NigeriaorBust

Was race of the petioner brought up in the interview

38 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Yes there are a lot of immigrants from around the world. But I have never heard of an asian woman being asked if her father died because she was marrying a white man ( my husband was asked this ) or why didn't they just go marry someone local black instead of their husband ( this question has also been asked at Lagos ) These questions are rude, and racially insensitive. Even though Lagos is in a foreign country it is considered US soil and as such I expect the US personel there to behave as US citizens should and be accountable for bias due to race, age and religion. I know scammers tend to marry whites because they are less apt to travel back into country after the marriage a detect second families but the questions asked my husband did nothing to detect fraud they are just an embarrasing behavior. It is no wonder that US consulates are hated in some countries when the employees act in this way.

:thumbs: I agree COMPLETLY!!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline
Did your beneficiary leave you my friend? Considering the fact that your interview was such a cake walk...

I thought I made it quite clear in my post that I was the beneficiary. And I thought I could chime in with my input since the topic at hand reads "Was the race of the petitioner brought up in the interview?" given that I am half a part of an inter-racial couple that interviewed at a US Consulate-General.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Timeline

I thought I made it quite clear in my post that I was the beneficiary. And I thought I could chime in with my input since the topic at hand reads "Was the race of the petitioner brought up in the interview?" given that I am half a part of an inter-racial couple that interviewed at a US Consulate-General.

No my friend... It was far from clear that you were the beneficiary in your post and NOT to say that you do not encounter discrimination considering your in an inter-racial relationship, but I think REALISTICALLY speaking we all know that a white/black inter-racial relationship is a completly different ball game than other races. Historically white/black couples have had the hardest time of all inter-racial couples, "In MY Opinion". And as I said in my last post considering you didn't go through one of the "Most Notorious" Consulates as those that go through Naija, I think it should not be so easy for you to try and voice such an opinion when your experience can not really be counted as you have no personal experience with this Consulate...

I mean this seems to be a Consulate specific question where the OP was asking if THESE are the standards that those who are going through Nigeria are being held to, then shouldn't these be the same standards for "Everyone" across the board.

I'm not saying you dont have a right to your own opinion, I'm only asking that people try and be more mindful when they are replying to posts cause these are real problems we must prepare for... especially if they have NO EXPERIENCE with that Consulate... What happens in India has no bearing on what happens in Nigeria... You can't even begin to compare.

Thanks for your input all the same :)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

No my friend... It was far from clear that you were the beneficiary in your post...Thanks for your input all the same :)

Ah, I thought mentioning the fact that I saw passports being hurled across the room during my F-1 (student) visa was a dead giveaway... Anyway, good luck on your visa journey! Have a nice day. :star:

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Timeline

Ah, I thought mentioning the fact that I saw passports being hurled across the room during my F-1 (student) visa was a dead giveaway... Anyway, good luck on your visa journey! Have a nice day. :star:

Thank you ... Stay Blessed!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

High fraud is high fraud, and I'm sorry to say it but, if going through such a consulate, be prepared to have your relationship scrutinized; and whether stated or not race matters, and it matters at a lot of consulates. When we went through the process we were among the rare bunch that got put through AP in Accra and we thought we had a rock solid case. It may not be written anywhere and it may not be an official "rule" but at the end of the day the CO has to be convinced that you have a real relationship. And yes, you will get that #### of a CO who will say things about your relationship.

I would never condone what the CO said about NigeriaorBust's FIL (I think she knows me better than that), but the system is what it is. With the power given to the CO's its bound to continue happening until something changes.

Unfortunately it is true what you say and all of us having to go through the Nigeria embassy will have to deal with it. I was just at the Embassy in steptember for my passport and people let me tell you it is a humiliating experience. Some of the CO's keep there mikes on you go to the class window and asked your questions and all can hear.

People were laughing and commenting I felt so sorry for the couples. Even the couple who it seemed were in a "scam" marriage as the CO blasted. There's no where to hide and trust me everone in the room will know all your personal business, I mean I know hpw many times folk had sex, talked to relatives, like or dislike their relatives. It was something else.

I know me and my husband will get the scrutiney sionce I am alot older but we are ready because as I stated I asked the CO's (all 4 of them) my questions and got good tips to prepare so Lagos embassy I am ready for you.

Now to get my act together and file now that I am back in America. Phew.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

Unfortunately it is true what you say and all of us having to go through the Nigeria embassy will have to deal with it. I was just at the Embassy in steptember for my passport and people let me tell you it is a humiliating experience. Some of the CO's keep there mikes on you go to the class window and asked your questions and all can hear.

People were laughing and commenting I felt so sorry for the couples. Even the couple who it seemed were in a "scam" marriage as the CO blasted. There's no where to hide and trust me everone in the room will know all your personal business, I mean I know hpw many times folk had sex, talked to relatives, like or dislike their relatives. It was something else.

I know me and my husband will get the scrutiney sionce I am alot older but we are ready because as I stated I asked the CO's (all 4 of them) my questions and got good tips to prepare so Lagos embassy I am ready for you.

Now to get my act together and file now that I am back in America. Phew.

Hello! Wanted to see if you can please share the "Good Tips" you got from the CO's when you spoke to them?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Well we had our Q and A me and 4 officers and I just ask why are so denying so many visas. The lady explained that too many couples are just submitting the basics sp when it comes to the ointerview they feel they need to thoroughly test and go over all evidence previpusly submitted and new stuff.

She said they usually don't ask for too much more at interview because they feel by that point people have been thoroughly educated.

I had told her that I was submitting 370 pages upfront of evidence and told her all I was doing and she said that should be fine. The usual beyond the marriage certificate and pictures which they all agreed too many couples submit more pics than actual evidence like finiancial records, bank staements showing comingling of finances. Credit card statements. She had mentioned too many couples don't bother to start that process and it shows a hesitation. - know my husband isn't here and he is on my apt lease.

Also she said the foreign spouse needs to be able to stand on their opwn without us and they feel we coming to the interview shows they need us. Since its all out in the open. But she says sometimes it warrents it like for us me being so much older they may want to see us together.

All in all she said they are not the enemy and really wants us together but with the high fraud rate they just have to bemore strict. She said if its legit it will happen for us.

Well I hope this helps. Just remember evidence evidence. No such thing as too much. And only you knows what you need to show and prove.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.