together4evr

tourist visa

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Does a anyone know if my husband would be denied a tourist visa to live with me in the USA while we wait for NOA2? Has anyone ever done this? If denied will is cause the I-130 to have issues? I called USCIS and she read off something that states some countries are allowed to stay and wait with USC. Any constructive advice is welcome. Past experiences are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Sept 11, 2011 NOA2-took 19 days to get case number

Sept 30, 2011 NVC number and IIN received Friday-gotta wait till Monday

Oct 13, 2011 Case Completed- 13 days from receiving case number Took 32 days from NOA2

Nov 30, 2011 Notified of Interview date

January 19, 2012 Interview- 240 days from NOA1

INTERVIEW RESULTS-APPROVED WITH 14 WEEKS AP--but he got his visa in 56 days!!!!!!

PLEASE EDIT YOUR TIMELINE IN YOUR PROFILE SO OTHERS CAN LEARN HOW LONG EACH STEP TAKES IN THIS PROCESS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

LOL I'm sorry but this post is funny to me. If they actually granted visitor visas to husbands while waiting for a visa, we'd all have done it. They won't grant a visitor visa to someone who has the intent to stay in the US ie being married to a US citizen.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes he will, because tourist visas are not for living in the US

However, he may be able to apply for one to VISIT you! This is very important. If he enters the toursit visa interview and uses the word 'live' the is most certainly going to be denied

This being said, you certainly have a 100% chance of not getting a toruist visa unless you apply

what are his ties to Egypt that he'll have to produce for the interview? He'll have a tough time espeically with a USC spouse so the stronger ties the better

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

Sorry to say, but he would have a very difficult time getting approved for a tourist visa at this point..Regardless of what his ties to Egypt are and how strong they are, since you two are married and already applying for a spousal visa they have absolutely no reason to believe he would simply return to Egypt prior to his tourist visa expiring...I too wish it was that easy, I would have had my husband over there a long time ago instead of making the several trips I've made here over the past few years and spending all the months apart that we have in between. Even if they were still doing K3 which would have allowed him to come and wait while the visa petition is processed, given the situation with the embassy here and the number of cases waiting to be forwarded here I seriously doubt it would have made any difference timewise in getting him to the states..I wish I had better news for you but sadly we are stuck at the mercy or the system waiting it out (F)

Timeline

Sorry for my ignorance of criminal intent. I am a rule follower. I want to know if anyone knows anyone who applied for one and how did it impact their application? I value all your opinions and thoughts but I want some facts or a place to research the facts. Thank you all.

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Oct 13, 2011 Case Completed- 13 days from receiving case number Took 32 days from NOA2

INTERVIEW RESULTS-APPROVED WITH 14 WEEKS AP--but he got his visa in 56 days!!!!!!

PLEASE EDIT YOUR TIMELINE IN YOUR PROFILE SO OTHERS CAN LEARN HOW LONG EACH STEP TAKES IN THIS PROCESS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

A denied tourist visa will not impact the Cr1. I wasn't denied a tourist visa, but I was denied entry into the US..twice. It was not an issue

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

Egypt is one of those countries that does not allow a visitor visa to someone who is already married to a USC....pretty certain but hey call the embassy and ask if in doubt. Im sure that is what the woman in the embassy told me.

Don't waste your money even applying for a tourist visa.

Use the money you would be wasting to buy something for the house, like a table or a set of pots and pans.

Edited by Eric-Pris

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Don't waste your money even applying for a tourist visa.

Use the money you would be wasting to buy something for the house, like a table or a set of pots and pans.

Awesome advice. :thumbs: Have him get some 400 threadcount Egyptian cotton sheets instead.

Edited by squeaky580

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

A denied tourist visa will not impact the Cr1. I wasn't denied a tourist visa, but I was denied entry into the US..twice. It was not an issue

Good luck

Well Calibob is posting in the I601 forum now because his wife got denied a tourist VISA and got a misrep charge. Its the reason you get denied that counts.

You can certainly try for a Tourist VISA the problem is it will not accomplish what you are stating in your post, you want him to live with you during the process and it appears they don't like that arrangement.

