ReggieSF

I-130 petition for a Tourist VISA holder fiancee

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If you have evidence of meeting sometime in the last 2 years and the other things in the guide you could file today. The only thing stopping that is her signature is required on the biographic forms. She could visit at any time during the process ( as long as she shows stong ties to where she left from) WIth either path the interview will be either in her home country or the place she is legally residing.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

The medical and interview CANNOT BE DONE HERE. SHE CANNOT ADJUST IN COUNTRY. Both a fiance visa or a spousal visa require that the person go home for medical and interview. Why not file fiance visa today?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Reggie--

1) Get married immediately

2) File I-130 as soon as you can to get the CR-1 ball rolling--all you have to wait for is the marriage certificate

3) FORGET anything else--you are still mixing up the process--it is simple, simple, simple--read ONLY about the CR-1

4) In 3 - 6 months you will go to step 2--I-864, I-230, etc

5) She can stay as long as her visa is valid--you will likely be done with the I-130 by then

6) Medical is done in her home country (or Ireland)--not here--

It is really, really easy--read the CR-1 instructions, and have her bring the required documents with her or order them immediately if she doesn't have them in Ireland

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Reggie--

1) Get married immediately

2) File I-130 as soon as you can to get the CR-1 ball rolling--all you have to wait for is the marriage certificate

3) FORGET anything else--you are still mixing up the process--it is simple, simple, simple--read ONLY about the CR-1

4) In 3 - 6 months you will go to step 2--I-864, I-230, etc

5) She can stay as long as her visa is valid--you will likely be done with the I-130 by then

6) Medical is done in her home country (or Ireland)--not here--

It is really, really easy--read the CR-1 instructions, and have her bring the required documents with her or order them immediately if she doesn't have them in Ireland

Magical,

Thank you! That really boosted my confidence! Regarding #5 is it OK for her to quit her job already in Ireland before she comes here using her Tourist visa to come here? Might it create any problems during the process?

I loved point #1. That's what we want. :D

We talked about her coming here this October, and since we're undecided on which route (k-1 or Cr-1) to take it has been very stressful especially for me.

If you have evidence of meeting sometime in the last 2 years and the other things in the guide you could file today. The only thing stopping that is her signature is required on the biographic forms. She could visit at any time during the process ( as long as she shows stong ties to where she left from) WIth either path the interview will be either in her home country or the place she is legally residing.

Does this mean that she should not quit her job in Ireland?

The medical and interview CANNOT BE DONE HERE. SHE CANNOT ADJUST IN COUNTRY. Both a fiance visa or a spousal visa require that the person go home for medical and interview. Why not file fiance visa today?

Got it. Thanks, Harpa! Every bit of info is very useful.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Ftom what I heard it takes 3 mos at least for the whole fiancee proces and based on the processing times on the UCIS it takes 5 mos for the i-130.

Posted times by USCIS from NOA1 to NOA2 is 5 months for fiancee petitions (I-129F) and spouse petitions (I-130). It may not take that long, or it may take longer.

The interview and medical exams can it be done here?

No

From the form it asked if my fiancee is here and if so asked for her 1-94/95 number and the expiry. does that mean we can file it when she's here?

To the best of my knowledge, I know of no rule or law that says you cannot file while she is here.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Posted times by USCIS from NOA1 to NOA2 is 5 months for fiancee petitions (I-129F) and spouse petitions (I-130). It may not take that long, or it may take longer.

No

To the best of my knowledge, I know of no rule or law that says you cannot file while she is here.

I went to my local USCIS and used the InfoPass. The immigration officer said that once we get married here, I should file the Adjustment of Status and I-130. I asked her if my wife needs to go back to Manila or Dublin to wait for processing she said no. And also asked where the medical exam and interview will be done. she said itwill be done here. Is this something new?

Edited by ReggieSF

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

No it is not new. As you have been told several times, the question is one of intent. If she comes here and you two spontaneously decide she should stay, she can Adjust Status. But if you are planning it- which you clearly are- then it can be considered material missrepresentation at the border, leading to a lifetime ban for your wife.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Armenia
Timeline

No it is not new. As you have been told several times, the question is one of intent. If she comes here and you two spontaneously decide she should stay, she can Adjust Status. But if you are planning it- which you clearly are- then it can be considered material missrepresentation at the border, leading to a lifetime ban for your wife.

I agree with Penguin_ie

It all comes down to the intent

You guys are planing to get married and trying to find a shortcut around the process.Turist visas are given to people with ties back home so they will return after their visit.

If your decision to get married was not planed before your fiancee came to the states on a visitor visa that would be a legit way to adjust status in US

Planing to get married on a visitor visa and AOS in US is Fraud

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

In my opinion, CR-1 is the best way to go. It's very simple and straightforward.

She can still come visit you (during visa processing) but just make sure she has enough evidence to show the American customs officers that she has attachments to home, ie lease agreement, letter from work, car payments, etc. They need to know she isn't trying to come to the US on a tourist visa to stay permanently.

Once she goes to her interview and hopefully gets approved (typically around 9 months) she will be able to come to the USA and work almost immediately. Her social security number should get mailed to her within a month. This is a huge bonus to CR-1.

Good luck, I know it's confusing at first. Do lots of reading and ask questions. It's the best way to learn.

USCIS

Jul 15/11 - Sent I-130 Package from Honolulu

Jul 18/11 - I-130 package received & signed for in Chicago
Jul 19/11 - Priority Date
Jul 21/11 - NOA1/USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received
Jul 29/11 - Received I-797C hard copy
Aug 4/11 - Touched
Feb 16/12 - NOA2 Approval (212 days since Priority Date)

NVC

Feb 28/12 - NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned, Optin E-mail for EP Sent

Mar 2/12 - DS-261 Submitted
Mar 5/12 - Electronic Processing Opt-in Accepted, AOS Invoiced & Paid
Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 9/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & Paid
Mar 12/12 - AOS fee shows as "Not Paid - Rejected": Human error. AOS re-paid.
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$
Mar 14/12 - IV is "Rejected - Not Paid", Re-paid, AOS is "Paid"
Mar 16/12 - IV is "Paid", DS-260 submitted & Package sent
Mar 19/12 - IV Package Received
Mar 20/12 - Case Complete E-mail Received (21 days at NVC)

Final Steps

Apr 10/12 - Interview date assigned: May 9 @ 8:30AM

May 1/12 - Medical Date
May 9/12 - Interview result: Approved!
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned
Aug 10/12 - Green card in hand

ROC

Mar 25/14 - ROC sent to CSC

Mar 28/14 - Package delivered to CSC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Apr 3/14 - Received NOA1, Receipt Date: 3/28

Jun 15/14 - Move to San Diego

Jun 23/14 - RFE / Package sent: Aug 6, ETA Aug 8

Aug 22/14 - New Card in Production

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.