Sherri13

a few questions

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hello :) I LOVE this site...I've had so many questions answered ( grrrr...the USCIS help number was a frustrating endeavor)... thank you so much for this site! Made me feel loads better about this process. :)

I do have a few questions, please, if someone can help me. My fiance is English and has filled out the G-325A form, but he doesn't know his parents' birth dates. Is that going to delay the process? Also, do I put "n/a" or "none" in all of the blank spots on the forms? When the fiance visa is approved (please, Lord), and he has to go to the American embassy/consulate, will he need American currency or the British currency? One more question for tonight :) we understand there is a $350 fee for his end, at the embassy...does that include the medical exam or will we have to pay for that separately?

Thank you, again, so much for the site...I can't tell you how much its helped me already!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Israel
Timeline

Can't he ask his parent for birth dates? Have him use a credit card, that's what my wife did.

Not knowing the birth days can cause your application to get rejected and cause a delay. Na/ or none should not do anything. Just follow the examples here and you will be okay.

Edited by AMP

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hello :) I LOVE this site...I've had so many questions answered ( grrrr...the USCIS help number was a frustrating endeavor)... thank you so much for this site! Made me feel loads better about this process. :)

I do have a few questions, please, if someone can help me. My fiance is English and has filled out the G-325A form, but he doesn't know his parents' birth dates. Is that going to delay the process? Also, do I put "n/a" or "none" in all of the blank spots on the forms? When the fiance visa is approved (please, Lord), and he has to go to the American embassy/consulate, will he need American currency or the British currency? One more question for tonight :) we understand there is a $350 fee for his end, at the embassy...does that include the medical exam or will we have to pay for that separately?

Thank you, again, so much for the site...I can't tell you how much its helped me already!

Not having his parents birth dates will need to be explained and would likely cause an RFE (Request for Further Evidence). If the information is not available he may need to write a letter stating why he can't supply the dates. The delay would be as long as it takes him to write the letter, have someone at USCIS look at it and either accept the explanation or ask for more evidence.

As far as blanks are concerned "none" if it doesn't exist or "N/A" if it doesn't apply. For example if you don't have a middle name put none. If it's your child's SSN and you don't have a child put N/A. Some people just put "---------" and that's fine to.

Pounds should be fine to pay the fees I imagine. The medical exam should be a separate fee.

Good Luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I did not know my father's birthday so I put "unknown" and our petition was approved with No RFEs. If the birthdate is not on the birth certificate and it is truly unknown you should be fine. If you have some way of finding it then, yes asking makes sense, but I had no way of knowing and since his name was not on my birth certificate they didn't ask any questions or slow down our case because of it.

When the fiance visa is approved (please, Lord), and he has to go to the American embassy/consulate, will he need American currency or the British currency? One more question for tonight :) we understand there is a $350 fee for his end, at the embassy...does that include the medical exam or will we have to pay for that separately?

London specific answer:

You pay for the visa in advance by credit card over the phone to the embassy. $350 US dollars (which will be converted to GBP by his credit card company based on the exchange rate.)

The medical is a separate fee paid to the Knightsbridge doctors on the day of the appointment. 210 GBP.

Edit-- And there is a courier fee paid on the day of the interview to get his passport/visa delivered. See fees here http://www.thedx.co.uk/customerservice/dxgroupusembassy/visa-deliveries/

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My wife's father is deceased, and her mother doesn't know when her birthday is (more on this in a moment). We just put the year of birth for each of them. No RFE's.

Not long ago, people in Vietnam didn't really celebrate their individual birthdays. A person's age was determined by which year of their life they were in; i.e., a newborn baby was "1" because it was it's first year of life. Everyone entered a new year of life on the same day - the lunar new year, or "Tet". Essentially, everyone had the same birthday. The closest thing my step-mother has to her actual birthday is the day her name was first entered into the household register book. She has no idea how long after she was born this happened. At the time, in her culture, it didn't matter.

Most Vietnamese people born in the last 50 years or so do know what day their birthday is, and they do celebrate individual birthdays western style now, with cakes and candles etc. They even sing "Happy Birthday" - in English! :blush:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Some cultures put their birth around an annual event such as New Year or a special day and that's the best that you can get. My grandparents never knew their birthdays. There are times when not knowing the dates is legitimate, but that can be explained in a cover letter.

As for the extra spaces, YES put N/A or NONE in them. Now if there is a spot for six kid's names and there are no kids, write NONE in the name block for the first kid and leave the rest blank. You don't need NONE NONE NONE all over the form, I just put it in the first big block. Like if they want employers and you were never employed, put NONE under name of employer and that's it.

Save N/A for entries that do not apply, like if it asks if you are pregnant and you are a male, etc.

K-1 Journey

03-03-2011 - Mailed I-129F application.

03-06-2011 - Packet received in Texas.

03-23-2011 - NOA1 received in mail, dated 03-09-2011.

05-31-2011 - RFE requested. They want better passport pictures of me.

06-06-2011 - Additional passport pics sent.

06-08-2011 - Evidence received and acknowledged. Whew!

06-16-2011 - NOA2 received!

07-20-2011 - Packet 3 Received!

08-01-2011 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

08-22-2011 - Packet 4 Received!

09-19-2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

09-23-2011 - Visa in Hand

09-29-2011 - POE LAX

11-11-2011 - Wedding at 11:11pm GMT time.

AOS Journey

12-02-2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/AP paperwork.

12-05-2011 - Delivery confirmation per USPS.

12-27-2011 - (3) NOA I-797C received, dated 12-20-2011. Biometrics appt set.

01-10-2012 - Biometrics.

01-20-2012 - Notified of interview appointment for 2-21-2012.

01-31-2012 - EAD and AP approved.

02-08-2012 - EAD/AP card received.

02-21-2012 - AOS interview approved. EAD/AP card confiscated.

03-01-2012 - Green Card in hand!!!

364 days total time!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.