JDC655

No Idea Where to Start

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

So this question I'm sure has been posted time and time again but here is the situation:

I'm Canadian, my boyfriend is American. We travel back and forth to visit each other. Recently I stayed in the USA for 2 months of the summer living with him. I was unemployed because I did not have a Visa or Green Card to work.

I recently came back to Canada for a weekend wedding and was denied entrance back into the United States because I could not prove "Strong enough ties to Canada". I know I need a work visa, or something to work there, but I was under the impression I was able to visit the United States for up to 6 months per calander year.

I really want to move there, unfortunately I have no "skill" (other than an Arts degree) that "no other american can/will provide" to get a company to sponsor me. I'm also not about to take out a huge debt for a student loan when I have already attended post-secondary education in Canada.

I have no idea how to get down there legally now, We're not 100% ready for marriage, and I'm red flagged at the border.

Does anyone have any idea of where i could START to begin to look at some options?

The immigration websites are extremely overwhelming and I have no idea what I could qualify for...if I do at all...

Any link or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Filed: Timeline

This happened to me in 1998. If you do not have a return ticket to Canada, or bills back in Canada in your name, you will not be allowed in. I believe it's now 6 months with no entry allowed. Or they probably gave you a checklist of what you will have to show before they allow you to return. Gather all these things. And unfortunately, as for me, for the next several years, they will grill you on why you were detained before. Always answer yes to this question when they ask. They already see it. Just want to catch you lying. The next time you try to enter is the most important. Have a good amount of cash on you, bills in your name back in Canada and tell them the truth.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

work and school are the two main ones if your not ready to marry yet.

You could always collect very good ties to Canada and try to cross again with return tickets for a time LESS than 6 months, try 1 month.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

So this question I'm sure has been posted time and time again but here is the situation:

I'm Canadian, my boyfriend is American. We travel back and forth to visit each other. Recently I stayed in the USA for 2 months of the summer living with him. I was unemployed because I did not have a Visa or Green Card to work.

I recently came back to Canada for a weekend wedding and was denied entrance back into the United States because I could not prove "Strong enough ties to Canada". I know I need a work visa, or something to work there, but I was under the impression I was able to visit the United States for up to 6 months per calander year.

I really want to move there, unfortunately I have no "skill" (other than an Arts degree) that "no other american can/will provide" to get a company to sponsor me. I'm also not about to take out a huge debt for a student loan when I have already attended post-secondary education in Canada.

I have no idea how to get down there legally now, We're not 100% ready for marriage, and I'm red flagged at the border.

Does anyone have any idea of where i could START to begin to look at some options?

The immigration websites are extremely overwhelming and I have no idea what I could qualify for...if I do at all...

Any link or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You mut have told them that you are visiting your boyfrined and that you lived with him. Right?

K-1 TIMELINE11/03/2010 Mailed I-129F Petition to USCIS VSC
11/15/2010 Received NOA1 in the mail
02/04/2011 Requested expediting of case for military deployment
02/11/2011 Expediting request approved
02/22/2011 Received expediting request approval letter in the mail
02/28/2011 NOA2 Document Received in the mail
02/28/2011 NVC received and case # assigned
03/01/2011 Case sent to Embassy
03/04/2011 Case received at the Embassy
03/09/2011 Embassy sent Packet 3 via mail (we did not wait for it, downloaded forms online)
03/15/2011 Sent Packet 3 to the Embassy
03/18/2011 Embassy received Packet 3 in the mail
03/28/2011 Received Packet 4 from Embassy
04/20/2011 Embassy Interview Date (APPROVED)
04/27/2011 POE JFK, NY
AOS/AE/AP TIMELINE
06/24/2011 Mailed the AOS/EA/AP
07/05/2011 Received NOA1's for the AP/AE/AOS dated 06/27/2011
07/08/2011 Received NOA for biometrics appointment
07/25/2011 Biometrics appointment
08/24/2011 Received AP/AE card in the mail
09/08/2011 AOS interview APPROVED
09/09/2011 Card in production
09/19/2011 Green card on hand!

I-130 TIMELINE - STEPDAUGHTER I-751 TIMELINE-WIFE

04/07/2013 Mailed I-130 petition 06/10/2013 Mailed I-751 petition

04/14/2013 Received NOA1 inthe mail 06/19/2013 Received NOA1 in mail

05/04/2013 Requested expediting due to military deployment %

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Yeah, I told them I was staying with him while I was there..

That`s what made them very unhappy.

You need a visa to live, work or go to school. When you said staying with him they heard living with him. You didn't mean to break the rules but now you know. I hope it works out for you.

Yeah, the key word used was "Living" with your boyfriend... That's what caused the "Red Flag" in their eyes! I had a friend that said the same thing and they wouldn't allow her to cross back into the US with her boyfriend, so she had to call her parents and have them drive 3 hours to the border to pick her up at 3am!!

Edited by CourtneyRox

Removal of Conditions

[03-24-2014] ROC paperwork sent.

[03-25-2014] NOA1.

[04-21-2014] Biometrics

[06-17-2014] Card in production

[06-25-2014] Card in HAND

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

work and school are the two main ones if your not ready to marry yet.

