prince

travel after N-400

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

I am planning to go back home for a month after I file my N-400.

when is the best time to travel is it after bio or after the interview. When I will get that solid 30 days gap. will there be any problem with my application if I travel after filing N-400. So far I have not been out of country since I came to US.

thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

when is the best time to travel is it after bio or after the interview. When I will get that solid 30 days gap. will there be any problem with my application if I travel after filing N-400. So far I have not been out of country since I came to US.

thank you

This question is asked a lot - there is no problem if you travel after you file for the N400 - the process can take months - they realize that real life goes on and people go on vacation :) I traveled back to Canada twice during the 5 months that I waited for my interview. When you go to your interview - you will update them on your recent trips(and length of trips) - that's all.

I would guess that you should finish up your bio appt and then you won;t have to worry that you've missed the FP letter. How long will you be gone?

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

There is no telling in when you get the longest gap... each office will process applications differently.

However, I think once you get your fringerprints done, then there should be a good 1 month. You will receive a letter for interview and usually that comes in around 1 week to several weeks and usually (but not always) there are about 3 weeks or more before your interview is scheduled.

My recommendation is not to travel during the process because things can go wrong and you should be here to take care of them. I recommend you file N-400 after you travel. That's my opinion.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Timeline

This question is asked a lot - there is no problem if you travel after you file for the N400 - the process can take months - they realize that real life goes on and people go on vacation :) I traveled back to Canada twice during the 5 months that I waited for my interview. When you go to your interview - you will update them on your recent trips(and length of trips) - that's all.

I would guess that you should finish up your bio appt and then you won;t have to worry that you've missed the FP letter. How long will you be gone?

I am planning to go for 3/4 weeks not more then a month. things need to settle down before becoming US citizen because my country doesn't accept dual citizenship.

Best time is between bio and interview--I haven't yet heard of interviews being scheduled within 30 days after biometrics.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

sounds great.. thanks

Namaste Prince,

I agree. In fact, we just went back to Nepal right after my husband's biometrics appointment. We were gone for 2 weeks and got back about 10 days ago and still no interview letter. :unsure:

You can get a pretty good idea of average waiting times between events from the threads on this forum that list all those who filed in a given month. Its not a guarantee, but there are certainly some timing patterns that most seem to share. I agree with those who have suggested to travel between biometrics and interview. So, for example, if you want to go home for Dashain, you might file in mid September with hopes of a biometrics appt in early to mid Oct, then leave right after that for your holiday. Several people who filed in May (like we did) were able to do their biometrics early on a walk-in basis, too, so you may want to check with your local office to see if that is an option.

Subha kamana,

Maya

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

Timeline

Namaste Prince,

I agree. In fact, we just went back to Nepal right after my husband's biometrics appointment. We were gone for 2 weeks and got back about 10 days ago and still no interview letter. :unsure:

You can get a pretty good idea of average waiting times between events from the threads on this forum that list all those who filed in a given month. Its not a guarantee, but there are certainly some timing patterns that most seem to share. I agree with those who have suggested to travel between biometrics and interview. So, for example, if you want to go home for Dashain, you might file in mid September with hopes of a biometrics appt in early to mid Oct, then leave right after that for your holiday. Several people who filed in May (like we did) were able to do their biometrics early on a walk-in basis, too, so you may want to check with your local office to see if that is an option.

Subha kamana,

Maya

Maya Dhanyabhad

Yes I am planning to go for early walk in Biometrics. And if they allow me then I think I will have more gap between bio and interview which will be very good for my travelling.

lets hope for the best :)

Filed: Other Timeline

thank you

You cannot assume that there is a solid 30-day gap. A 25-day gap perhaps, and the best time to leave would be immediately after you mailed in your N-400. From there on it goes bang, bang, bang.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

You cannot assume that there is a solid 30-day gap. A 25-day gap perhaps, and the best time to leave would be immediately after you mailed in your N-400. From there on it goes bang, bang, bang.

wow seems things will go faster :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.