Jenilynn

Succesfully moving to the USA without a co-sponsor

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am in the beginning of my research so please bear with me. I know I need my fiance to do the I130 when we get married. The problem is I don’t have a co-sponsor, therefore can't meet the financial requirements (my fiance isn't able to meet those requirements). I am very much capable of providing for myself, unfortunately the US gov't doesn't recognize this. Is there a way to 'get around' having a co-sponsor? Could someone please provide me with more information on obtaining a green card when not residing in the USA? Am I able to provide my own financial information at that time? I have spent most of the morning and afternoon on the phone with USCIS, they said your financial information (assets) would only come in to play if you will be living with him when immigrating... and I will not be. I have attempted to find out more information on green cards as well and they told me that regardless I will need either a co or joint sponsor who is willing to assume financial responsibility because an I130 will need to be filled out. The only other thing they suggested was going to the US Embassy in Canada and ask to be approved on my own financial situation… which requires an appt, they will not talk to me over the phone. Which I believe is called Consular Processing... Which brings me to this forum... If anyone has any information about getting approval by the consulate and what it actually requires, or any information that may help please let me know.

Thank you in advance

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

All I can say is if your wife is not a resident in Canada, you cannot do the DCF, for DCF your spouse has to be resident in foregin country.

Someone can chime in, I dont think you can qualify on your own asset and the logic behind is if you become a public charge which mean prob you dont have any asset left there is no one US Gov can go after to recover the cost of you being a public charge.

I understand what you are getting at if I come over on my own finances, but I am not sure what 'you cannot do the DCF, for DCF your spouse has to be resident in foregin country.' means. I am from Canada he is a USC, does that mean unless he comes to Canada we are unable to do this process?

Hi,

What do you mean by 'capable of providing for myself'? Will your income stream continue when you move to the US? Or do you have a job lined up already?

There is an option for a beneficiary to use his/her savings and assets in order to meet the required 125% above-the-poverty-line dollar amount. Its perfectly OK for a beneficiary to include their financials, taking into account the household size + the 1/3 calculation.

"I have spent most of the morning and afternoon on the phone with USCIS, they said your financial information (assets) would only come in to play if you will be living with him when immigrating... and I will not be..." What do you mean by this? 2 households?? Have a look at the attachment to assist you work out your combined financials.

I'd suggest posting to the Canada forum, I am not a VJ veteran unfortunately.

1681663082011_FPG_DCH.pdf

We need more information about this, though the short answer is that your husband needs a co-sponsor, not you. From what I can gather, you are Canadian, fiance is in US. Fiance does NOT live with you in Canada. You will not be living with him when you move to the US?

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

I understand what you are getting at if I come over on my own finances, but I am not sure what 'you cannot do the DCF, for DCF your spouse has to be resident in foregin country.' means. I am from Canada he is a USC, does that mean unless he comes to Canada we are unable to do this process?

What I mean is you can do DCF when your USC spouse is living with you out of US and both of them are now looking to move back to US.

There might be some other restriction you might want to check the DCF forum for more details.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The US citizen must be living in Canada and be a resident of Canada to file DCF. You posted in the DCF section of the forums. You should see if you can get your post moved to the CR-1 section or the Canada section to get more relevant answers.

DCF in Canada is no longer when August 14th 2011 rolls in.

Maybe the USC needs to pick up a couple more jobs to meet the requirement then quit them after you get the visa and to the USA? Or maybe try to get a friend to co-sponsor or a co-worker to co-sponsor.

When doing the CR-1 you only need to prove this support stuff once because you already apply for the green card during the process and will get it a few weeks after entry on the visa. ROC does not require any proof of income/support only joint tax returns.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Sorry I believe I posted in the wrong forum.

I am canadian, he is a USC and I want to immigrate to the USA.

Unfortunately I will not be living with him, nor is he unable to sponsor me financially. I will have a job lined up when I move but I am unable to get a work visa for that particular position.

Timeline

Heres a direct link to the Canada section, theres a guide and stuff pinned in there and quite a bit of other helpful things you can skim through.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/93-canada/

Spousal visas are interviewed for in Montreal QC.

Hope you can find out about the finance part and get it sorted out.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

DCF is the process of filing the I-130 through a overseas consulate. It allows a US citizen who is currently residing in a foreign country to petition for their spouse, children or parent at the US consulate in that country. Since you are not married (I'm assuming you are not because you said "your fiance", DCF is a closed door for the both of you. The K1 visa would be the way to go and you file the green card papers after you get here. The guides up there will help you.

