sarah and hicham

stress for K1 Visa

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My fiance Hicham is not optimistic at all for getting his visa. I have just filed the I-129F and usually everytime we talk he makes comments about how he probably won't be approved and that he probably won't get to come to the US etc. I just try to reassure him that we did all of the necessary paperwork and that we just have to wait, but I have no idea if we will get approved or not so it's hard to reassure him when I really can't say that it will be approved. Has anyone else had a similar experience or what should I say to him when he is always upset and stressed about getting a visa. I'm stressed too!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

There's no getting around it - the process IS stressful.

Maybe you would both feel better if you made a "backup plan", in case the K1 doesn't come through for whatever reason. It might make him feel better if, for example, you tell him that if the K1 doesn't work, you can always get married in Morocco and apply as married for an immigrant visa.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Sarah,

I am sure there are people there telling him he won't get it. My Hicham experienced that. There are so many misconceptions there about it and confusion with the Diversity Visa.

I agree having a back up plan will make you both feel better. We had stated if he didn't get the visa, I would move there. So...we knew we would be together, but prayed so much that he would come to the States (because I would miss my family way too much).

Twila

OUR VISA JOURNEY

02/24/05 - Mailed K-1 to TSC

03/18/05 - K-1 Approval from CSC

06/16/05 - K-1 Interview in Casablanca, Morocco

06/29/05 - K-1 Visa issued

07/07/05 - SO arrives in US

07/22/05 - Married in religious ceremony and reception with family & friends

07/25/05 - Married in civil ceremony

09/14/05 - Mailed AOS/EAD

12/28/05 - AOS/EAD biometrics in West Palm Beach

01/03/06 - EAD card arrives

03/08/06 - AOS interview and AOS approval in West Palm Beach

03/13/06 - Welcome to America letter arrives

03/18/06 - Green card arrives in mail

12/10/07 - I-751 mailed to TSC

12/26/07 - NOA receipt date (from transfer to VSC)

02/14/08 - Biometrics appointment

10/17/08 - Approval date

10/24/08 - Approval letter received

10/25/08 - 10 year green card arrived

10/06/09 - N-400 mailed to Texas Lockbox

10/08/09 - NOA priority date

11/06/09 - Biometrics

01/04/10 - Interview

01/13/10 - Oath Ceremony

Bx82m5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I agree with the ladies on a backup plan. We have one but really wish to stay in USA since I have a child with health issues. It did make him feel better that I would not just walk away from our marriage if we did not get the visa. I will tell you it is rollercoaster ride and for the ME/Asian's we seem to have more hurdles to get thru. Try and stay positive, work on backup plan and always try and ease the tensions while you are talking together and try and take the process one day at a time. Good luck.

Mary

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

I agree with what the others have said but also it helped us a lot as I did research into this whole visa thing to explain (several times) to Adnan that this K1 thing is TOTALLY different than other visas. I think everyone in morocco knows someone who knows someone who has been denied a US visa, but usually those are either tourist or diversity visas. Share with him as many of the VJ success stories that you can and make sure he knows very clearly that the visa you are applying for is not at all the same as the others. and again as you learn things keep him updated. Adnan was a lot less stressed when had a good idea of what to expect at every step in the process. We can all help you here.

good luck

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I also agree with everyone else. It is good to have a backup plan in the event you are denied or something goes wrong. Not only does this help in terms of having plan B but it also helps ease the stress a little on his end...to know what you can/will do in the event of.

He is being told about many visas being denied in Morocco, and yes there are many who are...but, we can never really know details of all of these cases going through Morocco. Trying to compare your case with others is like comparing Gala; Fuji; Braeburn and Cameo red apples...there are hundreds of varieties. On the surface they look the same, until you bite into one and actually taste it...they are very different underneath.

Honestly, we never in a million years thought we would be faced with the issue of our file being returned to the US for review. While we also researched our best options, there was no plan B in the event the K1 was denied. I believe that most of the stress was more on my end until he received the packet and interview date...then the tables turned and he was the one running around instead. I remember his saying when he got the package I sent him of all of our papers..."Oh my gosh, you had so much to do love. I am sorry, I am looking at all these papers...WOW, I HATE papers more."