You could always collect very good ties to Canada and try to cross again with return tickets for a time LESS than 6 months, try 1 month.

You definitely need to have strong ties and having a return ticket already booked will work in your favour. Keep in mind though, and I say this not to dishearten you, but whether you get in or not is not always based on how strong your ties are to Canada but also on what kind of day the border agent is having.

This isn't right, it isn't fair and I don't agree with it - but as we don't make the rules, it's not something we can fix - we just have to live with it.

I was denied entry earlier this year as well. I had very strong ties to Canada on hand to prove I was not going to be staying. I had my bank statements, a letter from my employer stating I only had X amount of time off work, and my return ticket booked.

Have you thought about having him come up and stay with you for a visit? (It wouldn't hurt to start and keep track of dates of travelling back and forth, in case you decide to go the K1 or CR1 Visa routes.)

Good luck!

Yesterday is HISTORY

Tomorrow is a MYSTERY

Today is a GIFT, that's why we call it the PRESENT.

vkzhm4.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Have you looked at the various visas or status's you might qualify for? Most common visa is the H1-b and the most common status is a TN status. See if you qualify for either a visa or status.

Of course even if you do qualify for either type of work related documents, you would still need a job to sponsor you and you'd have to luck out finding one close to your boyfriends town. But it's about the only option for moving there I can see without going through the entire marriage process which is time consuming...

Edited by warlord

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Have you looked at the various visas or status's you might qualify for? Most common visa is the H1-b and the most common status is a TN status. See if you qualify for either a visa or status.

Of course even if you do qualify for either type of work related documents, you would still need a job to sponsor you and you'd have to luck out finding one close to your boyfriends town. But it's about the only option for moving there I can see without going through the entire marriage process which is time consuming...

Keeping in mind that the 'block' of H1-B visas are released once a year (cannot remember when) and gobbled up very quickly. Since you aren't a rocket scientist or celeb entertainer (no insult intended) you more then likely aren't going to qualify for a work VISA for a position that could be filled by an American as you've noted.

Canadians do not have the RIGHT to enter the US for 6 months - they have the PRIVILEDGE. Don't get the 2 confused....the border guards may choose at their discretion to not allow you in (as you have experienced) or to allow you in for a reduced amount of time if they think you have intent to stay illegally or are moving without a proper VISA.

It's hard to be a US/Canadian couple if you don't have intentions of marrying eventually - it will be endless visits where you 'hope' they'll let you in each time.

Good luck

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Lot of advice from above. You as a Canadian have no RIGHT to enter the USA, its a totally different country (duh,lol) So like the guard stated you need strong ties to Canada to proove you are going to return to Canada. That included return airfare, letter from employer stating they expect you back to work on a certain date, Cdn utility bills, lease, etc etc!! Even then the POE officer does not have to let you in!! Never use the word "live", as your "visiting" let them know if they ask, that its not a serious relationship at this time and that ur aware of the fiance and marriage based visas. 1 thing you NEVER want to do is LIE!!! My free advice is in my signature. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think right now the only option (since the degree probably won't be good for a TN status and the new H1-b visa releases mentioned I think it's in Oct), is to have the boyfriend now visit you in Canada for the time being if you two are going to continue to see each other. Being flagged now will make it harder even to cross for simple things, so that's probably the best bet and hope he can visit you in Canada until you're possibly ready for marriage...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

From the information you provided, it doesn't sound like you qualify for any work visas unfortunately. Neither did I, so we ended up dating long distance for a long time until we were ready to file for a K1. In the end we dated long distance for 5 years, filed for the K1, waited out the 10 months process and then I moved here, after 6 years being apart.

Travelling back and forth to visit will be difficult, especially if you are going for long periods of time and also now that you've been denied. You can try to visit again, but you'll likely be asked to show strong ties to Canada, proving that you LIVE in Canada and are just visiting.

I never had a problem visiting back and forth and think it was because I had a good full time job in Toronto and I only went for long weekends or for 1 week tops and also had a return ticket. I think that having a full time 9-5 job, made all the difference. They asked me what I did for a living a lot, where I worked etc.

If you're not willing to live apart, then you need to consider marriage. If you're not ready for marriage, well then you just have to be patient. You may also consider going to live in another neutral country together until you're ready to marry and immigrate (like go teach english in South Korea, for example).

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Here's my suggestion if you are seiously wanting to go back to the US to "visit" your boyfriend - to be considered a visitor in the US you have to start "living" in Canada. Meaning, get yourself a job, get an income, get some bills, get yourself a reason that you have to return to Canada because you have obligations there. No job, no responsibility in Canada and just hanging out in the US = that you have no invested interest in Canada and thus no reason to leave the US which inturn = living in the US.

but also on what kind of day the border agent is having

I just also have to reply to this as I think this comment is not necessary (and I've seen it lots). Border Officers are there to do their job, they have certain criteria that they consider, I think it is ridiculous that people think that their decision is based soley on "what kind of day" they are having. Really??? So do Doctor's decide on if they are going to save someone's life based on "what kind of day" they are having? Do bankers only issue a loan to people if they are "having a good day"?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.