TBoneTX

Most Popular Baby Names in (pick your country, si man)

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

See this, see man: http://www.babynamefacts.com/popularnames/countries.php?country=BRS

They also have a link for Ukraine, and for several of the former Soviet states, but not for Russia itself, no man.

Very interesting, and a great way to kill time while surf-Webbing, si man.

How many UB beneficiaries' names are on the most-popular lists, among participants here, huh man?

I don't see "T-Bone" anywhere, no man. :(

Sidebar observation in regard to picking one's country: You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends on the furniture, nose man... er, no man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Russia - (From Elena's models)

Lena (Elena, Alena, Alyona)

Olya (Olga)

Masha (Maria)

Natasha (Natalia, Natalya, Nataliya)

Luda (Ludmila, Liudmila)

Lara (Larisa)

Sveta or Lana (Svetlana)

Liza (Elizaveta, Elisaveta)

Katya (Ekaterina, Yekaterina)

Anya (Anna)

Vika (Viktoria, Victoriya)

Juli (Juliya, Yulia, Julia)

Ira (Irina, Irena, Iryna)

Tanya (Tatiana, Tatyana)

Alka (Alla)

Dasha (Daria, Darya, Dariya)

Zhenya or Jenny (Evgenia / Yevgeniya)

Sasha (Alexandra / Aleksandra)

Valya (Valentina or Valeria)

Rita (Margarita)

Nadya (Nadezhda)

Galya (Galina)

Lina (Angelina or Evangelina or Alina or Adelina)

Lilya (Lilianna or Lilia)

Lika (Angelika)

Polya (Polina)

Nika (Veronika)

Ulya (Uliana / Julianna)

Elya (Eleonora)

Lyuba (Lyubov)

Nastya (Anastasiya)

Zulya (Zulfia)

Vita (Violetta)

Mila (Milena or Ludmila)

Yana (Yanina)

Tina (Alevtina)

Lida (Lidia)

Slava (Miroslava or Svyatoslava)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline
Управление ЗАГС города Москвы опубликовало данные за первое полугодие 2010 года. В столице России родилось 60 050 младенцев, что на 4 576 больше по сравнению с аналогичным периодом прошлого года. При этом мальчиков родилось на 2000 больше, чем девочек.

Самыми популярными именами среди мальчиков являются Александр, Максим, Иван, Артем и Дмитрий. А лидирующие имена среди девочек - Мария, Анастасия, Дарья, Анна и Елизавета. Также по заявлению начальника Управления ЗАГС, Ирины Муравьевой, в этому году появилось много необычных славянских имен, например, Радость, Огнеслав, Еремей Покровитель и Лука-Счастье.

http://www.krokha.ru/news/2010-07-15/samye-populyarnye-imena-detei-v-2010-godu

Names in Russia don't change that much with the fashions. In the 20s etc., they had some crazy names, but not so much since.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Olya (Olga)

Masha (Maria)

Luda (Ludmila, Liudmila)

Lara (Larisa)

Sveta or Lana (Svetlana)

Anya (Anna)

Tanya (Tatiana, Tatyana)

Alka (Alla)

Rita (Margarita)

Nadya (Nadezhda)

Galya (Galina)

Lika (Angelika)

Polya (Polina)

Nika (Veronika)

Ulya (Uliana / Julianna)

Elya (Eleonora)

Lyuba (Lyubov)

Nastya (Anastasiya)

Zulya (Zulfia)

Vita (Violetta)

Mila (Milena or Ludmila)

Yana (Yanina)

Tina (Alevtina)

Lida (Lidia)

Can Lena really be short for Alyona? For a lot of the ones where there are multiple full names in parentheses, they are just multiple Anglifications of the same Russian name (Natalya for example). But Elena and Alyona are different names.

Timeline

Can Lena really be short for Alyona? For a lot of the ones where there are multiple full names in parentheses, they are just multiple Anglifications of the same Russian name (Natalya for example). But Elena and Alyona are different names.

Алёна (от др.-греч. Ἑλένη или др.-греч. ἐλένη факел, светлая, сияющая) — греческое имя, производное от Елена. В последнее время используется и как самостоятельное.

Именины Алён проводятся в тот же день, что и у Елен.

Производные[1]: Алёна, Алёнушка, Алёнка, Алёночка, Аля, Алёся, Алёша, Алёники, Алёнчик.

It comes from Elena, but it seems that now they are counted as different names and you can't use Lena as a short form of Alyona. That Elenas Models list doesn't seem all that accurate--I mean, Juli? Wha? Also, I always thought Yana was just a name on its own??

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

It comes from Elena, but it seems that now they are counted as different names and you can't use Lena as a short form of Alyona. That Elenas Models list doesn't seem all that accurate--I mean, Juli? Wha? Also, I always thought Yana was just a name on its own??

Yana can be a name on its own, but can also be a short variant of Yanina.

