william_wallace

Anyone wish they were back in the UK

182 posts in this topic

They wouldn't say it to their face, they say it on the internet. :lol:

:lol:

Well I've not seen it here - that's all I'm saying (in this thread anyway).

SA4userbar.jpg

I haven't heard anyone here say 'too bad' to those who lose their job and have no coverage. Anyone who would say that is just an #######.

When bad things happen to good people?

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

I've noticed that too. It's a very "American" thing. We're all about independence, pulling yourself up by your bootstraps, etc., which in a lot of ways is AWESOME, but in some ways is too extreme. When it means losing your sense of community or refusing to see that others truly need help and things are not fair, then it becomes a problem.

I think more people say things like that than actually think it though. I'd like to see what happens when some of the "too bad" people get themselves in a pickle (lose their job) and have to work somewhere where health insurance isn't offered & they can't afford to purchase a plan to cover themselves and their families, and Medicaid won't help them.

Couldn't agree with you more.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Maybe not pay health insurance & pharmaceutical execs. astronomical salaries and bonuses. I don't know, it's just a start. But I'm sure it would absorb a bit of the expense, don't ya think?

15 Executives Who Get Paid Millions to Deny You Healthcare Coverage

It'd be one hell of a start! Though then in essence that would mean the health insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies would be responsible for paying that bit of our health care? It's like...who do you trust to take your care as seriously as you do? =/

2010 K1 December Filers: December Filers Citizenship Help

---
Let's get this Citizenship party started:
Dec 28. 2011 - Sent AOS Forms
May 15. 2012 - Green Card in Hand
Jun 12. 2012 - Our 1st Baby was born! :)

Oct 14. 2014 - ROC approved.
---

08/16/2015 - Looking into Citizenship process!

Click Here for a detailed timeline of our K1 Journey.

Can't you? I've never worked anywhere where I was required to take a benefit that was offered.

Yep, it is here. They cover me alone but for family coverage, well then I pay that part.

Owning a car is a privilege, healthcare is a human right.

Says who? Have you been to Africa lately? Are the dying people suing doctors for infringing on their right to healthcare?

I think the fix is to make healthcare available and affordable to everyone no matter their working status. Tge piece I dont think has been answered is who pays for that massive reduction in rates. I've always felt that way. I don't know the realistic answer to that which will make everyone happy. I just know truly free isn't it.

given where we are today, i'm playing the game with the choices I was given. To me insurance is a high priority because I need health care. Sure, it'd be great not to have to weigh that in my list of elective priorities, but today it has to be.

Here is a basic solution: Take the national health care cost and divide it by the number of people receiving the care. Find the mean, so that half the people pay less than their cost half pay more, based on income. Then step the cost by income.

Here is a real simple example: Three people live in the country and want hearth coverage. They earn $500, $1000 and $1500 a year respectively. Medical costs annually are, say, $1200 for them all. The guy who earns $1,000 is in the middle of the other two so he pays $400 which is his fair share. The poor guy earns $500 which is half and so he pays only $200. The rich guy at $1500 pays $600. Now the full $1200 needed for health care is paid. Just like income taxes now, the cost is progressive. Everyone who uses it paid into it. Sound good?

K-1 Journey

03-03-2011 - Mailed I-129F application.

03-06-2011 - Packet received in Texas.

03-23-2011 - NOA1 received in mail, dated 03-09-2011.

05-31-2011 - RFE requested. They want better passport pictures of me.

06-06-2011 - Additional passport pics sent.

06-08-2011 - Evidence received and acknowledged. Whew!

06-16-2011 - NOA2 received!

07-20-2011 - Packet 3 Received!

08-01-2011 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

08-22-2011 - Packet 4 Received!

09-19-2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

09-23-2011 - Visa in Hand

09-29-2011 - POE LAX

11-11-2011 - Wedding at 11:11pm GMT time.

AOS Journey

12-02-2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/AP paperwork.

12-05-2011 - Delivery confirmation per USPS.

12-27-2011 - (3) NOA I-797C received, dated 12-20-2011. Biometrics appt set.

01-10-2012 - Biometrics.

01-20-2012 - Notified of interview appointment for 2-21-2012.

01-31-2012 - EAD and AP approved.

