noremac

A Few K1 Questions

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi all,

My name is Cameron I'm from Australia and Ive been reading the forum for a few months now and have found a wealth of information here, although I have a few questions I would like some answers to. But first I will explain our situation.

I met my fiance online about 8years ago, it all started as just two friends talking over instant msgs services and thats all it ever was for years, then it somehow turned into more. I went a visited her and asked her to marry me obviously that worked out, I have been to visit her about 7 times over the last 9months or so. We sent the first round of papper work in early May 2011 and recieved the NOA1 a couple of weeks later, we are expecting NOA2 in a month or so(judging by other peoples time lines). Also we just found out she is pregnant this has added some urgency to the situation...lol..

ok the questions.

1) my fiance is a college student so we are going to have to use her father for the AOS he has a stable job and steady income.. anyone see any issues with this?

2) does the AOS have to be a USA citizen/resident?

3) can someone explain what happens after we recieve the NOA2?

4) as most of the time ive know my fiance has been soley based over the internet we dont have much in the way of records of communication from years gone by, although we do have some recent emails and phone records from the last couple of years. will it be a problem not having the early stuff?

4) I am aware that I need to have a medical done. can it be done at any stage or does it have to been done right before my interview?

5) Any advice for the next steps?

thanks cameron.

K1 Timeline:

30/05/11 I-129F Sent

06/06/11 NOA1 Recieved

15/07/11 Filed for Police Certificate

16/09/11 NOA2 Recieved

28/09/11 NVC Sent application to Sydney Consulate

06/10/11 Received Packet 3 from Sydney Consulate

30/10/11 Medical Exam

30/10/11 Sent Packet 3

15/11/11 Received Packet 4

29/11/11 Interview/Approval

09/12/11 Visa in hand

10/12/11 POE, LAX

16/12/11 Married

AOS Timeline

02/01/12 Sent AOS Packet

06/01/12 NOA1

13/01/12 Biometrics Appt Notice

17/01/12 Biometrics Walk-in

29/02/12 EAD/AP Aprroved, Card Production Ordered

01/03/12 Request for 'Green Card' interview

09/03/12 EAP/AP Combo Card In Hand

04/04/12 Perminant Residency interview

05/04/12 Perminant Residency approval via mail

02/05/12 Green Card In Hand

This process took us about year, it was very stressfull at times but well worth it.

(dates AUS format)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

1) my fiance is a college student so we are going to have to use her father for the AOS he has a stable job and steady income.. anyone see any issues with this?

4) as most of the time ive know my fiance has been soley based over the internet we dont have much in the way of records of communication from years gone by, although we do have some recent emails and phone records from the last couple of years. will it be a problem not having the early stuff?

4) I am aware that I need to have a medical done. can it be done at any stage or does it have to been done right before my interview?

1) I assume you mean her father will co-sponsor on the affidavit of support. This is not a problem as long as he makes at least 125% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines for a household of 3 (unless he has other dependents as well) or $23,162.

2) The co-sponsor may be any US citizen, US National or Lawful Permanent Resident who lives in the US, its territories or possessions. HOWEVER, some consulates REQUIRE that the co-sponsor be an immediate family member of the petitioner.

3) Recommend that you read the guides for this one.

4) Consulate needs to determine if the relationship is bona fide today. Evidence of a relationship from 8 years ago is less relevant than more recent evidence. Evidence from the last 2 years will be the most important. It won't hurt to bring some photos from earlier years if you have them.

4b) The medical needs to be done within a certain time before the interview. The embassy will send you a packet of information including what you need for the medical. Some embassies require that results be sent directly from the doctor. So don't do this until you are instructed.

5) Keep reading this site! You're almost there!

"A man who lives within his means, suffers from a lack of imagination"

~Oscar Wilde

Timeline:

07/18/2011 - Mailed I-129F Petition

07/21/2011 - NOA1

10/18/2011 - NOA2

11/14/2011 - Packet 3 Received

02/14/2012 - Interview (3 months?!?!)

03/02/2012 - Passport w/ K1 received!

03/03/2012 - WHAT'S TAKING SO LONG??!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I won't weigh in too heavily on your first two questions as I'm not sure about all the requirements for a cosponsor and I don't want to lead you in the wrong direction.

