Aloe

U.S. Citizen Visiting Canada

36 posts in this topic

I am planning on taking my family to Niagara Falls tomorrow and was so worried about making sure that the three of us Australians had everything we need I didn't even stop to think my U.S. Husband may have issues. I know they recently made it more difficult to cross even for American Citizens and was wondering what he would need. Without a Passport or Enhanced Drivers License the only things he really has are an Original Birth Certificate and a regular DL. Is this enough or should I not even bother trying?

Just in case anyone is wondering my family are traveling on the VWP and I was told they would be able to get in and out of Canada just fine as long as it is within their original 90 day visit to the U.S. and I will be traveling on my Green Card which has expired however, I do have my extension letter to show I am in the process of Removing Conditions.

TIA!

11/18/08 - Arrived in U.S. on B2 visa

02/05/09 - Extended return plane ticket to stay for an extra 3 months

04/23/09 - Decided we didn't want to be apart even though we extended the stay and got married!

04/30/09 - Sent I-130/I-485/I-765 from B2 (no I-693 as it is not yet complete.)

05/03/09 - Received email form USPS stating that package had arrived safely and was signed for!

05/11/09 - Received NOA1's for I-130/I-485/I-765

05/16/09 - Received Biometrics Appointment

05/30/09 - Received a CRAZY amount of RFE's that were dated 05/21/09

06/01/09 - Biometrics Appointment Scheduled. In and out in 10 minutes!! Sent off RFE information (Should arrive in MO on Wed.)

06/03/09 - USCIS received RFE response

07/23/09 - I called to have a service request put in

07/24/09 - I-765 Touched (FINALLY)

07/25/09 - I-765 CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!!!!!! (About time!)

08/03/09 - EAD card came in the mail WOOHOO!!!

08/07/09 - Interview letter arrived

09/02/09 - Interview Date

09/07/09 - I think this is the day I received my Green Card.. Can't quite remember anymore.

Removal Of Conditions

08/03/11 - WOW it's already been TWO years! Sent ROC package to VSC.

08/05/11 - NOA1 date which arrived 8/10/2011

09/02/11 - Bio Appointment the notice was dated 8/12/11

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am planning on taking my family to Niagara Falls tomorrow and was so worried about making sure that the three of us Australians had everything we need I didn't even stop to think my U.S. Husband may have issues. I know they recently made it more difficult to cross even for American Citizens and was wondering what he would need. Without a Passport or Enhanced Drivers License the only things he really has are an Original Birth Certificate and a regular DL. Is this enough or should I not even bother trying?

Just in case anyone is wondering my family are traveling on the VWP and I was told they would be able to get in and out of Canada just fine as long as it is within their original 90 day visit to the U.S. and I will be traveling on my Green Card which has expired however, I do have my extension letter to show I am in the process of Removing Conditions.

TIA!

I would suggest to read the official info from the US Department of State regarding travel to Canada:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html

Here is a summary:

Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card or NEXUS card (see below) satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens.

When returning to the United States from Canada, it is very important to note that all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport to enter or re-enter the United States via air. For entry into the United States via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens will need to present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Drivers License or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)-compliant document.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

pretty sure he needs a passport now

Adjustment of status after K1 visa ClockWatch2.gif

2013-08-12 (Day 1 ) - Sent my Aos package for work permit and green Card

2013-08-20 (DAY 8) Noa1 received via Text around 11pm, next day was email. Received my case numbers

2013-08-23 (Day 11)- received hard copy in mail for Noa1 gc , Work permit

2013-08-30 (Day 18) Received Biometrics appointment letter in the mail.

2013-09-17 (Day 25) biometrics appointment day @2pm Detriot

2013-09-25 (Day 33) received text and email , I485 changed to testing and interview

2013-10-02 (Day 40) received text message and email @7am about my interview date

2013-10-04 (Day 42) Received hard copy interview letter in the mail

2013-10-10 (Day 48) Work permit Card in production

2013-10-16 (Day 54) 2nd Text and email @830am Work permit in Production

2013-10-21 (Day 59) text/email notice 10am . Work Permit sent

2013-10-21(Day 59)Text/ email @9pm received text with tracking number -2 day delievery

2013-10-24(Day 62) received my work permit in the mail.

2013-10-25 Filled for my Social Security number today

2013-11-05 (Day 74) Interview November 5th (1.40pm)...... APPROVED!! kicking.gif

2013-11-05(Day 74) Text and Email - Green card in Production @2.30pm

2013-11-05 (Day 74) Text and email @8.15pm Mailed notice that i am a registered permanent resident

2013-11-07 (Day 76) 2nd Text and email @11.30am - green card in production

2013-11-09 (Day 78) Welcome letter received - WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

2013-11-12 (Day 81) - Received text and email - Green card sent @1.15pm

2013-11-12 (Day 81) @9pm received text and email - with UPS tracking number - For Green card

2013-11-15 (Day 84) Green card Received dancin5hr.gif

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

Looks like some of you will be able to go to the Canadian side - however it is nice looking at the Falls from the US side too... just a thought :whistle:

I-129F Sent : 10-04-2010

I-129F NOA1 : 10-12-2010

Touched: 10-21-2010

NOA2: 03-16-2011

Vermont Service Center

Interview: 05-18-2011

Fiance' Visa Approved: 12Jul2011

POE - Newark Airport November 20, 2011

Married: December 8, 2011

AOS package sent to Chicago Lockbox on Feb. 13, 2012

I-485 transfered to Laguna Niguel CA on March 17, 2012

EAD - received from Lee's Summit, MO on April 18, 2012

Filed: Timeline

TIA!