I know a Elena, who likes to be called Alyona, so it's a matter of personal taste actually... Although, I think the situation is similar with my name. People keep asking me whether Oxana and Ksenia are different names or the same one. I always say that they are different names, cause i hate to be referred to as a Ksenia :angry: the truth is that Oxana is a Ukrainian variant of the name Ksenia, and what people call you also depends on personal preference.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Timeline

Yana can be a name on its own, but can also be a short variant of Yanina.

I know a Elena, who likes to be called Alyona, so it's a matter of personal taste actually... Although, I think the situation is similar with my name. People keep asking me whether Oxana and Ksenia are different names or the same one. I always say that they are different names, cause i hate to be referred to as a Ksenia :angry: the truth is that Oxana is a Ukrainian variant of the name Ksenia, and what people call you also depends on personal preference.

I've also never heard of the name Yanina; I thought it was just Yana. As far as Ksenya and Oksana, I had never even suspected that they were the same name. I frequently met people with both names and didn't ever hear about people interchanging them. It seems that in Russia the names are separate.

Also, the list lacks my wife's name, Marina, which really isn't that uncommon.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Olya (Olga)

Masha (Maria)

Luda (Ludmila, Liudmila)

Lara (Larisa)

Sveta or Lana (Svetlana)

Anya (Anna)

Tanya (Tatiana, Tatyana)

Alka (Alla)

Rita (Margarita)

Nadya (Nadezhda)

Galya (Galina)

Lika (Angelika)

Polya (Polina)

Nika (Veronika)

Ulya (Uliana / Julianna)

Elya (Eleonora)

Lyuba (Lyubov)

Nastya (Anastasiya)

Zulya (Zulfia)

Vita (Violetta)

Mila (Milena or Ludmila)

Yana (Yanina)

Tina (Alevtina)

Lida (Lidia)

That pretty much covers the popular names. My favorite Russian womens names are Oksana, Anastasia, and Nadya. Sergey's girlfriend is Daria (Dasha) also fairly common. I never referred to Alla as "Alka" she does not like that "short name" I call her "Aloechka" which is a diminutive or sweetheart name (or close friend). Odd that you list gives the short names first, usually I see the names first followed by the familiar, or short, names

In general I think Russian names for women are very beautiful.

No Marina? I know an insane number of Marina's in Moscow.

Oh, and Ksenia is also fairly popular and not on the list.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

The boys names are Pavel and Sergey, though the Ukrainians insist on Pavlo and Sergii. I refer to Pavel as "pasha". Alla calls the boys by her diminutives "Pashinka" or "Pavlik" and Sergey is "Seeloezha" though calling boys of this age and size those names is best left to girlfriends or mothers. I do not because I feel like it would be calling a man named Robert, "little Bobby", best for Mom to do that. :lol:

Gary And Alla

Timeline

http://www.krokha.ru/news/2010-07-15/samye-populyarnye-imena-detei-v-2010-godu

Names in Russia don't change that much with the fashions. In the 20s etc., they had some crazy names, but not so much since.

My MIL is named Raisa which I consider a classic "older" women's name. I do not think it is used so much anymore, I could be wrong but I have met very few women under 50 years old name Raisa

Gary And Alla

Timeline

The boys names are Pavel and Sergey, though the Ukrainians insist on Pavlo and Sergii. I refer to Pavel as "pasha". Alla calls the boys by her diminutives "Pashinka" or "Pavlik" and Sergey is "Seeloezha" though calling boys of this age and size those names is best left to girlfriends or mothers. I do not because I feel like it would be calling a man named Robert, "little Bobby", best for Mom to do that. :lol:

There are various diminutives and they mean different things. Pashinka is best left to Moms and girlfriends and Pavlik is probably a little boy but some of the diminutives are more like Rob, Bill, or Tom. It's something you have to be careful with. If you are friends with a guy named Andrey, it's fine to call him Andryukha but Andryusha is what his girlfriend probably calls him.

Are you sure that she calls him Selozha and not Seryozha? Seryozha is actually almost okay but if you want to be a little more manly calling him Seryoga would be safer.

My MIL is named Raisa which I consider a classic "older" women's name. I do not think it is used so much anymore, I could be wrong but I have met very few women under 50 years old name Raisa

Yeah, Raisa is definitely an old lady name.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Really easy in our house: we just call each other "Cariño" ("sweetheart"), si man. Nicknames can be standard and logical (e.g., "Mari" for Maria, or "Cris" for Cristina) or completely illogical ("Pancho" or "Paco" for Francisco, or "Lacho" for Horacio, or "Chuy" for Jesus). Girls named Maria de Jesus are always called Marichuy, si man.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Seryozha isn't "little boy" at all. I have a friend Andrei and we all call him Andrusha and not Andrukha. Whether you call someone a diminuitive with "kh" or "sh" tends to be personal preference of the person you're addressing and not that one is manlier. If you are good friends with someone, you can get quite affectionate. I have guy friends who call one another pupsik.

Первый блин комом.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.