cmoore25

Moving before interview...

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

My fiance will be renting out his flat and moving in with his mom for the rest of the process. All of his mail will be forwarded to his mothers address. I know that changing the address can often mess up the process as they don't always get it right - and right now, we can get our interview date (packet 4) at anytime. My only concern is, when he goes to his interview, can he have his passport sent to a different address than the one that is listed in the paperwork? So, instead of putting the address of his flat, can he give his mother's address?

My fiance will be renting out his flat and moving in with his mom for the rest of the process. All of his mail will be forwarded to his mothers address. I know that changing the address can often mess up the process as they don't always get it right - and right now, we can get our interview date (packet 4) at anytime. My only concern is, when he goes to his interview, can he have his passport sent to a different address than the one that is listed in the paperwork? So, instead of putting the address of his flat, can he give his mother's address?

Yes, anywhere he will be to receive it whether mum's, work, or the local pub. It has nothing to do with the embassy. He makes those arrangements with the courier.

Edit: Potential problems. If he moves before the interview letter, there is a chance he won't get it. Often government mail is not forwarded. Or the mailman may just drop it in the letterbox of the old address.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Put up a MAILBOX OUT OF ORDER sign with a note to have a neighbor hold it possibly?

K-1 Journey

03-03-2011 - Mailed I-129F application.

03-06-2011 - Packet received in Texas.

03-23-2011 - NOA1 received in mail, dated 03-09-2011.

05-31-2011 - RFE requested. They want better passport pictures of me.

06-06-2011 - Additional passport pics sent.

06-08-2011 - Evidence received and acknowledged. Whew!

06-16-2011 - NOA2 received!

07-20-2011 - Packet 3 Received!

08-01-2011 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

08-22-2011 - Packet 4 Received!

09-19-2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

09-23-2011 - Visa in Hand

09-29-2011 - POE LAX

11-11-2011 - Wedding at 11:11pm GMT time.

AOS Journey

12-02-2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/AP paperwork.

12-05-2011 - Delivery confirmation per USPS.

12-27-2011 - (3) NOA I-797C received, dated 12-20-2011. Biometrics appt set.

01-10-2012 - Biometrics.

01-20-2012 - Notified of interview appointment for 2-21-2012.

01-31-2012 - EAD and AP approved.

02-08-2012 - EAD/AP card received.

02-21-2012 - AOS interview approved. EAD/AP card confiscated.

03-01-2012 - Green Card in hand!!!

364 days total time!

Timeline

Hmm...that might work, except his renter will need to have the mailbox be working - as they will be moving in asap...he was putting in a change of address today - ugh...of course this wasn't going to be easy!!!

Can we contact the embassy if he does not receive his letter? Will they resend it to a new address? Or can he enter w/out one?

I know you and you'll be calling DOS to find out when the interview is and will know before the letter. So even if he doesn't get the letter, they have a list at the front of the line of the appointments and will let him in. People have done this before.

Or others who knew their interview from DOS have called to ask for an email confirmation. That of course is the hassle and expense of calling, then waiting for a response.

I wouldn't even bother calling Monday because they may not get it fixed anyway. They told somebody recently it takes several weeks for a change of address to go through. But maybe if you called and got the email code and wrote about the change of address with a soon to be assigned interview, they would pull the file and assign one right then while they had it out. Give an email and ask if they could email an interview confirmation if they can't get the address changed in time.

Whatever you do, I promise he can get in with no letter.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Nich-Nick Thanks, knowing that we can get in without the letter is a big help! I thought that was the golden ticket - no entrance without it! I will let him know about calling the embassy and asking for the email code in order to get an email confirmation.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.