Your husband will have problems if he leaves the US and tries to re-enter with his birth certificate and a regular DL.

I live in San Diego and frequently visit Mexico. Since March 2010, I have to show my US passport to re-enter the US. The DL is not sufficient.

Your husband should not leave the US.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I`m from Canada and i know if your under 16 (so 15 and under) you only need birth certificate to cross into the US and back into Canada (for US/CDN citizens), but now you need your passport to visit, or enhanced DL, Nexus card if 16+

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Kind of a shock to many of us with open borders to Canada for over two hundred years, in the automotive industry, have many divisions up there. And was free passage between Buffalo and Canada for many years. An executive order by Bush that was never reversed by Obama, he won't, because if just one terrorist passes, would be the end of this career.

Can't count the number of times I flew into Toronto, just needed an airline ticket. But this last time was crazy, easy going into Canada, custom was overwhelming nice and quick. But pure hell coming back into my own country, full inspections and over a four hour wait, damn near missed my flight. Got me to wondering why in the hell I am still living here.

But yes, you also now need a passport book, card, or a state endorsed drivers' license when going to Canada, even by walking or driving, Not so much when entering, but leaving the good old USA, and expect hell when coming back to your own country.

Maybe not bad to accept this if this is your first time, but when you could travel for years without all of this severe extra inconvenience, can really be quite annoying. Don't use logic, still over 3,500 miles of unprotected border. Guess our brilliant leaders figure those nasty guys will only try to enter via the airlines, the worse, or try to drive in.

But those 3,500 miles is only a fraction of our borders when you consider our coast lines and southern border. If our leaders were as nice as the rest of us hard working Americans, they wouldn't need that protection. Even if they were trained by our own military would have some common sense. But just Harvard guys accustomed to wild parties, skull clubs, and the like. But yet Americans are dumb enough to elect these idiots and liars. Yes, I hope they are reading this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Passport or Nexus card for the US citizen - just like Canadians are required to have a passport or Nexus card to enter the US

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Other Timeline

Yes,

he'll need a passport for international travel now (unless he has a NEXUS card or EDL). Since you can get one in about 3 hours (I got my passport in 170 minutes) from the passport agency in Buffalo, right around the corner from where you live, is it really worth going gagga over this?

http://travel.state.gov/passport/npic/agencies/agencies_913.html

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That is useful information that he is able to get an expedited passport at the Buffalo Passport Agency because he will need a US passport - not so much to enter Canada as what he has is fine to enter Canada - but to return to the US. The US Government requires US citizens who are returning to the US to present a passport, a passport card or one of the other recognized documents under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

You will be fine with your green card and extension letter and your relatives will be fine with their Australian passports and their I-94s.

Good luck getting the passport and enjoy your visit to Canada :-).

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Yes,

he'll need a passport for international travel now (unless he has a NEXUS card or EDL). Since you can get one in about 3 hours (I got my passport in 170 minutes) from the passport agency in Buffalo, right around the corner from where you live, is it really worth going gagga over this?

http://travel.state....encies_913.html

When I first moved out into the sticks in Northern Wisconsin, met guys in their 90's that never left the township let alone the county. Not good for asking directions. Original poster is asking about her US citizen husband. Bet if you took a poll, average born in America citizen never even heard of a passport. Can say the same thing about many people I met in Chicago or Milwaukee, were born there and never left their city. Believe they were afraid to cross the city limit sign because lions and tigers are there to eat them up.

History channel had an interesting program on counterfeiting. Admitted individuals would have a lot of problems forging the US buck or passports, but easy for nations to do this. First the

Germans, than the Soviets, and now the Chinese are very good at doing this for sending bad guys into this country. Too bad Bush didn't watch this program, by forcing every American to have a passport to cross on the bridge over the Niagara Falls is not doing a damn thing to keep out the bad guys. But sure great for the DOS to clean up on fees. If you are super rich, can get any passport you so desire, but sure places a burden on the average American just to make an occasional trip. Another reason the super rich are super rich and the average American is super poor.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

My husband thinks it's funny that he needs his passport to re-enter the US and I only need my GC.

OUR JOURNEY SO FAR: (dd/mm/yyyy)

18/09/09 - CR1 NOA1

16/07/10 - POE LAX (256 days NOA1 to interview)

27/09/10 - Aussie/American bun in the oven due May 10, 2011

06/01/11 - Submitted change of address online to USCIS. Mailed I-865 for sponsor. Neverending!

05/05/11 - Bouncing baby boy arrives

10/07/12 - Sent I-751

13/07/12 - I-751 NOA1

Timeline

My husband thinks it's funny that he needs his passport to re-enter the US and I only need my GC.

Correct me if I am wrong, but believe you also need your current valid foreign passport, wife needed that as well to reenter the USA. And that was at the Toronto Airport in Canada. Also with some foreign passports, may also require a visa to enter Canada.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.