sparkofcreation

Worth doing a designation of beneficiary?

6 posts in this topic

I posted here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31513 about my lack of evidence since moving cross-country--we no longer have joint utilities or joint health insurance cards.

Today I asked my HR person for a letter showing who was the beneficiary of my job's life insurance and pension. She emailed me back that I hadn't filled out a designation of beneficiary form yet (I thought I had, I know G. had to sign a bunch of stuff when I took the job), but if I wanted, she could write me a letter saying that my life insurance would be distributed in the normal order of precedence, which would be the first of 1. spouse (if any), 2. children (if any), 3. parents (if living) ... and so on.

Doing an actual designation-of-beneficiary form could take up to a month (and is a huge hassle involving filling out multiple copies of forms, signing in front of witnesses, etc.), and even if I do one, I'll only have just now done one, if you know what I mean.

My question is, do you think that a letter saying that my life insurance will go to my spouse is enough, or should I do a designation-of-beneficiary form, or should I not bother?

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

B, I don't see the point---sounds like the designation would be if you wanted the money to go to someone *other* than your spouse.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

B, I don't see the point---sounds like the designation would be if you wanted the money to go to someone *other* than your spouse.

Right, that would be the primary reason to do one, but the advantage would be that instead of saying "Bethany has a life insurance policy, the beneficiary is her spouse if any" it would say "Bethany has a life insurance policy, the beneficiary is her husband Gareth."

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Right, that would be the primary reason to do one, but the advantage would be that instead of saying "Bethany has a life insurance policy, the beneficiary is her spouse if any" it would say "Bethany has a life insurance policy, the beneficiary is her husband Gareth."

Yeah, I'm with you. Now you have two pionts to weigh against each other: Value of the evidence vs hassle of getting it. :P

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Just a thought - if you have a checking/savings/cd just in your name you can put a benficiary on those really easily - it's called a POD - Payment on death

You'd have a copy of the forms as evidence

Me - Gloucester England Him - Green Bay Wisconsin

1/10/05 Adjustment of status applied for for my son and I

1/19/05 Documents received and process started in Chicago

2/24/05 Fingerprinting and Biometrics done in Milwaukee

3/4/05 received in the post

3/7/05 Applied at local office in Green Bay for SSN

3/8/05 Received a print out of SSN number from the office and card is on it's way !

3/10/05 Got a job ! Server at Smokey Bones - will do for now while I'm looking for the right job !

3/16/05 card arrives

3/18/05 Got state ID Card

5/20/05 Appt interview letter received for 29th June 2005

6/16/05 After 3 interviews with Associated Bank have been offered a Personal Bankers Position to start on july 5th - excellent news 40 hours !!!

6/25/05 Passed my driving test !

6/29/05 APPROVED - Adjustment of status interview - Milwaukee

7/8/05 Green cards arrived for both my son and I

05/10/07 documents sent to lift conditions

05/24/07 letters rec'd extending green card and biometrics letters rec'd for 06/11/2007

06/11/07 Biometrics done in Milwaukee

04/11/08 letters received from UCIS transferring case to California from Nebraska service centre

Yeah, I'm with you. Now you have two pionts to weigh against each other: Value of the evidence vs hassle of getting it. :P

It actually turned out that I was able to get our HR person to explain to me how to fill out the form (it wanted to know my "Department, Bureau, Division, Location" and all I was sure of was the last one!) and two HR people were able to witness my signature (I'd thought when I posted that I had to find two witnesses on my own) and so it wasn't that much of a hassle after all. We'll see if the paperwork comes through in time, but at least I have copies of the application.

I hope it makes people feel somewhat better to know that working for the federal government is just as much hassle as dealing with immigration ... and yes, our fingerprint checks take just as long to complete.

Just a thought - if you have a checking/savings/cd just in your name you can put a benficiary on those really easily - it's called a POD - Payment on death

You'd have a copy of the forms as evidence

Not really. We each have a personal checking account that we keep minimal amounts of money in for our personal, none-of-your-business-if-I-want-to-buy-something-expensive-with-my-money use, but mainly we use our joint checking and savings accounts. (The problem with those is the subject of the other post I linked to.)

Edited by sparkofcreation

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.