feelings

Canadian in the US

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm a Canadian and came to visit my bf of 3 years in the US and we decided to get married on the spot. I don't know what the next step should be in terms of filing for a work permit at least. I'd prefer to get something going to start working here.

Any help would be much much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

CULTIVATE KINDNESS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I'm a Canadian and came to visit my bf of 3 years in the US and we decided to get married on the spot. I don't know what the next step should be in terms of filing for a work permit at least. I'd prefer to get something going to start working here.

Any help would be much much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

After marraige the USC files I-130 petition for your immigration. Check this link for details.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

USA

01/08/13 - Approved and GC is order for production on 1/8/14

09/12/13 - Case transferred to CSC. NOA2 received on 09/18/13

08/30/13 - Biometrics Done - No walk ins allowed at this LSC (received on 8/16/13).

08/05/13 - NOA1 (received on 08/10/13)

08/01/13 - Mailed I-751 (received on 8/2/13 - check cashed on 8/5/13)

12/28/11 - Received SSN (applied on 12/20/11, as we didn't get based on DS-230 options)
11/28/11 - Received Green Card (Expires on 10/30/13) - Welcome Letter on 11/17/11
10/30/11 - POE - Houston, TX

Chennai Consulate (40 days)
10/28/11 - Received Visa papers and Passport at VFS
10/25/11 - Interview Cleared Successfully (Spouse was not allowed in)

NVC: (90 days from NOA2 to Consulate)
08/31/11 - Case Completed (Interview 10/25/11) - Received at Chennai on 09/19/11
07/22/11 - NVC Case Number

USCIS: (92 days)

6/21/11 - NOA2 (NOA1 on 3/25/11) - took a month to get to NVC
3/21/11 - I-130 sent to USCIS Lockbox, Chicago.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You need to get your green card before you can legally work, and depending on the path you take, it will be 6 - 12 months

Since you had no intent to stay permanently when you arrived, you can file for Adjustment of Status from within the US. Here is the VJ Guide. http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

If you choose this path, you cannot go home until you get a temporary travel permission called Advance Parole, which takes 2-3 months to receive. The temporary work permit will also take 2-3 months. After that (usually, though sometimes it's around the same time) you will have an interview for your greencard and once you receive that, you no longer need the temporary permissions.

If you aren't prepared to stay here for a few months without going home, then you can start the process for a spousal visa. You can continue to visit here (no work) until your allotted time is up (usually 6 months) and then finish the spousal visa process in Canada. Good luck to you!

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

NavyK thank you for your reply. the link is very helpful.

magical as to my knowledge I believed I could work on a working number until I received a Green Card? Is this not true? What would be the fastest route for this?

CULTIVATE KINDNESS

Timeline

Since you had no intent to stay permanently when you arrived, you can file for Adjustment of Status from within the US. Here is the VJ Guide. http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

If you choose this path, you cannot go home until you get a temporary travel permission called Advance Parole, which takes 2-3 months to receive. The temporary work permit will also take 2-3 months. After that (usually, though sometimes it's around the same time) you will have an interview for your greencard and once you receive that, you no longer need the temporary permissions.

If you aren't prepared to stay here for a few months without going home, then you can start the process for a spousal visa. You can continue to visit here (no work) until your allotted time is up (usually 6 months) and then finish the spousal visa process in Canada. Good luck to you!

This sounds much faster :)

Is the Adjustment of Status a different form or would the I-130 satisfy this?

CULTIVATE KINDNESS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Harpa is correct...once you start the AOS process, you can apply for the temporary permit--I apologize in that I overlooked that since you will likely be in the AOS process rather than the CR-1 process if you can stay here...if you leave only for a day, the AOS is out the window, so be sure you know what you are doing before you start down that path.

This sounds much faster :)

Is the Adjustment of Status a different form or would the I-130 satisfy this?

No, the AOS is many many forms all filed together. Please reference the linked guide for the list of forms (which does include the I-130 but many many more). USCIS calls this a I-130/I-485 CONCURRENT application.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.