE TIMELINE

Latest steps:

10/26/2006- Consulate receives case (seriously, one month to receive the case?? BS!), and packet 3 that I sent even before they had received the case.

01/02/2007- Interview!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a 221(g)

01/23/2007- Second Interview. VISA granted!!!

01/29/2007- VISA arrived.... no envelope though. I'm gonna contact them and see what happened this time!

01/31/2007- I'll have to send them one last financial support evidence.

02/01/2007- Evidence sent

02/02/2007- Evidence received by Consulate

02/06/2007- Consulate sends envelope!

02/07/2007- Envelope received!!!

02/10/2007- Flew to the USA!!!!!!

04/17/2007- Wedding day!!!

--- Wish us luck!!! ---

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will take effect early March 2006. So, finalize your engagement and file your visa petition as soon as possible.

:) JR

N-400

June 08, 2009 - Mailed packet to TX lockbox

June 12, 2009 - USCIS TX received Packet

June 15, 2009 - Notice Date

June 19, 2009 - Recieved NOA

July 15, 2009 - Scheduled for biometrics

Sept 21, 2009 - Scheduled for Interview ....Passed the interview test

Oct. 16, 2009 - Oath taking

----------------------------------------------------------------

Never let a day go by without a dream.

Dream and dedication are a powerful combination.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Im curious about this too, my interview will be on March 9th, so the new law would affect me, i want to be prepared about that, maybe that could change the questions they commonly ask during the interview :wacko: Please if anybody else knows more about that law, please post some information, thanks in advanced :)

OLY AND DIDIER

AOS PROCESS

Finally we sent our AOS and EAD paperwork.

09-13-2006 AOS/EAD package sent via FedEX to USCIS in Chicago.

09-22-2006 Received NOA by Mail for AOS and EAD

09-29-2006 Received Appointment Notice for Biometrics

10-04-2006 Biometrics done for AOS and EAD

10-10-2006 NOA by Mail Regarding Transfer to CSC

11-21-2006 AOS touched

12-06-2006 AOS approved (online status)

12-11-2006 Green Card Arrived - Woo Whoo

12-12-2006 Welcome Letter by mail

Removing Conditions I-751

09-09-2008 Sent Package

09-15-2008 Received I-751 NOA1 (Notice date: 09-10-2008)

10-01-2008 Received Biometrics Appointment (Notice date: 09-26-2008)

10-15-2008 Biometrics date: 09-30-2008

12-12-2008 Card production Ordered

Citizenship Process

10-26-2009 Sent N400 - Citizenship Application

10-30-2009 NOA notice date

11-02-2009 Received NOA in mailbox

11-19-2009 Received Fingerprint Notification notice

11-20-2009 Fingerprint taken

01-29-2010 Passed Interview

02-19-2010 Oath Ceremony

02-23-2010 Ordered passport book and card :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

no the new law doesn't affect anyone who files their petitiion before march 5th i believe ( because the law goes into effect 60 days after it was signed on jan 5th)

interviews being conducted at embassies right no will not be afects

Service Center : Nebraska Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

I-129F Sent : 2005-11-30

I-129F NOA1 : 2005-12-02

I-129F NOA2 : 2005-12-16

Left NVC : 2006-1-5

Manila recieved: 2006-1-11

Interview Date : 2006-5-16 - APPROVED

Enter USA : 2006-5-31

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

What is this new law? Can someone explain what it is exactly and who it affects? I haven't heard anything about this until right now. Thanks.

Filed: Timeline
Hey guys.... when is that new law (the one that will ensure that the foreign fiance knows about UCS's past) going to take effect? I know it's supposed to be in March but I'm not sure....

Better be honest and tell the fiance the truth before she eventually finds out either through the abuot to be passed law or after marriage, which could make things worse by hiding stuff from her!

Edited by dmartmar

Timeline
Better be honest and tell the fiance the truth before she eventually finds out either through the abuot to be passed law or after marriage, which could make things worse by hiding stuff from her!

I'd say the same thing if that was the case :yes:

I'm not worried about that....... just about how much longer it'll take since It's probably gonna slow things down. But thanks for the advice anyway..... lol..... I'm actually the foreign fiance so no crazy hidden secrets here! :no:

Thanks for all the other posts too!!!!

Edited by MrMrsKnight

OUR COMPLETE TIMELINE

Latest steps:

10/26/2006- Consulate receives case (seriously, one month to receive the case?? BS!), and packet 3 that I sent even before they had received the case.

01/29/2007- VISA arrived.... no envelope though. I'm gonna contact them and see what happened this time!

--- Wish us luck!!! ---

I'm not worried about that....... just about how much longer it'll take since It's probably gonna slow things down. But thanks for the advice anyway..... lol..... I'm actually the foreign fiance so no crazy hidden secrets here!

So in other words, you're basically more worried about how much longer it might take you to get here, than actually knowing about your fiance's past. How long have you known each other and dated for? Did you meet online? Tell me all about it! I love to read stories like yours.

But I understand now!

By the way; where abouts in Brazil are you from?

Edited by dmartmar

Timeline
So in other words, you're basically more worried about how much longer it might take you to get here, than actually knowing about your fiance's past. How long have you known each other and dated for? Did you meet online? Tell me all about it! I love to read stories like yours.

But I understand now!

By the way; where abouts in Brazil are you from?

Yes, I'm more worried about how much longer it's going to take than knowing (one more time) about my fiance's past. First of all I miss him like crazy. :crying: And second, his mom is going through a rough time (medical reasons) and everyone wants me there as soon as possible(what can I do? Mom Sandy loves me :star: ) I want to be there for my fiance in case something happens to his mom.