After you receive your NOA2, the case will be forwarded to the NVC and then on to the consulate in Sydney. This can take a while, lately some people have seemed to be stuck at the NVC stage but it may not take that long. My fiance and I got our NOA2 on the sixth of June and our Packet Three from Sydney on the twenty-second. Eventually the Sydney consulate will receive your petition and send you what is called a 'Packet Three'. This is a list of information that you have to collect before your interview date (Packet Four). One of the things you will need is a Police Certificate from any place you have lived for six months since you were sixteen. The Australian police certificate takes a couple weeks to get so you may want to request this as soon as you have your notice of action. My fiance lived in Queensland and we waited nearly three weeks to get this, the final piece of information before we could request the interview so I would recommend getting this done earlier. You need the certificate with fingerprints which can be done at most police stations (at least in QLD). Call ahead to see if you need an appointment though. I believe these are valid for six months so once you have your NOA2, you should be good to get this if you are planning on getting the visa as quickly as possible. If you are planning on waiting for any reason, you may want to wait until you actually receive your Packet Three from Sydney.

The other thing you'll need is a medical but I'm pretty sure that in Australia you must have your case number from Sydney before you can book your medical. What you will need to do before this, however, is get your immunization records from your family doctor/school/whatever as you will need these at the medical. After you have those, it's just waiting to get your case number from the consulate.

As for the evidence, what the poster above me said is good advice. They will want to be certain that you are in a relationship now rather than a few years ago. Pictures from earlier in the relationship won't hurt but it would be best to collect as much evidence as possible since you sent off your initial package. They will want to see new evidence of how you've been in a relationship and maintaining it while being apart.

Best of luck!

K-1 Journey

2008-09-15 ~ Started dating

2010-05-03 ~ First meeting in person in the U.S.

2010-07-19 ~ Moved to Australia on a Working Holiday visa

2010-11-23 ~ Got engaged!!!

2011-01-04 ~ Sent I-129F forms

2011-01-14 ~ NOA1

2011-06-06 ~ NOA2

2011-06-22 ~ Packet 3 Received

2011-07-13 ~ Packet 3 Sent

2011-08-02 ~ Interview ~ Approved!!!!

2011-08-05 ~ Visa in hand

2011-08-09 ~ POE at LAX

2011-10-15 ~ Wedding!

AOS Journey

2011-11-07 ~ AoS Packet Sent

2011-11-15 ~ RFE Received (Forgot to sign a paper)

2011-11-17 ~ RFE response sent back

2011-11-22 ~ Biometrics appointment

2011-12-13 ~ Transferred to California

Timeline

Hi all,

My name is Cameron I'm from Australia and Ive been reading the forum for a few months now and have found a wealth of information here, although I have a few questions I would like some answers to. But first I will explain our situation.

I met my fiance online about 8years ago, it all started as just two friends talking over instant msgs services and thats all it ever was for years, then it somehow turned into more. I went a visited her and asked her to marry me obviously that worked out, I have been to visit her about 7 times over the last 9months or so. We sent the first round of papper work in early May 2011 and recieved the NOA1 a couple of weeks later, we are expecting NOA2 in a month or so(judging by other peoples time lines). Also we just found out she is pregnant this has added some urgency to the situation...lol..

ok the questions.

thanks cameron.

Cameron I would not be worried about AOS just yet as you have to get the 129f petition approved first and your K1 visa approved. Your fiancee's father can sponsor you to come to the states as long as he meets the guidelines and makes 125% of the poverty guideline for a house of 3 which was stated before. You need a sponsor for the affidavit I-134 which your fiancee and her father will have to send you for your paperwork to be sent to consulate in Sydney.

Your NOA2 is the approval of the fiancee petition and then your file is sent to NVC new Hampshire to be given a case number then on to Sydney where then your fiancee will receive an email of your packet 3 which is what we call it and in that is all that you need to do and papers to collect to send in to the consulate. You can go on the Sydney consulate site and look up all you need to start collecting before you are approved. SO that you can be well prepared.

As you only filed in May you could get approval August/September depends on how quick they are processing petitions.

You can have your medical now but some of the docs are not doing them now without a case number so you need to ring the docs allotted by USCIS in Sydney and ring around and ask. I had Dr Waks in George st if you are in Sydney and he did mine without case number.

You can get your police report done now also as this takes 4 weeks to be returned to you. Now I am not sure but some have said now that the police report has to go direct to the consulate I had mine sent to me and it went with all my papers from packet 3. You need to go to the local police station and have fingerprinting done and pay fee .

