AKSinghSingh79

Trying to evade a co-sponsor, is it possible?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

My first question is what is the extent of the co-sponsor's financial responsibility to the beneficiary? The reason I ask is my mother agreed to be the co-sponsor for my fiance if I am not approved on my income alone. But I think she is having some reservations about it because she does not understand everything that it entails. She keeps asking me if it will hurt her credit, jeopardize her job, or her bank will be forced to deduct money if my fiance ran into financial trouble or was unable to secure a job.

I told her not to worry, that none of these things were true but I wanted to make sure that there is nothing else I'm missing. If she continues to be paranoid, I may just ask someone else to be my co-sponsor.

Now onto my second question.....

I just started a new job, actually it's my first full-time permanent job since I graduated college.

Between college, internships, and temporary positions, my work history is very scattered and typical of a recent college grad.

My fiance and I have not started the K-1 process yet (I'm still waiting on his forms to arrive from India! :( ) so by the time I will file the affidavit, I will have been working for 6-8 months. I make well over the poverty line so that will not be a problem but I just hope that they will approve me despite my unstable work history. What are the chances I'll be approved?

Thanks!

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Good

The obligations are on the form.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tonga
Timeline

Hey! I am in the same boat. I am currently working my first full-time job ever since graduating college. I was in the peace corps for a while before this job, but of course that was volunteer and didn't pay. My tax returns will show under poverty level for all the past years I've filed. But, I also asked this question to VJ a few months ago and I was told that as long as I can prove my income with pay stubs and a letter of employment and good standing from my employer I should be fine.

I also don't really have a co-sponsor. I mentioned it briefly once to my mom and I could tell right away she wasn't comfortable so I never brought it up again. I don't have anyone else to ask either. SO, i'm on my own. But, like I said, we should be fine because by the time we would have to provide an affidavit of support we could prove sufficient income.

Also, they will be able to tell you were a full-time student, so they will understand why your income was low as opposed to just job hopping for no reason.

Filed: Timeline

My first question is what is the extent of the co-sponsor's financial responsibility to the beneficiary? The reason I ask is my mother agreed to be the co-sponsor for my fiance if I am not approved on my income alone. But I think she is having some reservations about it because she does not understand everything that it entails. She keeps asking me if it will hurt her credit, jeopardize her job, or her bank will be forced to deduct money if my fiance ran into financial trouble or was unable to secure a job.

I told her not to worry, that none of these things were true but I wanted to make sure that there is nothing else I'm missing. If she continues to be paranoid, I may just ask someone else to be my co-sponsor.

Now onto my second question.....

I just started a new job, actually it's my first full-time permanent job since I graduated college.

Between college, internships, and temporary positions, my work history is very scattered and typical of a recent college grad.

My fiance and I have not started the K-1 process yet (I'm still waiting on his forms to arrive from India! :( ) so by the time I will file the affidavit, I will have been working for 6-8 months. I make well over the poverty line so that will not be a problem but I just hope that they will approve me despite my unstable work history. What are the chances I'll be approved?

Thanks!

Do not dismiss your mother's concerns. As the joint sponsor, she would be liable to reimburse the US government if your husband receives certain means tested benefits. In addition, your husband can sue her for support. (There's a thread about this in the last couple of weeks - the foreign immigrant spouse and her unemployed US citizen husband are trying to sue the joint sponsor because they don't have money to live on.)

The I-864 is not just another document to sign and submit. There are real life consequences. Generally, the immigrants come and there are no problems. Occasionally, there will be an immigrant who wants to take advantage of the joint sponsor.

Personally, I would never sign on as a joint sponsor for anybody who wasn't a blood relative.

Your mom is being reasonable in trying to determine what her liabilities would be if she signs the I-864 for your fiancee. After all, you are asking her to put her financial safety at risk for your fiancee.

Edited by Jojo92122

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.