02-08-2012 - EAD/AP card received.

02-21-2012 - AOS interview approved. EAD/AP card confiscated.

03-01-2012 - Green Card in hand!!!

364 days total time!

I think the fix is to make healthcare available and affordable to everyone no matter their working status. Tge piece I dont think has been answered is who pays for that massive reduction in rates. I've always felt that way. I don't know the realistic answer to that which will make everyone happy. I just know truly free isn't it.

given where we are today, i'm playing the game with the choices I was given. To me insurance is a high priority because I need health care. Sure, it'd be great not to have to weigh that in my list of elective priorities, but today it has to be.

Dizzy, you're expecting a baby, right?

I thought you might be interested to hear how things were for me, 24 years ago, when my son was born.

My ex-husband and I both worked for local banking institutions. We both had health coverage that cost us nothing (I guess through jobs where our employers valued us? - don't know). We were both on each others policies.

My son was born through emergency C-section. I think the entire bill was around $10K. He and I were both in hospital four days. I think we paid about $100 out of pocket to the anesthesiologist. Oh - I also had 3 days in the hospital in my first trimester for complications - I don't recall paying anything for that either. Insurance took care of it.

This is just my personal example of how much the health care scenario, and health care costs, have risen in a little over two decades. Because I've lived it - this is why I am so passionately opposed to what is going on in America now.

Yep, it is here. They cover me alone but for family coverage, well then I pay that part.

Says who? Have you been to Africa lately? Are the dying people suing doctors for infringing on their right to healthcare?

Here is a basic solution: Take the national health care cost and divide it by the number of people receiving the care. Find the mean, so that half the people pay less than their cost half pay more, based on income. Then step the cost by income.

Here is a real simple example: Three people live in the country and want hearth coverage. They earn $500, $1000 and $1500 a year respectively. Medical costs annually are, say, $1200 for them all. The guy who earns $1,000 is in the middle of the other two so he pays $400 which is his fair share. The poor guy earns $500 which is half and so he pays only $200. The rich guy at $1500 pays $600. Now the full $1200 needed for health care is paid. Just like income taxes now, the cost is progressive. Everyone who uses it paid into it. Sound good?

When a government "taxes" its people a percentage of their earnings to cover national insurance, that is sorta how it works................

Oh and your little comment about Africa - I think that is low. Aside from a few facts like humanitarian efforts in those nations to bring healthcare to the population, and the fact the US is supposed to be the leader of the Free World so hey why not compare it to Africa.

Edited by Rebecca Jo

Filed: Timeline

I thought you might be interested to hear how things were for me, 24 years ago, when my son was born.

My ex-husband and I both worked for local banking institutions. We both had health coverage that cost us nothing (I guess through jobs where our employers valued us? - don't know). We were both on each others policies.

My son was born through emergency C-section. I think the entire bill was around $10K. He and I were both in hospital four days. I think we paid about $100 out of pocket to the anesthesiologist. Oh - I also had 3 days in the hospital in my first trimester for complications - I don't recall paying anything for that either. Insurance took care of it.

This is just my personal example of how much the health care scenario, and health care costs, have risen in a little over two decades. Because I've lived it - this is why I am so passionately opposed to what is going on in America now.

My daughter was born last summer. My wife and I were in the hospital 3 or 4 days. Our daughter was in the NICU for 10 additional days.

My out of pocket was around $300.

The most interesting part of it all was that Blue Cross didn't consider the last 2 days of NICU stay "medically necessary" and refused to pay for it... but also said I am not liable for it. The hospital had to eat the cost.

When a government "taxes" its people a percentage of their earnings to cover national insurance, that is sorta how it works................

I agree 100%. But that's not what is happening. It also takes out the free choice if I am REQUIRED to have coverage. I believe it is unconstitutional to MAKE me buy something and tax me for it regardless. The screw up was trying to revamp medical coverages. They simply should have revamped the insurance industry.

K-1 Journey

03-03-2011 - Mailed I-129F application.

03-06-2011 - Packet received in Texas.

03-23-2011 - NOA1 received in mail, dated 03-09-2011.

05-31-2011 - RFE requested. They want better passport pictures of me.

06-06-2011 - Additional passport pics sent.

