ESunlin

Marrying Overseas

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone,

I've been reading these forums for information, and finally have one that I can't seem to find elsewhere on the site.

I am a US citizen, and I am marrying a Dutch citizen. We want to get married in Holland, but I can't see to find ANYTHING on what paperwork I need to do to have it legal and valid there AND here.

Any suggestions/help?

Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

My Swedish husband & I married in Gibraltar, UK. We ordered extra copies of the marriage certificate, and we made sure to pay extra for the "appostile" stamp on the back that makes it a legal document in the USA.

Here in the USA, I foudn that nobody really seems to care about people being married or not. That is to say, I went to each governement agency (Social Security, Country Recorder, etc.).

Social Security photocopied it b/c now I don't qualify for survivor benefits anymore (widowed in 2008).

County Record told me they don't do anything with that kind of information.

At least in California, there are no true vital statitstics. Births & Deaths & Marriages are recorded only in the county in which they take place. The State has no record of any of it.

You will like need teh appostile, however, for real estate transactions, tax issues, loans, bank accounts, credit cards, etc.. So be sure to get a few appostile copies. You keep a few to take to USA (you will need at least one to send to NVC). You might even get one translated to english if needed. Then the Dutch citizen needs one to register the marriage with the tax authority or population registry people there.

So - the Swedish government knows we are married, but the USA doesn't know. Doesn't care, until some kind of event, and then I have to find that piece of paper. crazy, but true.

:) Best wishes,

M.

IR-1/CR-1 Spouse CA Svc Ctr 2011 (82 days) Apr07: NOA1. Jun27: NOA2 text.
Delivery from USCIS to NVC (24 days) Jul21: CSC mailed it to NVC

NVC (43 days)
Jul25: "in the NVC bldg"---->Jul26: NVC Case#,IIN# (1 day in-house, 29 days since NOA2)

AOS i-864.....Jul28: bill rcv'd (2 days)& paid ---->Aug01: "paid"/mailed (4 days). Aug3: AOS in the bldg
Aug 11: phone rep "AOS RFE: 23/24a: no blanks" (pdf won't print n/a"). Fedex'd new copy (arrived Aug 12)
Aug 22: AOS approved

IV ds-230:
Jul26: send DS-3032 ----> Jul29: DS-3032 accepted (3 days)
Aug01: bill rcv'd (2 days)& paid ---->Aug02: "paid"/mailed (1 day)
Aug04:ds-230 delivered ---> Aug 12: "under review"
Aug 15: phone rep "RFE:ds-230 #30." (16th bdate left as "----") Fedex'd new copy (arrived Aug 16)
Aug 30: phone rep: "no military record." me: "it's there!" rep: "15 biz days starting today"
Sep 06: phone rep: "needs review. 15 MORE biz days" me: "no way" Supervisor asks Mgr "open file & verify it's complete since 8/16." 6 hours later: CASE CLOSED!

Consulate
Sep 13: INTERVIEW scheduled, email letter arrived
Sep 15: MEDICAL in Stockholm
Sep 23: Packet Left NVC -> Embassy
Oct 31: INTERVIEW 4-minutes and DONE. APPROVED. Visa is "in the mail"

Nov 27: arrival in USA

DIVORCE: final May 2015 - never whould have married without dating in-person for at least a year.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I've been reading these forums for information, and finally have one that I can't seem to find elsewhere on the site.

I am a US citizen, and I am marrying a Dutch citizen. We want to get married in Holland, but I can't see to find ANYTHING on what paperwork I need to do to have it legal and valid there AND here.

Any suggestions/help?

Thanks!

US automatically recognizes legal marriages in almost all the countries of the world. If you are legal in Holland, you are legal here

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Georgia
Timeline

From what I understand after going through this process is that a marriage performed in another country is valid in the US as long as it does not violate any US laws (Ex.. marrying more than one person or something). I was married in the Republic of Georgia and we had to have our marriage license notorized/recorded, apostilled, translated, and notorized again.

You do NOT have to register the marriage in the state/city/county that you live in when you return to the US.

The Netherlands, including Aruba, Curacao, Holland, and Netherland Antilles are all part of the Hague Convention. The Hague Convention is a treaty that allows other countries to "Apostille" the documents... essentially verifying the authenticity and certifying them as true and valid. This then makes them acceptable in the USA. Be preparred to pay through the nose to have all of your documents apostilled and notorized!!!