We've already lived together for 2 years, went through hell(and heaven of course (L) ) together and we've had every chance in the world to know everything about each other. Including family, friends, medical record, police record, school record, sex history.....

Well I could be wrong but it sounded like you were trying to say I'm reckless or irresponsible or something like that. And of all the relationships you'll find here on VJ, mine is one of the ones you sure can't come down on... so if you like to hear stories about people that don't know each other very well and decide to get married, so that you can criticize them, I'm not what you're looking for.

I'm in Espirito Santo, close to Rio by the way.

You take care...

OUR COMPLETE TIMELINE

Latest steps:

--- Wish us luck!!! ---

Well I could be wrong but it sounded like you were trying to say I'm reckless or irresponsible or something like that. And of all the relationships you'll find here on VJ, mine is one of the ones you sure can't come down on... so if you like to hear stories about people that don't know each other very well and decide to get married, so that you can criticize them, I'm not what you're looking for.

Not what I meant, nor tried to imply.

The new law as it stands only affects meeting through Marriage Brokers....hence the title 'International Marriage Broker Regulation Act'

Below is a link re the new law.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1155

*cough*

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline
The new law as it stands only affects meeting through Marriage Brokers....hence the title 'International Marriage Broker Regulation Act'

Below is a link re the new law.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1155

*cough*

Thanks for this link Aussie ;)

Ni neart go cur le cheile

"Togetherness is Strength"

Timeline

Oh I get it...... nothing to worry about then! Thanks a lot Aussie!! I knew you'd end up posting something really good here.... :yes:

Edited by MrMrsKnight

OUR COMPLETE TIMELINE

Latest steps:

--- Wish us luck!!! ---

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This bill was sponsored by my congressman, Rick Larson, and it is his office that is helping me with the whole process. I got this directly from his office. I have also emailed them to find out whether this is only for men going through marraige brokers and also to find out when it starts. I will update you all when I hear.

"Washington, D.C. - Today U.S. Rep. Rick Larsen (D-WA) stood in the Oval Office as President Bush signed into law legislation containing provisions Larsen ushered through Congress to protect mail-order brides by safeguarding the International Marriage Broker industry. Provisions of Larsen's bill were included in the Violence Against Women Act as part of the Department of Justice Appropriations Authorization Act for Fiscal Years 2006 through 2009 that passed the House and Senate in December.

"Since coming to Congress, I have worked to protect women by safeguarding the mail-order bride industry," Larsen said.

"This legislation is really a testament and memorial to Anastasia King and Susanna Blackwell and all the women like them whose lives could have been saved if these protections had been in place when they needed them," Larsen commented.

Larsen first introduced the bill during the 108th Congress and built up bipartisan support for the measure. In September 2005, he joined with Rep. Frank Wolf (R-VA) to reintroduce the bill in the House. U.S. Senators Maria Cantwell and Sam Brownback (R-KS) led the fight in the Senate. Larsen and Cantwell became aware of the issue after Anastasia King and Susanna Blackwell, Washington state mail-order brides, were murdered by their husbands. The murders highlighted a growing nationwide trend of abuse.

Each year 8,000 to 12,000 U.S. men find foreign wives through for-profit international marriage brokers (IMBs). A 2003 study found that over 50 percent of legal assistance providers serving battered immigrant women had helped women who met their abusers through IMBs. Often these foreign fiancées cannot access credible information about their prospective spouses' criminal and marital histories and do not know the legal rights and resources available to U.S. victims of domestic violence.

He continued, "This bill ends what I call the wife lottery that allowed men to apply for multiple foreign fiancée visas at a time and then marry whichever woman's visa was approved first."

Highlights affecting IMBs included in the Department of Justice bill:

· Prevents men from becoming serial petitioners for foreign fiancées (i.e. a U.S. client can only apply for one foreign fiancée visa (K visa) at a time; Limits the U.S. client to a total of three fiancée visas. Upon application for a fourth fiancée visa, the Department of Homeland Security must take a closer look at the U.S. applicant);

· Creates an informational brochure for U.S. consulates to provide to women that explains the legal rights and resources available to immigrant victims of domestic abuse and other crimes and explains the illegality of marriage fraud (i.e. knowingly entering a marriage solely to obtain an immigration benefit, and U.S. legal obligations regarding child support);

· Requires K visa petitioners to answer a question about certain criminal convictions on the K application form, which would then be shared with the foreign fiancée;

· Authorizes U.S. consulates to share with foreign fiancées any criminal background information obtained by the federal government through checks it already runs on K visa petitioners.

Sent 129F to Nebraska on Feb. 1

Received Feb. 4

NOA1 received Feb. 11

NOA2 online April 19th. (Day 74)

NOA2 received snail mail April 25th. (Day 80)

Letter from <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->NVC<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02--> arrived on May 9th.

Packet 3 sent in July 22nd.

Packet 4 received July 29th.

Interview scheduled for Sept. 14th.

VISA approved Sept. 14th!!

Belinda enters the U.S. on Oct. 16th, with me, in Blaine, WA

Marraige on November 18

AOS, <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->EAD<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02-->, and AP sent November 18

NOA1 for AOS, AP, but <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->EAD<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02--> returned, we forgot line 16 (December 2)

<!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->EAD<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02--> re-sent December 5th.

I-751 sent to Nebraska, March 25, 2008

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.