Ashley and Tom

Changing Jobs during Visa process

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello Everyone!

We are new to the forums and have a question that hopefully ya'll can help us with. My fiance and I have just started the k-1 visa process. I am sending off the I-129 petition tomorrow. My fiance, Tom, has received a job offer with a considerable salary bump and he really wants to take it. The issue is that it is a temp job that will last approximately 6 months. I am concerned that switching jobs and the possibility of temporary unemployment will look bad on the visa. He really wants to switch jobs and is unhappy at his current workplace. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ashley

So is Tom the USC and you the UKC?

The main problem would be if he was unemployed at the time of the interview. The other aspects of this aren't really an issue, but this would be a huge problem, unless you have someone willing to be a co-sponsor (or a huge amount of savings). If one of Tom's family members or friends is willing to be a co-sponsor if necessary then this isn't an issue at all. But if not then it will be. In that case he should probably avoid taking this job opportunity; unless his salary is substantially above the requirements and he is very confident of find employment immediately after the 6 month contract ends. In this job market this does not apply to many people, but it may do to him.

Timeline

So is Tom the USC and you the UKC?

The main problem would be if he was unemployed at the time of the interview. The other aspects of this aren't really an issue, but this would be a huge problem, unless you have someone willing to be a co-sponsor (or a huge amount of savings). If one of Tom's family members or friends is willing to be a co-sponsor if necessary then this isn't an issue at all. But if not then it will be. In that case he should probably avoid taking this job opportunity; unless his salary is substantially above the requirements and he is very confident of find employment immediately after the 6 month contract ends. In this job market this does not apply to many people, but it may do to him.

Thank you for your reply, Joanna. Sorry I was not very clear. I am the USC and Tom is the UKC. We will be having a co-sponsor because I am in graduate school and am not working full-time. We are good friends with a couple who was successfully granted the K-1 and are now married. They advised us against Tom changing jobs. Do you think it will have any effect on our chances of the visa being granted?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Thank you for your reply, Joanna. Sorry I was not very clear. I am the USC and Tom is the UKC. We will be having a co-sponsor because I am in graduate school and am not working full-time. We are good friends with a couple who was successfully granted the K-1 and are now married. They advised us against Tom changing jobs. Do you think it will have any effect on our chances of the visa being granted?

Changing jobs won't hurt your case unless your fiance decides to take a pay cut which would not look good. The real important part of the job / salary come into play when you are approved for the k1 and the petitioner has to provide financial support documentation i.e. i-134 before your interview. Getting to this stage will be months away. Also when your finance does switch jobs, it's very easy to call the USCIS number, speak to someone and ask them to update the file.

A job change can be included on that i-134 which shows salary history, along w/ the required paperwork. Shouldn't be a problem, in my opinion.

I-129F Sent : 2011-07-06

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-07-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-09-29

NOA2 Approved: 2011-10-01

NOA2 Paper Recv: 2011-10-03

NVC Recv: 2011-10-17

NVC to Embassy Sent: 2011-10-19

Embassy Recv Packet: 2011-10-21

Packet 3.5 Recv'ed: 2011-11-03

Packet 3.5 Sent: 2011-11-05

Interview Date: 2011-12-19

K1 Issued 2012-01-13

POE 2012 -03-14

Marriage 2012-03-19

SSN Received 2012-04-09

Filing AOS 2012-04-11

Biometrics Completed 2012-05-17

EAD Card Received 2012-07-02

Green Card Interview 2012-08-02

Card in Hand 2012-08-14

DONE WITH K1!!!!!!!!!

Timeline

Changing jobs won't hurt your case unless your fiance decides to take a pay cut which would not look good. The real important part of the job / salary come into play when you are approved for the k1 and the petitioner has to provide financial support documentation i.e. i-134 before your interview. Getting to this stage will be months away. Also when your finance does switch jobs, it's very easy to call the USCIS number, speak to someone and ask them to update the file.

A job change can be included on that i-134 which shows salary history, along w/ the required paperwork. Shouldn't be a problem, in my opinion.

We're glad to hear it shouldn't hurt our chances. He would actually increase his pay by nearly double. Thank you for your help!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The posts above are incorrect, you are the only one that matters as far as having a job or acquiring a sponsor as you are the USC, Tom on the other hand can sit on his #### all day playing X box until his interview and it would have no effect on your petition.

THE U.S DOES NOT CARE IF HE WORKS OR NOT!!!

Edited by mike42979

My Proposal to kristine!!! :)

I-129F Sent : 2011-01-20

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-01-25

I-129F RFE(s): NONE!!!

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-06-02

Interview Date : 2011-09-01

Interview Result : Approved

Tom being the foreign citizen, it does not matter at all. His financial situation is irrelevant.

Me three. Tom can do anything he wants about jobs.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.