frostiana

After interview can you Travel to U.S. without passport

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I apologize if this has been asked many times, but would I still be able to go for a visit before obtaining the passport by bringing my papers and a copy of my passport?

No you can't travel into the US without a passport.

Not true - you can enter with just a US greencard and US drivers license. (valid of course)

However, some countries won't let you leave without a passport (US or other) - but that's a different thing.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Not true - you can enter with just a US greencard and US drivers license. (valid of course)

However, some countries won't let you leave without a passport (US or other) - but that's a different thing.

i was getting a stamp for my girlfriend, from mexico, so she could go past 30 mile check point..

we did not leave us soil.. BUT i did have to get in line where border patrol was checking papers.. he asked for my PASSPORT and told me i needed PASSPORT to enter USA>. i did have driver license..

he called another person over.. and after explaining i just walked past this guard 20 yards.. but never left USA>. they let me pass FINALLY!.. i thought i would be locked out of my own country :(

so i would becareful about saying this... there is still chance that the guard would ask for more.. so its better to have it on you.. safe then sorry..

ps.. they do make a PASSPORT ID CARD.. that works if you cross into mexico/usa/canada/us territories by land or sea, it looks like Driver Lic. but it is passport card..

when i got my new passport book.. for an additional charge, i got the CARD also

however IF YOU FLY to any of those locations.. it would not be valid and would need passport book..

K101/17/2012.....I-129F ..... sent to Dallas, Texas

01/25/2012.....NOA1 (text & email) ..... sent to Vermont Service Center

01/28/2012.....NOA1 Hard Copy in Mail

07/31/2012.....NOA2.. 188 days update@USCIS

08/03/2012.....NOA2.. Hard Copy

09/04/2012.....Sent Email to Caracas Embassy for Interview date.. they had not contacted her

09/05/2012.....Embassy response.. with interview date!!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy!

10/17/2012.....INTERVIEW @Caracas Embassy... APPROVED!!

12/31/2012.....POE.. Miami, arrived to AUSTIN next day smile.png

02/16/2013.....Married!!

AOS - K1

05/06/2013.....I-465 & I-765 sent USPS priority mail

05/14/2013......Email, Text of Receiving package on 5/11

05/16/2013......Hard Copy of NOA1 received: I-465 and _I-765 Application for employment

05/20/2013...... Bio-metric hard-copy.
05/29/2013...... Biometric scheduled. . Austin office

07/15/2013...... EAD card arrived in mail today smile.png

10/20/2013...... Green Card approved! NOA hardcopy received!

10/31/2013...... Green Card Delivered!!

ROC-I-751
07/21/15 90 day Window Opens

07/24/15 I-751 Mailed to Cali. Service Center
09/03/15 Biometeric scheduled and completed

01/26/16 ROC Letter arrived
01/30/16 10 yr Green Card arrived

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It's probably safe to say if the OP is just finishing the interview stage of a K-1 visa they don't have a green card or US license yet.

Timeline

It's probably safe to say if the OP is just finishing the interview stage of a K-1 visa they don't have a green card or US license yet.

Exactly. If you read the original post, she's waiting for her passport that will contain her K-1 visa, so it's safe to say she does not have a greencard.

Even still, you cannot FLY without a passport for sure. So, if for any reason you had to fly home in an emergency, you wouldn't be allowed so I'd say it's not smart to travel to another country without a passport.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Even still, you cannot FLY without a passport for sure. So, if for any reason you had to fly home in an emergency, you wouldn't be allowed so I'd say it's not smart to travel to another country without a passport.

You can fly in Canada (eg: Montreal to Nova Scotia ) without a passport. You cant fly from Canada to the USA without one.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

You can fly in Canada (eg: Montreal to Nova Scotia ) without a passport. You cant fly from Canada to the USA without one.

Obviously. The topic is about travel to the US, not domestic travel.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

when you are waiting for your K-1 visa you cannot enter into US by any ways.

this is NOT true.

there are many who would say that travel for a VISIT to the USA while you are waiting for your K-1 to be approved is maybe ill- advised...There are no directives saying you cannot do it...AS LONG AS IT'S A VISIT and you can prove ties to your home land and prove you are not immigrating on a visitor's visa- many have visited whilst waiting for a K-1.

What is not allowed is using a visitor's visa to immigrate.

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Timeline

this is NOT true.

there are many who would say that travel for a VISIT to the USA while you are waiting for your K-1 to be approved is maybe ill- advised...There are no directives saying you cannot do it...AS LONG AS IT'S A VISIT and you can prove ties to your home land and prove you are not immigrating on a visitor's visa- many have visited whilst waiting for a K-1.

re--the OP.....Just want to add that if the OP is waiting for passport back from embassy then IMO it's best to wait for it- then travel

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

this is NOT true.

Not without your passport or a nexus card. You cannot go to the USA. The OP does not have the passport and has not said if they have a nexus card.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Not without your passport or a nexus card. You cannot go to the USA. The OP does not have the passport and has not said if they have a nexus card.

You are right. i took tracey&david as saying that travel whilst waiting for approval ( before interview) is not allowed , which it is. But in the Op's ( after interview) case as they do not have their passport...she cannot travel to the USA.

Edited by tmma

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

---

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.