Oh and the pregnancy has no bearing on your petition whatsoever. So one step at a time.

Oh and you can use pictures of all your visits and any emails that you have not that Sydney will ask for these they have all the evidence that was sent in with petition.

Edited by Barbara J

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Timeline

Thanks for the replys everyone, :)

K1 Timeline:

30/05/11 I-129F Sent

06/06/11 NOA1 Recieved

16/09/11 NOA2 Recieved

30/10/11 Medical Exam

30/10/11 Sent Packet 3

09/12/11 Visa in hand

10/12/11 POE, LAX

16/12/11 Married

AOS Timeline

02/01/12 Sent AOS Packet

06/01/12 NOA1

This process took us about year, it was very stressfull at times but well worth it.

(dates AUS format)

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

A question regaurding the Police Cert and Finger Printing:

I have a Police certificate from about 1 yr ago that I ordered for another visa but I never used it.On the paper work that came with it, it stated that I would not be able to obtain another Police certificate from that office. So my question is can I use this one and if I cant what do I do about it..?

And in regaurds to getting my finger printing done what do I do? Do I just go down to the police station and say that "I need my finger printing done for a visa" ? Do I walk away with a copy of my finger prints?

thanks.

K1 Timeline:

30/05/11 I-129F Sent

06/06/11 NOA1 Recieved

16/09/11 NOA2 Recieved

30/10/11 Medical Exam

30/10/11 Sent Packet 3

09/12/11 Visa in hand

10/12/11 POE, LAX

16/12/11 Married

AOS Timeline

02/01/12 Sent AOS Packet

06/01/12 NOA1

(dates AUS format)

Timeline

I know a lot of police stations ask that you make an appointment to get your fingerprinting done so i would check with your local police station to find out. but no, oyu don't walk away with them, they get sent off with your form you filled out for request for your police check and you will get it back in the mail, the certificate and the fingerprints. i only sent the certificate to the consulate, not the fingerprints because the certificate states what kind of a check they did :)

Not sure about your other question though. i would be calling someone to ask about this because as far as i know, your police clearance is only valid for a year, atleast for visa purposes i thought

Finally time for AOS.......

12/07/11 Sent AOS package

12/09/11 AOS package delivered

12/14/11 Received NOA for I-485 and I-765 (we're not applying for AP)

12/22/11 Received letter for Biometrics

01/04/12 Biometrics in Phoenix

01/31/12 Received email update from USCIS saying that we've been scheduled for an interview

02/03/12 Got an email saying card production had been ordered for my EAD...now just to wait for the card...

02/09/12 Received email saying EAD card has been sent

02/13/12 Received EAD card :D :D :D :D

03/06/12 Interview in Phoenix :).....Approved :D

03/14/12 Received Green card in mail.....

....no more USCIS until December 2013

event.png

Timeline

Oh ok thanks, so the fingerprinting is apart of the police check, a little bit of confusion on my behalf..ha.. Now if that NAO2 would just hury up and get to me.

K1 Timeline:

30/05/11 I-129F Sent

06/06/11 NOA1 Recieved

16/09/11 NOA2 Recieved

30/10/11 Medical Exam

30/10/11 Sent Packet 3

09/12/11 Visa in hand

10/12/11 POE, LAX

16/12/11 Married

AOS Timeline

02/01/12 Sent AOS Packet

06/01/12 NOA1

(dates AUS format)

Timeline

Yeah, on the bit of paper they send you back it basically just says that theyve done a complete history and fingerprint/ background check or whatever then lists anything they found, if anything. Seems like a waste of money really, lol

Finally time for AOS.......

12/07/11 Sent AOS package

12/09/11 AOS package delivered

12/14/11 Received NOA for I-485 and I-765 (we're not applying for AP)

12/22/11 Received letter for Biometrics

01/04/12 Biometrics in Phoenix

01/31/12 Received email update from USCIS saying that we've been scheduled for an interview

02/03/12 Got an email saying card production had been ordered for my EAD...now just to wait for the card...

02/09/12 Received email saying EAD card has been sent

02/13/12 Received EAD card :D :D :D :D

03/06/12 Interview in Phoenix :).....Approved :D

03/14/12 Received Green card in mail.....

....no more USCIS until December 2013

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.