06-08-2011 - Evidence received and acknowledged. Whew!

06-16-2011 - NOA2 received!

07-20-2011 - Packet 3 Received!

08-01-2011 - Packet 3 returned to Embassy.

08-22-2011 - Packet 4 Received!

09-19-2011 - Interview...APPROVED!

09-23-2011 - Visa in Hand

09-29-2011 - POE LAX

11-11-2011 - Wedding at 11:11pm GMT time.

AOS Journey

12-02-2011 - Mailed in AOS/EAD/AP paperwork.

12-05-2011 - Delivery confirmation per USPS.

12-27-2011 - (3) NOA I-797C received, dated 12-20-2011. Biometrics appt set.

01-10-2012 - Biometrics.

01-20-2012 - Notified of interview appointment for 2-21-2012.

01-31-2012 - EAD and AP approved.

02-08-2012 - EAD/AP card received.

02-21-2012 - AOS interview approved. EAD/AP card confiscated.

03-01-2012 - Green Card in hand!!!

364 days total time!

I wasn't referring to you specifically. We've had this discussion many times before and I know you have mentioned some things you don't like about it.

Neither did I state the NHS was perfect - my posts states that there are faults in each, so your comment about fans of the NHS 'hardly ever' noticing faults with it does not appear reflective of this thread upto this post (as I have not read the rest as yet). I would still defend it, as I think the ideology of it is worth upholding.

Just for comparison purposes - I had a baby in 2010. Vaginal birth so my daughter and I were only in the hospital for 2 nights. Entire bill for both of us was around

$20, 000. We were both on my insurance through my employer.

I paid $200 total for both of us out of pocket. It would have only been $100 had the nurse not discharged me after we first arrived in L&D per my doctor's instructions (only to come back 4 hours later after my water broke...! Stupid nurse, LOL).

SA4userbar.jpg

If I pay nothing for car insurance, how much coverage do you think I should get?

Also of note, my employer coverage that costs me $1,000 a month is the SAME that I can buy online for $400 a month. But I have to get it through work. Why can I not go buy it myself?

Can't you? I've never worked anywhere where I was required to take a benefit that was offered.

In my personal experience when you buy insurance privately, insurance companies will deny you coverage if you have preexisting conditions such as osteoporosis, diabetes, PCOS, family history of cancer or heart conditions, etc. They usually also deny preventive stuff like routine well-woman exams, birth control, pregnancy and thus keep the cost down. However, you will not have coverage issues if you purchase it through your employer or some kind of a group.

You can purchase your own insurance and show proof of it to your employer if you chose not to go with their insurance.

I'm not enjoying paying for all 3 of us. But I am doing it because i'm doing what's best for my family in 2012 living in America.

Kudos to being alive and making babies 20+ years ago. I'm making babies in 2012, tho.

I understand your passion and I don't think it's a bad thing. I pray it does get more affordable for all of us. But arguing with me about what i'm doing now so that I can afford to care for my family, calling it lacking in empathy, hating on the fact that I have a job that gives me good benefits, and assuming I think life is dandy in America today is uncalled for.

If i'm not getting my topics mixed up the whole reason I joined this convo was because I was surprised at what you all WEREN'T being offered at your jobs. Not because I don't care, rather because I do.

---

---

Filed: Timeline

My employer requires I either take their insurance or show evidence of being insured to complete the benefits enrollment process.

The only way I could 'opt out' is if I skip open enrollment altogether... which means if I wanted dental but not health I can't. Or if I wanted group life but not health I can't.

Edited by \

Just for comparison purposes - I had a baby in 2010. Vaginal birth so my daughter and I were only in the hospital for 2 nights. Entire bill for both of us was around

$20, 000. We were both on my insurance through my employer.

I paid $200 total for both of us out of pocket. It would have only been $100 had the nurse not discharged me after we first arrived in L&D per my doctor's instructions (only to come back 4 hours later after my water broke...! Stupid nurse, LOL).

I looking at the same thing. I havent paid a drop for any of my appointments. Maternity care is covered 100%, including the hospital stay. The only.time I offer a $20 copay is if I get cheeky and wanna sneak a peek at my little peanut hehe basically off routine stuff.

---

---

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.