canada_socks

Canadian Thanksgiving

Canadian Thanksgiving  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving now that you live in the United States?

18 posts in this topic

I was just curious since it is coming up!

If you chose yes, what are your plans? An all out family gathering, or something simple?

I am just making dinner for me and my fiance. I am going to cook a turkey breast (since a whole turkey will be too big), and have all the other trimmings (stuffing, sweet potatoes, veggies, pumpkin pie etc!). It will be the first time I cooked turkey so hopefully it will work out! :)

Edited by sherrybaby

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

12-13-2013 * 90 day window to apply opens

02-24-2014 * ROC package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-25-2014 * ROC package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-26-2014 * NOA1 notice date

02-28-2014 * Cheque cashed

03-05-2014 * Biometrics notice date

03-28-2014 * Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore

I was just curious since it is coming up!

If you chose yes, what are your plans? An all out family gathering, or something simple?

I am just making dinner for me and my fiance. I am going to cook a turkey breast (since a whole turkey will be too big), and have all the other trimmings (stuffing, sweet potatoes, veggies, pumpkin pie etc!). It will be the first time I cooked turkey so hopefully it will work out! :)

My mother in law is determined to make me turkey for Canadian Thanksgiving. I'm a little wary because last *American* thanksgiving she basically inadvertently tried to kill me by putting almonds in almost every meal and not telling me (I'm allergic) so she wants to do this as an attempt to apologize for that debacle, LOL. Hopefully it goes well :)

K1:
10-27-10 : I129F Sent
11-03-10 : NOA1
04-06-11 : NOA2
06-20-11 : Medical (Toronto)
08-03-11 : Interview - APPROVED!
08-12-11 : Visa in Hand & POE
09-17-11 : Wedding <3

AOS:
11-02-11 : AOS Sent
12-05-11 : RFE
12-09-11 : Biometrics
01-11-12 : EAD/AP Card received
01-30-12 : AOS Interview
02-03-12 : Card Production Ordered
02-08-12 : Green Card received

ROC:

11-22-13 : ROC Sent

11-27-13 : NOA

12-17-13 : Biometrics

04-01-14 : RFE

05-16-14 : RFE Response Sent

05-22-14 : Card Production Ordered

05-30-14 : Card in hand

Filed: Timeline

I spent one unhappy Canadian Thanksgiving here in the US feeling miserable because I wasn't with family. Ever since then I make a point of going back. Same with Christmas. Life is too short not to share holidays with family. I currently have a flight to FL in a few days, and am booked to fly directy from there to Canada. But I may cancel the FL trip and just go directly to Canada. Still trying to decide.

iagree.gif

I can see myself going back to Canada in the future for Thanksgiving, just this year I can't :( My parents are also coming down here for Christmas and this Thanksgiving dinner is a trial run for Christmas dinner than I plan to cook when they are here :)

formerly sherrybaby

ROC Process

12-13-2013 * 90 day window to apply opens

02-24-2014 * ROC package sent to USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-25-2014 * ROC package received at USCIS Vermont Service Center

02-26-2014 * NOA1 notice date

02-28-2014 * Cheque cashed

03-05-2014 * Biometrics notice date

03-28-2014 * Biometrics Appointment in Baltimore

It's weird, this will actually be the first Canadian Thanksgiving I've spent with any "family" in a really long time (Be it my husband's family), yet I've been here for American Thanksgiving with his family the last three years... Yet at the same time, I'm still kinda bummed at not being back in Canada for it even though all I ever did was work and whine about holiday bus schedules, LOL.

K1:
10-27-10 : I129F Sent
11-03-10 : NOA1
04-06-11 : NOA2
06-20-11 : Medical (Toronto)
08-03-11 : Interview - APPROVED!
08-12-11 : Visa in Hand & POE
09-17-11 : Wedding <3

AOS:
11-02-11 : AOS Sent
12-05-11 : RFE
12-09-11 : Biometrics
01-11-12 : EAD/AP Card received
01-30-12 : AOS Interview
02-03-12 : Card Production Ordered
02-08-12 : Green Card received

ROC:

11-22-13 : ROC Sent

11-27-13 : NOA

12-17-13 : Biometrics

04-01-14 : RFE

05-16-14 : RFE Response Sent

05-22-14 : Card Production Ordered

05-30-14 : Card in hand

Back in Canada, us women were always hunting season widows, so Thanksgiving was usually a few women getting together. I was in the states last year and it was nice to have a turkey and his kids over. (My kids haven't been home for Thanksgiving in years, they save the trip for Christmas). USA Thanksgiving is at his mother's, so having one in October lets me do it my way :dance: and we get the left over turkey!

K1:
06-30-10 : I129F Sent
09-10-11 : POE
10-15-11 : Wedding <3

AOS Journey:
11-07-11 : AOS Sent
02-21-12 : AOS APPROVED!!
03-01-12 : Green Card in hand!!

ROC:

APPROVED April 1, 2014

No April Fool here!!

