qwerty1974

marriage certificate applications once arrived

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Would love some advice on timings . The wedding date is for 3rd March and we're June filers. This makes things quite tightly organised but I hadn't factored in applying for a marriage certificate (which evidently we need to both do in person and with at least a months notice!). Does the K1 visa in anyway class As the marriage certificate, I know likely not but it'd be really helpful if it did, then the likelihood of having to shift the wedding date decreases!! Does anyone know any ways to exediate such applications?? Thanks.

Does your county clerk state that you both have to be there in person to apply for the marriage license?

In our county (West MI) only one person need apply in person, as long as you have some photo ID from your intending spouse. We were told we would need to apply at least 2 weeks before our wedding date, and did so, but in the end it was ready in only 3 days.

I know that is does vary though from county to county, never mind what state you're in. It feels a bit over-complicated sometimes..!

Unfortunately no, you're K1 visa will not count :blush:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Which state will you be applying for marriage license in? I'd look up the requirements for your specific state.

As an example, Indiana has no waiting time and marriage is supposed to take place within 30 days. The county clerk wanted to see photo-ID with my US adress on so I had to get state-ID(and SSN) before we went for the marriage license(I'm the socalled alien). Those things took about 5 weeks. I'm not trying to scare you; just a reminder that if you're planning a specific wedding day far in advance with the K1 and have little time for paperwork make sure you know the procedure in your state and county after POE. Otherwise push forward the date of the wedding. The K1 is flexible AFTER it's approved and issued, with a validity up to 6 months before entering the US.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

It shouldn't take a month to receive your marriage license OR certificate (after the wedding) but it varies by county and state.

TIMELINE

2 0 1 1

3rd Feb - 129f Sent

10th Feb - NOA1

16th May - NOA2

8th August - Interview in London. APPROVED!

29th August - POE at SFO

7th Oct - Married

10th Oct - AOS Filed

17th Oct - NOA Letter(s)

20th Oct - Biometrics Letter (for 14th Nov)

28th Oct - Biometrics (walk-in)

2 0 1 2

3 Jan - Service Request Put In

13 Jan - EAD Approved

17 Jan - Interview Notice Received

24 Jan - EAD in hand

16 Feb - Interview Date. APPROVED!

2 0 1 3 / 2 0 1 4

21 Nov - ROC Filed

2 Dec - NOA

6 Jan - Biometrics (walk-in)

15 May - Card Ordered / Approved

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just like what others said depends on what State. In Town Ramapo in NY marriage license is issued on the same day. Same thing with the Marriage Cert you can have it after the wedding. :thumbs:

K-1 Timeline

October 26, 2010 - I-129F sent to VSC

November 2, 2010 - NOA 1 hard copy (dated Oct. 29, 2010)

November 5, 2010 - Touched

April 15, 2011 - NOA 2

June 21-22, 2011 - Medical (passed! Thank you Lord)

July 19, 2011 - Interview (passed! Thank you Lord)

August 11, 2011 - POE (JFK)

AOS Timeline

Sept. 26, 2011 - I-485 & EAD sent to Chicago Lock box

Sept. 28, 2011 - Text/Email notificaion receipt

Oct. 4, 2011 - NOA 1 hard copy for I-485 & EAD (dated Sept. 30,2011)

October 11, 2011 - Biometrics Letter received (appointment date November 2, 2011)

October 24, 2011 - I-485 transferred to CSC

November 2, 2011 - Bioemtrics done

Dec. 1, 2011 - EAD card production

Dec. 9, 2011 - EAD card on hand

Feb. 10, 2012 - Green Card production

Feb. 16, 2012 - Green Card on hand

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

-Mother Teresa

My Page

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Would love some advice on timings . The wedding date is for 3rd March and we're June filers. This makes things quite tightly organised but I hadn't factored in applying for a marriage certificate (which evidently we need to both do in person and with at least a months notice!). Does the K1 visa in anyway class As the marriage certificate, I know likely not but it'd be really helpful if it did, then the likelihood of having to shift the wedding date decreases!! Does anyone know any ways to exediate such applications?? Thanks.

Nope. Never ever plan on anything until the visa is in your hand.

Repeat......Never ever plan on anything until the visa is in your hand.

You have to follow all the steps in the proper sequence. No the K-1 is not a marriage license (you get the certificate AFTER you are married, before you get a License).

Expediting is dependent on your local county clerk.....call them, they are nice people and will tell you what option you have.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The K1 is not a marriage ANYthing it is a document to enter the US and is CANCELLED immediately upon entry and replaced with the I-94

You APPLY for a marriage license. In some states there are no waiting periods in some it is three days. we received our marraige license 3 hours before our wedding

The marriage CERTIFICATE is requested AFTER you are married and is the official document registering your marriage. We got our marriage CERTIFICATE 3 days after being married. Some locations take up to 30 days. This, again is AFTER you marry

It is foolish to make ANY plans before the visa is IN YOUR HAND. Good luck.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

The K1 is not a marriage ANYthing it is a document to enter the US and is CANCELLED immediately upon entry and replaced with the I-94

You APPLY for a marriage license. In some states there are no waiting periods in some it is three days. we received our marraige license 3 hours before our wedding

The marriage CERTIFICATE is requested AFTER you are married and is the official document registering your marriage. We got our marriage CERTIFICATE 3 days after being married. Some locations take up to 30 days. This, again is AFTER you marry

It is foolish to make ANY plans before the visa is IN YOUR HAND. Good luck.

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE :) Our wedding venue already has agreed some flexibility on dates anyway, so it should be okay....hope hope hope ;) The state will be Tennessee and apparently both need to apply in person and give at least four weeks notice. Looks like we'll likely and sadly have to shift the date along...

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

During this process is is good to be flexible. don't make solid plans until you're visa is in hand.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Timeline

The noa2 lists as only valid until the 06th February so it would appear they expect to process us by then....things are looking very good for sticking with the date we'd picked...fingers crossed. When we planned it we factored in average procesing and adding extra etc so HOPEFULLY that need to be flexible will be superfluous. A couple of other forums have suggesting having some kind of set plan aides them in assessing when to schedule the interview and also acts as further proof of commitment to marriage. All in all I don't feel foolish we went ahead and planned something. It gave us something solid to aim for at the and of the raft of paperwork and bureaucratic deadlines.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.