02/06/2011 ~ MARRIED IN REPUBLIC OF GEORGIA

03/31/2011 ~ FILED I-130 & G325A (SENT TO CHICAGO LOCKBOX VIA UPS)

04/09/2011 ~ RECEIVED NOA1 IN MAIL :-)

07/11/2011 ~ APPROVED WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!!

07/29/2011 ~ NVC RECEIVED CASE

08/22/2011 ~ RECEIVED NVC CASE# AND IIN

08/24/2011 ~ EMAILED DS-3032 SENT VIA HUBBYS EMAIL ACCOUNT

08/25/2011 ~ RECEIVED 3 EMAILS FROM NVC

08/25/2011 ~ PAID AOS FEE $88.00

08/26/2011 ~ AOS FEE SHOWS "PAID" - RECEIPT PRINTED AND READY TO MAIL

08/30/2011 ~ AOS PACKAGE SENT FEDEX OVERNIGHT

09/01/2011 ~ IV BILL INVOICED AND PAID

09/06/2011 ~ AOS PACKAGE APPROVED

09/09/2011 ~ IV PACKAGE SENT TO NVC VIA FEDEX OVERNIGHT

09/15/2011 ~ CASE CLOSED

INTERVIEW DATE ~ 11/30/2011 - APPROVED

12/04/2011 ~ ENTERED USA THROUGH JFK AIRPORT

STILL WAITING FOR GREEN CARD......

Timeline

BTW:

BEFORE the Gibraltar Marriage Authority would issue marriage license, I had to do get a "record of no record" from the local county recorder office in order to prove to the UK that I was free to marry. I had to supply an original marriage and death certificate from 1st marriage as well. And my original birth certificate.

They call it "proving there are no impediments to marry."

Swedish husband had to simply get an official original "extract from Population Register" because it serves as the birth certificate and shows the marital status. Maybe The Netherlands has a similar registry?

NVC (43 days)
Jul25: "in the NVC bldg"---->Jul26: NVC Case#,IIN# (1 day in-house, 29 days since NOA2)

AOS i-864.....Jul28: bill rcv'd (2 days)& paid ---->Aug01: "paid"/mailed (4 days). Aug3: AOS in the bldg
Aug 11: phone rep "AOS RFE: 23/24a: no blanks" (pdf won't print n/a"). Fedex'd new copy (arrived Aug 12)

IV ds-230:
Aug 15: phone rep "RFE:ds-230 #30." (16th bdate left as "----") Fedex'd new copy (arrived Aug 16)
Aug 30: phone rep: "no military record." me: "it's there!" rep: "15 biz days starting today"
Sep 06: phone rep: "needs review. 15 MORE biz days" me: "no way" Supervisor asks Mgr "open file & verify it's complete since 8/16." 6 hours later: CASE CLOSED!

Consulate

DIVORCE: final May 2015 - never whould have married without dating in-person for at least a year.

Filed: Timeline

Wow- thanks guys for the fast replies!

So, what I am getting out of this is that I need to follow the Dutch laws for getting married, have everything notarized and apostilled (several copies), and that's it?

Neither of us has been married before- so do we need proof that we are legal to marry? I can't think that we do, but I want to check.

What should we expect to pay to have things notarized and apostilled (since you say it is a lot)?

Timeline

Wow- thanks guys for the fast replies!

So, what I am getting out of this is that I need to follow the Dutch laws for getting married, have everything notarized and apostilled (several copies), and that's it?

Neither of us has been married before- so do we need proof that we are legal to marry? I can't think that we do, but I want to check.

What should we expect to pay to have things notarized and apostilled (since you say it is a lot)?

the Dutch marriage authority can give you a quote - just send them an email. They likely have a website with all the info there.

To show "no impediments", go to your USA county recorder office and have them issue you a certificate that serves as a "record of no record" - it is a signed document that shows they serached for record of you being married, and they found none.

Fees for appostile.. I cannot even remember... it was something like $20... $40... something around there. But that fee woudl be on dutch website re: marriage licences and certificates.

:)

M.

NVC (43 days)

IV ds-230:

Consulate

Timeline

info on marrying in the netherlandslots of sources on the web

see if you can find a municipal website for the info and forms.

Note: you probably have to show up at least 14 days ahead of marriage in order to file the license and have it approved. I know in Sweden the wait would have been 2.5 weeks.

NVC (43 days)

IV ds-230:

Consulate

Timeline

dutch foreign affairs - marriage

better link - this is the ministry of foreign affairs.

"google is your friend"

NVC (43 days)

IV ds-230:

Consulate

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.