kevest

blue question

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

we got blue unfortunately :( and on the slip they request additional documents.. so here's my question, they told my husband to drop it off at window B between 1-2pm, but god knows how long it will take them to review the case, so is there any way that my husband can meet the CO again? if not, i was wondering how you guys submit the requested documents early and give it to the CO by person..please advice!!! thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Well sorry to hear that you got a blue. So what happened at the interview? I know your interview in on August 8. What additional evidence did they need? Well usually they give you a date to turn in additional evidence but I heard that you can just turn it in early if you have it ready. Saves some time. Tell us what happened at the interview, share it with us.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Marriage (if applicable): 2010-07-09

I-130 Sent : 2011-01-28

I-130 NOA1 : 2011-02-07

I-130 Approved : 2011-05-17

NVC Received : 2011-05-31

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2011-06-06

Pay I-864 Bill: 2011-06-06

Receive I-864 Package :

Return Completed I-864 : 2011-06-16

Return Completed DS-3032(emailed) : 2011-06-04

Receive IV Bill : 2011-06-10

Pay IV Bill : 2011-06-10

Receive Instruction Package :

Case Completed at NVC : 2011-07-25

Interview Date : 2011-09-14

Interview Result : Passed/Pink

Timeline

Well sorry to hear that you got a blue. So what happened at the interview? I know your interview in on August 8. What additional evidence did they need? Well usually they give you a date to turn in additional evidence but I heard that you can just turn it in early if you have it ready. Saves some time. Tell us what happened at the interview, share it with us.

It was a white lady who conducted the interview, standard questions were asked, our wedding dates, DOB, name of our son, etc, my husband answered them in english. The CO didnt ask to see our timeline, 10 yr residency, chat logs, nothing except a few pictures of our wedding. And out of the blue, she handed back my husband's passport and gave him a blue slip requesting the IRS transcripts, so my husband told her he got the official transcript of my parents and the signed I864 and I864A with him( my parents are co sponsor) ,CO said she needed my tax return instead, and my husband explained i didnt start working until April 2011, and never in my life had other jobs, and CO said no, she has to file tax return, even student has to do that, my husband was like #######, but he explained politely again, this was her first job, she started April, according to IRS, ppl under certain income do not file tax return and he reminded her april 15 is the deadline for filing tax return anyway.... and then the CO was like oh well you need to tell your wife to have a written statement declaring she did not file tax return and explained the situation that her parents were the co sponsors., my husband asked her a couple more questions regarding the additional documents, CO kept repeating just read the blue slip.... however, the stuff she told my husband to submit are not on the blue slip,! blue slip only says IRS transcripts.....conclusion? CO was being an #### !

So basically that's the story, honestly we were pissed off,the CO was trying to make excuses to stall his visa! i mean how the heck she wouldnt know anything about the tax return issue?!

anyway back to my question, should my husband just drop off the documents at window B? but according to wt i read, he wont be given a receipt, so how could we track the process? is there any way my husband can get in the consulate and submit it to the CO? please advice!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

As was asked already, is there a date on the blue slip to resubmit? It is uncommon for there not to be a resubmit date...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

As was asked already, is there a date on the blue slip to resubmit? It is uncommon for there not to be a resubmit date...

yes sept 12, but i heard from other VJ members that u can submit the documents early?

Timeline

sorry to hear that, hopefully it will be straightened out soon.

but, maybe other vj members can explain, if the joint sponsors are the ones with the income, why does the co ask of the tax transcript of the petitioner?

To show that she needs a cosponsor in the first place and the CO was right. Even students need to file a return even if you don't have to pay taxes.

Timeline

To show that she needs a cosponsor in the first place and the CO was right. Even students need to file a return even if you don't have to pay taxes.

according to IRS, You must file a federal income tax return if your income is above a certain level; which varies depending on your filing status, age and the type of income you receive.

im on my parent's tax return as a dependent, plus this april job is my first ever job taken...so i was excluded to file a tax return for yr 2010

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Kevest,

This may be a dumb question but why didn't you submit a letter explaining why you did't file a tax return

when clearly the instruction say to include the recent tax return with the submittal? The CO has to document your income with paperwork.

How would the CO do this without concrete evidence like a letter or so form of paperwork?

Did you include an employer letter stating what you make?

I am just surprise you got through NVC.

Filed: Timeline

i think it's a good idea to file regardless, but it is not necessarily required of everyone working, it depends on the situation. IRS has a guideline as to whether or not you must file a return. of course, if you are entitled to a refund, you would not get one without filing.

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96623,00.html

Timeline

Kevest,

This may be a dumb question but why didn't you submit a letter explaining why you did't file a tax return

when clearly the instruction say to include the recent tax return with the submittal? The CO has to document your income with paperwork.

How would the CO do this without concrete evidence like a letter or so form of paperwork?

Did you include an employer letter stating what you make?

I am just surprise you got through NVC.

yes i included the employment letter and submitted to the CO

and like i said i do not need to file a tax return for yr 2010, I called H&R block to double check before

and yes i will write a letter explaining the situation and resubmit it to the consulate. thanks

Edited by kevest

Timeline

One week before the submission date my wife asked if she could turn it in early and they said yes. You can turn it in early if they accept it. Could also be a 50/50 chance who is at the window working.

appreciate ur info

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

yes sept 12, but i heard from other VJ members that u can submit the documents early?

You can submit them early, but if they are busy that day, they dont have to look at them... make a copy of the blue and use that to get in if the docs are submitted early.. that way you can get in on sept 12 if they delay things.

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have filled out tax returns for my children in the past, not because there income was so high but because of the income source. (Investments).

One year there was no income. I started to file a return just to keep a continuous record and after closer reading of the guidelines I did not.

It appeared if you had no income and were not entitled to any kind of refund or credit. You could be charged with filing a frivolous tax return and be fined or jailed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.