We do have a plan now, but it sure would have been smarter to plan for what happened to us before it actually happened...I would have been at the consulate during his interview for one. Not quite sure if it would have made a difference, but my mind refuses to let me forget that mistake.

(F) ~Kiya~ (F)

~ Returns & Refusals...What They Don't Tell You ~

DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney, all information provided is from years of research and personal experiences of those affected by returned visa petitions/applications. If this is happening to you, my personal advice is to research the facts, hire a good immigration lawyer who can demonstrate they specialize in returned/denied visa petitions and applications.

~ Faith, Patience, Perseverance ~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
I also agree with everyone else. It is good to have a backup plan in the event you are denied or something goes wrong. Not only does this help in terms of having plan B but it also helps ease the stress a little on his end...to know what you can/will do in the event of.

He is being told about many visas being denied in Morocco, and yes there are many who are...but, we can never really know details of all of these cases going through Morocco. Trying to compare your case with others is like comparing Gala; Fuji; Braeburn and Cameo red apples...there are hundreds of varieties. On the surface they look the same, until you bite into one and actually taste it...they are very different underneath.

Honestly, we never in a million years thought we would be faced with the issue of our file being returned to the US for review. While we also researched our best options, there was no plan B in the event the K1 was denied. I believe that most of the stress was more on my end until he received the packet and interview date...then the tables turned and he was the one running around instead. I remember his saying when he got the package I sent him of all of our papers..."Oh my gosh, you had so much to do love. I am sorry, I am looking at all these papers...WOW, I HATE papers more."

We do have a plan now, but it sure would have been smarter to plan for what happened to us before it actually happened...I would have been at the consulate during his interview for one. Not quite sure if it would have made a difference, but my mind refuses to let me forget that mistake.

(F) ~Kiya~ (F)

Ali and I did discuss what would happen if the visa was denied, and no matter what it's not the end of the world, sometimes you just have to change your plans. As far as Casa and the entire immigration process a lot of it is just luck of the draw. The best thing you can do is try to have all of your information and evidence prepared, prepare for the interview and have a back up plan in case things go wrong. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do at the consulate, they operate at their own discretion. If for whatever reason your visa is denied you always have other options including an appeal, K3, or DCF, as well as just moving there if that is an option for you. Both Kiya and I are going through this right now, Kiya is appealing and I am moving there and doing DCF. At most for the two of you, if you were denied, it would be a setback, not the end of the journey. All either of you can do right now is relax, hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Timeline

Just a little clarification. I am not appealing...our case will be reviewed here in the United States. If approved again, we will get another interview date...insh'allah.

If we are officially denied we still have the K3 option. We are just choosing to wait through the process of review instead of nullifying the K1 by getting married and filing the K3. We still have a good chance at approval here in the United States...our proof of relationship is so strong.

If we were actually officially denied in January, I would not be sitting on my bum waiting for word from the USCIS. I would be getting married in Morocco when I go next month and filing the K3 visa upon return to the US.

The appeal process is extremely lengthy (years...yes, plural) and not always an option for every petition...most likely not an option for the K1 at all. Also, from what I hear appeals do not always go well...you have to appeal to the AAU in Washington DC and only get 15 minutes to appeal your case...most are not successful.

I wish you luck mawelvan, insh'allah everything will work out for you both. I'm still jealous...you are going sooner than me and get to stay much longer! :P

Did you register through the Moroccan consulate that you are moving there? This would expedite you getting a resident card which is a requirement for DCF...it would also keep you from having to leave the country and come back just to stay for a prolonged period of time.

(F) ~Kiya~ (F)

~ Returns & Refusals...What They Don't Tell You ~

DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney, all information provided is from years of research and personal experiences of those affected by returned visa petitions/applications. If this is happening to you, my personal advice is to research the facts, hire a good immigration lawyer who can demonstrate they specialize in returned/denied visa petitions and applications.

