elya

DS-157 - required in Moscow?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi all,

Is the DS-157 ever required/asked for at the Moscow embassy? It's not on the list but our attorney included it in the packet of docs they sent us (which were, as usual, full of errors).

We are using the forms we filled out ourselves, naturally, but were surprised by the DS-157. My instict is it can't hurt to have it but there are some questions that are really hard to answer like the phone number of supervisors from previous two jobs.

Our interview is Tuesday morning.

Thanks

2009/06/19 - 1st NOA 1 (I-129F)

2009/10/07 - NOA 2

2010/01/11 - interview; result - approved

2010/01/18 - received passport with visa in the mail

2010/02/05 - embassy calls and asked to return visa for a "correction"

2010/02/09 - fiance returns passport with visa to embassy

2010/03/09 - embassy tells us we are in "administrative review"

2010/09/07 - fiance receives passport back with canceled visa and letter; our petition has been returned to USCIS

2010/11/08 - 2nd NOA 1 (I-129F ROUND 2)

2011/04/19 - service request response - 6 months additional extensive background checks

2011/08/22 - 2nd NOA 2

2011/10/04 - interview

2011/10/20 - visa received

2011/11/04 - POE

2011/11/25 - legal marriage

2012/07/21 - wedding with family and friends!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hi all,

Is the DS-157 ever required/asked for at the Moscow embassy? It's not on the list but our attorney included it in the packet of docs they sent us (which were, as usual, full of errors).

We are using the forms we filled out ourselves, naturally, but were surprised by the DS-157. My instict is it can't hurt to have it but there are some questions that are really hard to answer like the phone number of supervisors from previous two jobs.

Our interview is Tuesday morning.

Thanks

You can read for yourself on the Moscow Embassy website;;;;it's in both English and Russian.

Once you read what documents you need, you can get rid of the attorney or pretend that you are one yourself!

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

You can read for yourself on the Moscow Embassy website;;;;it's in both English and Russian.

Once you read what documents you need, you can get rid of the attorney or pretend that you are one yourself!

Here's the link Moscow Embassy - Forms for K-1

Now let's see if this attorney is worth anything:

Did they send to you the DS-156K form which is in Russian?

The only place one can download that form is from the Embassy website.

Timeline

We have been going by that list, hence the question. It does not list the DS-157. The embassy list also doesn't reference the military record which sometimes IS required from male interviewees. That's why I decided to check in with the experts on VJ.

Our attorney is useless as already discovered long before. I'm keeping them around just for back-up (since they are doing are refiling for free). They sent us the DS-156K in English only and they made numerous other mistakes in the forms. Fortunately we already had our forms ready to go. Except the DS-157. Never heard it mentioned on the embassy site or in the RUB form before so I'm hoping we're ok without it.

10 hours to go...

Edited by elya

2009/10/07 - NOA 2

2010/09/07 - fiance receives passport back with canceled visa and letter; our petition has been returned to USCIS

2011/04/19 - service request response - 6 months additional extensive background checks

2011/08/22 - 2nd NOA 2

2011/10/04 - interview

2011/11/04 - POE

I don't see anything about a DS-157 on the Russian documents website. Looks like you're clear. :)

Best of luck on your interview!!

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

Timeline

I don't see anything about a DS-157 on the Russian documents website. Looks like you're clear. :)

Best of luck on your interview!!

Yep, your good to do and all will be fine. We didn't do a 157 form either. It's not required Moscow and you can see that you can do this process all by yourself.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Yep, your good to do and all will be fine. We didn't do a 157 form either. It's not required Moscow and you can see that you can do this process all by yourself.

DS-157 was a supplement form for a non-immigrant visa for men aged 16-45. Now they have all those questions in DS-160, it was a nightmare to fill out my dad's application for his visitor visa (my parents don't speak English, so I was the one doing it). So there is pretty much no way your wife would need this form, even if she was applying for a tourist visa.

Although, you're right, it's not listed on the Embassy website, so I wouldn't bother filling it out.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Timeline

well, we got through it, without DS-157. such a large percentage of Moscow K-1s are women that the male-specific information tends to get lost, but I'm glad this wasn't one of those cases.

Thanks to everyone who wished us luck. it was brutal - they kept him there for EIGHT hours. but finally they said he would get his visa in 4-5 days. I am not relaxing until he clears POE. I will post details of the interview once he's here.

