RussJ

Can I apply for U.S Passport without CoC

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Both my parents are U.S Citizens by Naturalization.

The both got Naturalized when I was 10 years old. But forgot to apply for my Citizenship.

I am now over the age of 18 (22).

Do I still have to send a N600 or N400 application? Or can I simply apply for a U.S Passport.

Thanks for any help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The both got Naturalized when I was 10 years old. But forgot to apply for my Citizenship.

Do I still have to send a N600 or N400 application? Or can I simply apply for a U.S Passport.

Thanks for any help.

Do you have a born in the USA birth certificate? If not, did you have a green card?

Were you born in the US? If you were, you are are a US citizen and can apply for a US passport using your birth certificate. If not, do you have a green card? If you do, then you must apply to get your US Citizenship. Once you have your Naturalization Certificate, then you can apply for a US passport.

Edited by dindo and patty

Philippians 4:13...I can do all things through Christ who strengthens meGC Received: 02/04/2012

Useful Links for K-1 Visa Petition for USEM Philippines:

Packet 3 for K-1: http://photos.state....3__rtf2_001.pdf

St Luke's Website: http://www.slec.ph/u...ml#clinic-hours

Link to Schedule Interview: http://cgifederal.force.com/

CFO Website for Seminar: http://www.cfo.gov.p...onals&catid=140

Povery Guideline: http://www.uscis.gov...form/i-864p.pdf

Website to Download DS 156, 156K, & 157: http://travel.state....forms_1342.html

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for any help.

Generally, US passports are only for US citizens.

You need to determine whether or not you are already a US citizen. Before the age of 18 AND after Feb. 27, 2001, were you living with a US citizen parent when you were a legal permanent resident (green card holder)? If yes, then you are automatically a US citizen under the Child Citizenship Act.

If you are a US citizen, you can simply apply for a US passport. You must provide all the documents that proves you meet the requirements of the CCA before a US passport can be issued to you.

If you are a US citizen, you can file for the Certificate of Citizenship with Form N-600. This is optional and not a requirement for a US passport. It would make your life easier to have it as proof of US citizenship. It's worth the $600.

If you are not a US citizen, then you will have to go through the naturalization process starting with Form N-400. If you meet all the requirements, then you will be a US citizen. As a US citizen, you can file for a US passport.

Filed: Other Timeline

Thanks for any help.

I assume you live in the United States and have entered the United States "with inspection," meaning with a visa, and most likely have a Green Card?

If that's the case, then you did automatically become a US citizen the moment your first parent naturalized. Your parents did not have to apply for your citizenship as it was an automatic process.

Although many people would advise you to file an N-600, I'm a strong advocate against it as it's a waste of 6 hard-earned $100 bills. The Certificate of Citizenship you would get for your money has only one primary purpose: to get you your first US passport. After you have received it, your passport serves as proof of US citizenship and the Certificate goes into the bank safe as a worst case scenario backup document.

You can apply for a US passport by going to the passport office with your parent, either one of them. Your parent needs to bring the original Certificate of Naturalization and a second photo ID; you'll have to bring the filled out form, 1 passport photo, money, your Green Card, and your birth certificate in order to prove that you are your parent's child.

That's it.

Just for your information: your parent or parents could have done that when applying for their passport. That way they would not have to send the Certificate of Naturalization out again. Oh well . . .

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

I assume you live in the United States and have entered the United States "with inspection," meaning with a visa, and most likely have a Green Card?

If that's the case, then you did automatically become a US citizen the moment your first parent naturalized. Your parents did not have to apply for your citizenship as it was an automatic process.

Although many people would advise you to file an N-600, I'm a strong advocate against it as it's a waste of 6 hard-earned $100 bills. The Certificate of Citizenship you would get for your money has only one primary purpose: to get you your first US passport. After you have received it, your passport serves as proof of US citizenship and the Certificate goes into the bank safe as a worst case scenario backup document.

You can apply for a US passport by going to the passport office with your parent, either one of them. Your parent needs to bring the original Certificate of Naturalization and a second photo ID; you'll have to bring the filled out form, 1 passport photo, money, your Green Card, and your birth certificate in order to prove that you are your parent's child.

That's it.

Just for your information: your parent or parents could have done that when applying for their passport. That way they would not have to send the Certificate of Naturalization out again. Oh well . . .

Thanks for all the responses.

Yes I have a green card, Philippine passport, CA ID, birth certificate. I was born outside of the U.S.

Another question I have is the Child Citizen Act of 2000. Effective 02/27/2001.

I have an older brother that needs a U.S Passport also. He was born March of 1982. Which made him just over 18 when the CCA became effective.

Does that mean he needs to fill out N400 (or N600)? Or can he go through the same process as me.

Thanks for all the responses.

Yes I have a green card, Philippine passport, CA ID, birth certificate. I was born outside of the U.S.

Another question I have is the Child Citizen Act of 2000. Effective 02/27/2001.

I have an older brother that needs a U.S Passport also. He was born March of 1982. Which made him just over 18 when the CCA became effective.

Does that mean he needs to fill out N400 (or N600)? Or can he go through the same process as me.

If he meets all the criteria of the CCA, then he is automatically a US citizen. He has the option to file for the N-600 and/or a US passport. He is not required to get either, but having one or both to evidence US citizenship is a good idea.

Your brother meets the criteria if between 2/27/2001 and his 18th birthday, he was an LPR living with a US citizen parent. If he does not meet the criteria for the CCA, he is not a US citizen and will have to go through the naturalization process by filing Form N-400.

If he was over 18 years old on 2/27/2001, then he cannot take advantage of the CCA. Research the law for citizenship before this date on your own if you are interested, I am too busy to do it for you.

Edited by Jojo92122

Timeline

If he meets all the criteria of the CCA, then he is automatically a US citizen. He has the option to file for the N-600 and/or a US passport. He is not required to get either, but having one or both to evidence US citizenship is a good idea.

Your brother meets the criteria if between 2/27/2001 and his 18th birthday, he was an LPR living with a US citizen parent. If he does not meet the criteria for the CCA, he is not a US citizen and will have to go through the naturalization process by filing Form N-400.

If he was over 18 years old on 2/27/2001, then he cannot take advantage of the CCA. Research the law for citizenship before this date on your own if you are interested, I am too busy to do it for you.

As I stated above he was born 03/1982, which made him exactly 18yrs 11months in 2/27/2001.

Edited by RussJ

As I stated above he was born 03/1982, which made him exactly 18yrs 11months in 2/27/2001.

Read the last sentence of my post to which you replied.

Edited by Jojo92122

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.