We will be arriving home from our delayed honeymoon to FL (leaving Saturday morning for a week) on Canadian Thanksgiving weekend. I'll probably cook a chicken on the Monday with all the trimmings. Same goes for the American Thanksgiving since it is so close to the Christmas turkey. I too cannot go back to Canada for the holidays because we are still waiting for the AOS process :-(

Sent AOS pack......2011-08-08

NOA's dated ..........2011-08-15

Biometrics..............2011-09-13

EAD card.................2011-10-26

AP card....................2011-10-26

AOS approved .......2011-12-19

Green card rec.......2011-12-27

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My in-laws love the fact that I celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving down here. They get TWO turkey dinners a year then instead of just one. I started it the first year I was here for Turkey day, kind of an ice breaker with the family, and it went very well and so I've continued it, turning it into a tradition.

We have my family's traditionbal meal of: a stuffed turkey, whipped potatos, gravy, sour cabbage rolls (unbelievably hard to find sour cabbage down here), shrimp lettuce salad, cranberries, fresh buns, carrots and brussel sprouts in cheese sauce, and for dessert we have 2 things 1: homemade cherry cheesecake and 2: homemade pumpkin pie with handwhipped whip cream (no can/bucket here!). :dance:

I'm looking forward to next weekends celebration as it will be my first since getting my Visa approved and doing my PoE earlier this week. :)

Yesterday is HISTORY

Tomorrow is a MYSTERY

Today is a GIFT, that's why we call it the PRESENT.

vkzhm4.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We're going home to Canada to spend it with my family. We also did this 2 years ago and it had been my first time home after moving to the US so it was really nice. Last year we had our church wedding in Canada only a few weeks before so we didn't go home, but since I had just been home and on my honeymoon and working again, I didn't really miss it.

I'm really excited to get home. My husband loves to that he now gets two thanksgivings :)

We also have a deal that we go to Canada at Christmas too since we spend so much more time with my husband's family!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes!!

Last year I couldn't go back cause we had a wedding here in the US.

But this year I'm planning on my husband & I going to celebrate.

I spent one unhappy Canadian Thanksgiving here in the US feeling miserable because I wasn't with family. Ever since then I make a point of going back. Same with Christmas. Life is too short not to share holidays with family.

Totally agree!!

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We can't afford to go back to Canada for thanksgiving, so I will cook a full thanksgiving meal here. I ask my in-laws to come over and celebrate with me. My MIL works shift work in retail so it is hit or miss if she will be able to come, and my SIL has some health issues so it depends on how she is feeling if the come or not. My husband works weekend night shift so for him it will be a get up, try not to eat too much and go to work :( so that part kind of sucks.

It will be Emma's first thanksgiving, so I will definitely go all out!!! And I love turkey and all the fixin's so it doesn't bother me that we will have 3 turkey dinners 3 months in a row!!

Timeline

I forgot Canada does their Thanksgiving a month early. Think my family might do stuff as I vaguely remember each year telling me their visiting one of my brothers places for it and every year I'm like "what the hell? Oh yeah you guys get winter a lot faster so your harvest season is really early.". Of course that comes from rebuttal from my mother who says oh don't be silly, we're warmer then many places in the US.

Either way, when I was out on my own still living in Canada, I always made a little turkey on the normal Thanksgiving and never did anything for the Canadian one. Since living here it hasn't changed :)

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I missed it the first couple years, but haven't cared so much the last couple. A hot Turkey with all the fixings in VA when it's 75 or 80 degress out just isn't the same.

I miss it mostly because my niece's birthday is always Thanksgiving weekend

We're not even celebrating US Thanksgiving either this year - since our wedding Anniversary falls directly on that day, we don't want to spend it with family members so we'll skip it this year.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

How about a twist on it? The first one of these I celebrated correctly (in thankfulness to God), I had already been in the US for nearly five years (on TN-1).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline

My mother in law is determined to make me turkey for Canadian Thanksgiving. I'm a little wary because last *American* thanksgiving she basically inadvertently tried to kill me by putting almonds in almost every meal and not telling me (I'm allergic) so she wants to do this as an attempt to apologize for that debacle, LOL. Hopefully it goes well :)

Here's hoping for an almond free Thanksgiving dinner for you! I too have a tree nut allergy! I am doing the Canadian Thanksgiving cooking so I am sure of it being nut free. We are having friends join us, she is a US citizen but her family is across the country so she empathizes with me on having my children and grandchildren so far away. Spinach gruyere puffs, baked crab ragoon, and a 3 cheese dip for an appetizer, brined turkey, sage dressing, mashed potatoe & gravy, stuffed acorn squash, sauteed brussel sprouts, perogies, and a pickel tray as the main meal, lemon merignue pie & dreamy high pumpkin pie for dessert. I will not eat for a week after lol. It is exciting to cook for friends and I know that I will cook again for children/grandchildren! I sure miss them!!!

Love Changes Everything

N-400 Process

May 29, 2016 paperwork sent in

June 3, 2016 check cashed! Text message received.

June 2, NOA

June 22, Biometrics

March 3 In Line for Interview

ROC Process

May 8, 2014 paperwork in hands of USCIS,California Service Center!

May 14, 2014 check cashed

June 2, 2014 Biometrics waived

July 16, 2014 10 yr greencard in hand!

AOS Process
September 29, 2011 AOS in hands of USCIS
July 9, 2012 WELCOME TO AMERICA letter!
July 11, 2012 Conditional GreenCard in hand!

K-1 Process
December 18, 2010 Our K-1 package arrived at Homeland Security
August 23, 2011 Approved
September 8, 2011 POE at Grand Portage, MN Border
September 11, 2011 Married!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.