If he doesn't make enough, he can make up the difference with assets. If he cannot, then he will need to find a co-sponsor. It can be a family member or a friend, or any US citizen.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency

07/09/2017 - filed N400 online

07/10/2017 - NOA

08/03/2017 - biometrics done

02/20/2018 - interview & oath ceremony

DCF is the process of filing the I-130 through a overseas consulate. It allows a US citizen who is currently residing in a foreign country to petition for their spouse, children or parent at the US consulate in that country. Since you are not married (I'm assuming you are not because you said "your fiance", DCF is a closed door for the both of you. The K1 visa would be the way to go and you file the green card papers after you get here. The guides up there will help you.

If he doesn't make enough, he can make up the difference with assets. If he cannot, then he will need to find a co-sponsor. It can be a family member or a friend, or any US citizen.

Okay I understand what DCF is now.. No that is not what we are looking to do.

We are looking at doing the K3 Visa... problem being I don't have a co-sponsor. I don't think I have any other options to explore.

Heres a direct link to the Canada section, theres a guide and stuff pinned in there and quite a bit of other helpful things you can skim through.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/93-canada/

Spousal visas are interviewed for in Montreal QC.

Hope you can find out about the finance part and get it sorted out.

Stupid question but is the Canadian forum for Canadians looking to move to the USA or for Canadians trying to have someone move to Canada?

Thanks..

This whole site is for immigration to the US - so the Canada forum is for Canadians moving to the US - although you can usually find information on other Canada related issues there aside from immigration matters.

It's a little confusing that you say you will not be living with your husband when you move to the US. Do you mean if you enter on a fiance visa you won't live together until you marry. Or do you mean you plan to live separately from your husband - if so is it a temporary arrangement to cover a temporary separation for education or work reasons?

So at present your options are really to choose between the K1 (fiance visa) and the CR1 (spouse visa)

K1 - fiance = you apply before you get married with the intention or marrying once you enter the US using your visa. After marriage you apply to adjust your status and can usually receive your green card and work authorization within 3 months (times vary)

CR1 - spouse = you marry before you apply - when you enter you automatically have green card / work authorization (well the actual card comes through the post a few weeks later but you have a stamp in your passport which works until then)

For either of these visas the couple needs to show financial support - the US citizen will be the one to fill out the forms to do this and will be the one who needs to acquire a co-sponsor if needed. You have the option to show that you have enough assets (usually money in the bank) to cover the financial obligations if the USC has no job or no co-sponsor.

People can help you more with details if you can specify the household size needed for the financial requirement. So just the two of you or does your fiance have children/other dependents too

Timeline

Okay I understand what DCF is now.. No that is not what we are looking to do.

We are looking at doing the K3 Visa... problem being I don't have a co-sponsor. I don't think I have any other options to explore.

Stupid question but is the Canadian forum for Canadians looking to move to the USA or for Canadians trying to have someone move to Canada?

Thanks..

Canadians moving to the US via getting spousal or fiance visas.

Canadians looking to move a spouse to the USA is a whole different website, VJ is all about moving to the USA.

This whole site is for immigration to the US - so the Canada forum is for Canadians moving to the US - although you can usually find information on other Canada related issues there aside from immigration matters.

It's a little confusing that you say you will not be living with your husband when you move to the US. Do you mean if you enter on a fiance visa you won't live together until you marry. Or do you mean you plan to live separately from your husband - if so is it a temporary arrangement to cover a temporary separation for education or work reasons?

So at present your options are really to choose between the K1 (fiance visa) and the CR1 (spouse visa)

K1 - fiance = you apply before you get married with the intention or marrying once you enter the US using your visa. After marriage you apply to adjust your status and can usually receive your green card and work authorization within 3 months (times vary)

CR1 - spouse = you marry before you apply - when you enter you automatically have green card / work authorization (well the actual card comes through the post a few weeks later but you have a stamp in your passport which works until then)

For either of these visas the couple needs to show financial support - the US citizen will be the one to fill out the forms to do this and will be the one who needs to acquire a co-sponsor if needed. You have the option to show that you have enough assets (usually money in the bank) to cover the financial obligations if the USC has no job or no co-sponsor.

People can help you more with details if you can specify the household size needed for the financial requirement. So just the two of you or does your fiance have children/other dependents too

THANK YOU SO MUCH! This has helped me a lot.

Timeline

Sorry I believe I posted in the wrong forum.

I am canadian, he is a USC and I want to immigrate to the USA.

Unfortunately I will not be living with him, nor is he unable to sponsor me financially. I will have a job lined up when I move but I am unable to get a work visa for that particular position.

You would not be living with him (I am guessing) but you two still would be married and that would be considered single household.

Living seperate would be fine if you doing for work / education purpose, but if you mean that you are engaged only for immigration purpose then it might not wrk.

Edited by Harsh_77

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.