2009/10/07 - NOA 2

2011/08/22 - 2nd NOA 2

2011/10/04 - interview

2011/11/04 - POE

Congratulations Elya!!!! Don't fret POE, the interview was a much bigger sticking point--if he made it through the interview, POE's a piece of cake. Just make sure he's got all his documents before he leaves and you'll be fine. And once he's here, the 8 hour wait and everything else will seem like a distant memory. Congrats again!!!!! :)

Edited by Captain Hammer

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

Timeline

well, we got through it, without DS-157. such a large percentage of Moscow K-1s are women that the male-specific information tends to get lost, but I'm glad this wasn't one of those cases.

Thanks to everyone who wished us luck. it was brutal - they kept him there for EIGHT hours. but finally they said he would get his visa in 4-5 days. I am not relaxing until he clears POE. I will post details of the interview once he's here.

Super news. You are good to go and POE is a piece of cake. Where will his POE be at?

Timeline

two steps to go :-) actually getting his visa and not having them take it back again before POE! So far it looks like Seattle will be POE. We're buying tickets tonight.

2009/10/07 - NOA 2

2011/08/22 - 2nd NOA 2

2011/10/04 - interview

2011/11/04 - POE

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

It's not on the list but our attorney included it in the packet of docs they sent us (which were, as usual, full of errors).

Why is it that immigration lawyers can't get this immigration stuff correct? I had the same error-ridden documents from my immigration lawyer when I did everything for my (now ex-) wife. I ended up doing all the documents all over again because of all the mistakes, as well as submitting extra documents that she had no idea were needed. :angry: The night before the interview, I found out that another document was needed. I ended up running back and forth (in the snow) between the apartment and Marriot hotel in Moscow to get the darn thing printed. It was late October and a bit cooler than the usual 80+degrees I was used to in Texas. :yes: Been divorced over 3 years now. Don't know if I would ever want to go through all that again. All I do know is that I would *never* hire a lawyer to do it.

2005-08-10: Met Natalia and fell in love. Too bad she didn't.

2006-01-13: Married. Biggest mistake of my life.

2006-03-07: Began the I-130/I-129F process.

2006-11-01: POE - JFK / Home in Austin!

2006-11-15: She hits me and continues pattern of abuse.

2006-11-16: I filed for divorce.

2006-11-17: Wife is served divorce papers; she and daughter return to Russia.

2007-12-08: She returns to Russia "for the holidays" (lied to lawyers and court).

[many more ups and downs during this time period - mostly downs]

2008-03-26: File for bankruptcy.

2008-07-30: Bankruptcy finalized.

2008-08-27: Divorce final. Started piecing my life back together.

(See my timeline for details.)

Disclaimer: I'm just a guy who married for love, but she didn't! All she wants is money and a green card.

Why is it that immigration lawyers can't get this immigration stuff correct? I had the same error-ridden documents from my immigration lawyer

Waste of money.

Seriously, this VJ stuff is pretty simple.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Waste of money.

Seriously, this VJ stuff is pretty simple.

I knew that then, and I still know that now. Lawyers: TOTAL waste of money. :yes: You're right. The visa stuff was very simple. All you need to be able to do is read, and follow instructions. Very simple.

The only reason I hired an attorney at the time was to help my (now ex-) wife feel better about the process. The lawyer had a representative in Russia that was a lot better than the lawyer herself! (At least I paid the lawyer by credit card which was discharged in my bankruptcy.)

2005-08-10: Met Natalia and fell in love. Too bad she didn't.

2006-01-13: Married. Biggest mistake of my life.

2006-03-07: Began the I-130/I-129F process.

2006-11-01: POE - JFK / Home in Austin!

2006-11-15: She hits me and continues pattern of abuse.

2006-11-16: I filed for divorce.

2006-11-17: Wife is served divorce papers; she and daughter return to Russia.

2007-12-08: She returns to Russia "for the holidays" (lied to lawyers and court).

[many more ups and downs during this time period - mostly downs]

2008-03-26: File for bankruptcy.

2008-07-30: Bankruptcy finalized.

2008-08-27: Divorce final. Started piecing my life back together.

(See my timeline for details.)

Disclaimer: I'm just a guy who married for love, but she didn't! All she wants is money and a green card.

I knew that then, and I still know that now. Lawyers: TOTAL waste of money. :yes: You're right. The visa stuff was very simple. All you need to be able to do is read, and follow instructions. Very simple.

The only reason I hired an attorney at the time was to help my (now ex-) wife feel better about the process. The lawyer had a representative in Russia that was a lot better than the lawyer herself! (At least I paid the lawyer by credit card which was discharged in my bankruptcy.)

I would've red flagged her needing an attorney on her end. She shouldn't need squat.

I hope she didn't need money from you too!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.