People who are sucessful in doing this are either from VWP countries or have demonstrated very strong ties to home country, job, home, bank accounts, car etc. This may be true for your honey as well, however since you are talking about a prolonged stay and not a tourist stay then it leads to what questions would be asked at consular interview or POE secondary interview if its required. That opens the door for 2 additional opportunities for things to go sideways not a risk I would take given the country of origin is Egypt and you already have a difficult and unique set of circumstances just because you are dealing with that country and Embassy. They do AP on all MENA country applicants, if he travels now its just one more thing they have to take the time to check into.. IMHO.

While I agree its "possible" in theory, I think its a bad idea in practice at this time in your circumstances.

Edited by Sergi9

Filed: Timeline

Sweety look in the guides one of the minuses of I-130 or the CR-1 visa is most likely not granted a visit to the spouse

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

Separation from family may be longer than if filing for a K-3 Visa (or K-1 visa for a non-married fiance). The applicant will most likely not be able to enter the US while their IR1-CR-1 Visa is being processed.

That is from the guide page. It would be great if our spouses could join us on a tourist visa till there visa is done. But all visa are looked at like intenet to stay, that is why there is a cruel process. You could try but I hate to see you waste the money on this for a denial that could effect any future and the upcoming interview for this visa. And with the things going on in Egypt right now there looking at all cases, as ppl want to escape there life there. All of these ladies now the pain of being lonely and missing our husbands/fiances. Feel free to contact me if you like. Just talking to ppl in the same situation helps a lot.

Timeline

:( I wish my husband was with me in usa waiting for visa...I think you should just wait and go with cr1.Many here been married more than a year and waiting to live life together with there spouse.Use the money towards the cr1 process better than trying for visitor visa.Or even buy a ticket and visit your husband. I feel you believe me.Stay strong :thumbs: GOD BLESS YOU

VMnmm7.pngrSeTm7.png

Timeline

I do not think anyone has tried to get a tourist visa in a long time while I-130 is pending. The visa is only 150 dollars. I waste more than that at the salon. The government knows where I live. I have been at my home for years. I have had the same job for years. I think they will know how to find me if I try to hide my husband.

I will be back in Alex in August. This will be my 3rd trip to egypt this year. It is hard for me to travel. I have a home and a full time career and family that needs me intermittently. Also the cat gets upset when I am gone for extended periods. I have spent 3 months in Egypt this year. My job has been very compassionate and understanding but I am sure they might not tolerate my absence much more. So, I think it is worth the risk to give a turist visa interview a try. I will keep you all updated. If we get denied at least I can say I tried as hard as I could to have my family together. If we get approved then I can say Ahumdallah! Good luck to everyone and thanks for the advice, guidance and some giggles!!

May 24, 2011 NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

The risk is not that they may come to find you for hiding your husband. The risk is that there are several points at which he could be charged with fraud and misrepresentation and thus become ineligible for a visa period. The real problem is that they set up a Catch 22. In order to get a tourist visa you must show your intent to return to your home country. So, if he is honest in that tourist visa application/interview it will be clear to the CO that he does intend to immigrate and he will be denied a visa. If he is not honest and gets the tourist visa, the dishonesty on that application can later have very very bad consequences for his immigrant visa. Then, assuming for a moment that he does get the tourist visa, when he enters the US he will be questioned at entry and if that officer determines that he has an intent to immigrate, they can turn him back and, depending on their mood, give him a misrep charge as well which, again, makes him ineligible to receive any visa ever (without a waiver which is a difficult process). So, if you are willing to try and do not mind throwing some money at it, my only advice is that, yes, there is no harm in trying, but make sure he is extremely honest in the process, even if this means the tourist visa will be denied and also be aware that the CO does not have the final say--he can be turned away at entry with a black mark. I would also warn that the chances of an officer at entry being rather serious about this is quite high given your husband's country of origin.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

One clarification. the problem at the point of entry is that he would be entering with a non-immigrant visa with an intent to immigrate. If he gets an officer who wants to be strict about it, this can be called fraud.

I know some of this seems silly, but please take it seriously.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.