~ Faith, Patience, Perseverance ~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Just a little clarification. I am not appealing...our case will be reviewed here in the United States. If approved again, we will get another interview date...insh'allah.

If we are officially denied we still have the K3 option. We are just choosing to wait through the process of review instead of nullifying the K1 by getting married and filing the K3. We still have a good chance at approval here in the United States...our proof of relationship is so strong.

If we were actually officially denied in January, I would not be sitting on my bum waiting for word from the USCIS. I would be getting married in Morocco when I go next month and filing the K3 visa upon return to the US.

The appeal process is extremely lengthy (years...yes, plural) and not always an option for every petition...most likely not an option for the K1 at all. Also, from what I hear appeals do not always go well...you have to appeal to the AAU in Washington DC and only get 15 minutes to appeal your case...most are not successful.

I wish you luck mawelvan, insh'allah everything will work out for you both. I'm still jealous...you are going sooner than me and get to stay much longer! :P

Did you register through the Moroccan consulate that you are moving there? This would expedite you getting a resident card which is a requirement for DCF...it would also keep you from having to leave the country and come back just to stay for a prolonged period of time.

(F) ~Kiya~ (F)

Actually one of his brothers here knows some people, so the resident card has been taken care of, I really don't have to do to much in that area, basically I should have the card not too long after I get there. All I need to do is bring the papers from here with me for the wedding. Sorry I was using the same terminology that my lawyer used without clarifying. Basically mine went back the same as yours but we aren't so patient. Actually when I was talking to Ali this morning he is in thrilled that I will be there soon, we are both just pretty much sick of waiting, of having to deal with the consulate and such. I can't wait.... :wub:

Timeline

Sarah, basically all you can do is fill out your paperwork and send it off with a prayer. There is no guarantee but hopefully yours will be approved and his interview will be a success. All you can do is reassure him that it will work out but just in case, as the others state, have other plans in mind. I think many people don't want to hope too much and might say something won't work so they are not hurt if that happens. Just keep praying and hopefully your wait won't be too long. Then at his interview have him present everything they need and wish for the best.

Doreen :D

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SupportingMoroccanLove/

6/14/03 Met Online

9/30/2003 He was denied a Tourist Visa

1/7/2004 Sent 1-129F-tried to prove hardship; many reasons

8/8/2004 Petition denied

After 214 Days of waiting

10/11/2004 Returned from Morocco even more in love.

11/15/2004 Mailed I-129F off to Nebraska

2/11/05 APPROVAL

2/14/05 EMAIL, OUR PETITION HAS BEEN APPROVED

86 Days what an awesome feeling

2/25/05 Email received from nvc, given case number

3/21/05 Email from consulate

b]INTERVIEW DATE 5/10/05[/b]

3/31/05 Fiance finally receives his packet from the consulate

4/12/05 He had medical exam

5/10/05 INTERVIEW WAS A SUCCESS

5/18/05 VISA IN HAND

Took 214 Days for a denial, but IN 205 days He will be HOME

6/10/05 Abdou arrives in America, what a happy day!

6/13/05 Applied for SSN

6/23/05 6 p.m. We were MARRIED; honeymoon in Gatlinburg

8/13/05 AOS and EAD paperwork mailed

8/25/05 NOAs in the mail!!! Yea!

11/25/05 - BIOMETRIC DATE

01/26/06 - AOS SUCCESSFUL INTERVIEW AND HE GETS HIS FIRST JOB AT FIRST JOB INTERVIEW

02/13/06 - GREEN CARD ARRIVED

4/22/06 - Driver's License!!

11/05/2007 Filed to Lift conditions[/color]

11/07/07 - NOA1 received

12/21/07 - Biometrics completed

04/08/08 - 10 YEAR CARD APPROVED

04/14/08 - CARD IN HAND !!!!!

11/3/08 - Filed for Citizenship

11/29/08 - Biometric Appointment

02/03/09 - Citizenship Interview, HE PASSED

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.