Justin and Kate

how to get interview date EARLIER for US embassy in MOSCOW!

34 posts in this topic

When we had to reschedule our interview I called the Embassy in Almaty and the people who answer the phone are locals hired by the US government, but there are USC that are working in the Embassy. I found the Embassy in Kazakhstan to be very efficient. In fact too efficient. They sent us the interview information and medical information and the interview date which was in less than two weeks. This was a problem as the medical results took more than two weeks to get.

I would have the USC call the Moscow Embassy and explain the situation and see if they can accommodate you. After all it is now in their hands not the USCIS or NVC. Every Embassy is different and as others have said it does not hurt to ask.

Good luck and congrats on getting an interview date.

Dave

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

You said that you have all your papers finished but dont want to wait for packet 3. Packet 3 contains all the items you will need for your interview. It is an important document. If you have everything, just check off all the boxes and mail back. They WILL NOT schedule an interview until they have this packet back. They need to know you are ready to go. Once received you are put into a date/time slot for an interview about one month later. It is almost impossible to RE-schedule when you don't have any schedule yet. Also, the embassy receives both an electronic and paper copy from the NVC. The electronic version gets there pretty quickly. A few days. The papers can take a few days more. Then they will need to review them before sending out the packet 3. I know there are reason you want to be here quickly, but sometimes these things take time and better to do it properly then rush and something gets messed.

Filed: Other Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Are you trying to go through an attorney? It would be quicker if you do this yourself. If your circumstances are an emergency tell the embassy. Find out how many filers this embassy usually processes per month. If they process a large amount per month then expect a delay. There might be info on this here on VJ.

First of all you need to find out who the approved doctors are and find one close to you. Go to the embassy website or call them about a list of approved doctors for the medical exams. Schedule your medical exam now don't wait, the medical exam results should be valid for six months. Find out if they want an xray also, the approved doctor should know all this and should have all the forms and will give you any needed vaccines. Remember Do NOT open any sealed medical exam results until you get to the embassy interview and the consular asks for the medical results.

If you take care of the medical exam now then you will not have to take the time to do it when the embassy tells you. Some doctors offices might be very busy and unable to schedule your exam quickly so do it now. Usually the embassy won't schedule an interview until you contact them and let them know you have completed the exam.

Make sure you are getting all your originals ready for the interview. All of them, birth certificates, divorce decrees from both of you, marriage certificates if it applies to you, and anything they request when the embassy contacts you for the interview. Remember if anything has changed financially since sending your documents to NVC then expect a delay by the consular to review it.

Depending on how busy that embassy is and how many they have working there, August could be possible but I don't think anyone at the embassy will tell you that.

Good luck!

Oct. 2009 - Met on Facebook(I found her through a friend)

July 2010 - Married

Oct. 2010 - Filed I-130 with USCIS

Nov. 2010 - Official permission to reside in Indonesia (KITAS)

Jan. 2011 - Medical Exam and Vaccinations completed

Jan. 2011 - Cancelled I-130

Jan. 2011 - Filed DCF (Direct Consular Filing)

Jan. 2011 - I-130 Approved

Jan. 2011 - Rec. (packet 3)instructions

Jan. 2011 - Gathering Documents

Feb. 2011 - Emailed Embassy

Feb. 2011 - Interview Date Sent

APPROVED!!

POE Atlanta

Took 32 days from the filing of the petition to getting visa

Filed: Other Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Are you trying to go through an attorney? It would be quicker if you do this yourself. If your circumstances are an emergency tell the embassy. Find out how many filers this embassy usually processes per month. If they process a large amount per month then expect a delay. There might be info on this here on VJ.

First of all you need to find out who the approved doctors are and find one close to you. Go to the embassy website or call them about a list of approved doctors for the medical exams. Schedule your medical exam now don't wait, the medical exam results should be valid for six months. Find out if they want an xray also, the approved doctor should know all this and should have all the forms and will give you any needed vaccines. Remember Do NOT open any sealed medical exam results until you get to the embassy interview and the consular asks for the medical results.

If you take care of the medical exam now then you will not have to take the time to do it when the embassy tells you. Some doctors offices might be very busy and unable to schedule your exam quickly so do it now. Usually the embassy won't schedule an interview until you contact them and let them know you have completed the exam.

Make sure you are getting all your originals ready for the interview. All of them, birth certificates, divorce decrees from both of you, marriage certificates if it applies to you, and anything they request when the embassy contacts you for the interview. Remember if anything has changed financially since sending your documents to NVC then expect a delay by the consular to review it.

Depending on how busy that embassy is and how many they have working there, August could be possible but I don't think anyone at the embassy will tell you that.

Good luck!

You should find out from the embassy first, if you are allowed to get your medical exam completed ahead of time. Make sure you know.

Oct. 2009 - Met on Facebook(I found her through a friend)

July 2010 - Married

Oct. 2010 - Filed I-130 with USCIS

Nov. 2010 - Official permission to reside in Indonesia (KITAS)

Jan. 2011 - Medical Exam and Vaccinations completed

Jan. 2011 - Cancelled I-130

Jan. 2011 - Filed DCF (Direct Consular Filing)

Jan. 2011 - I-130 Approved

Jan. 2011 - Rec. (packet 3)instructions

Jan. 2011 - Gathering Documents

Feb. 2011 - Emailed Embassy

Feb. 2011 - Interview Date Sent

APPROVED!!

POE Atlanta

Took 32 days from the filing of the petition to getting visa

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You said that you have all your papers finished but dont want to wait for packet 3. Packet 3 contains all the items you will need for your interview. It is an important document. If you have everything, just check off all the boxes and mail back. They WILL NOT schedule an interview until they have this packet back. They need to know you are ready to go. Once received you are put into a date/time slot for an interview about one month later. It is almost impossible to RE-schedule when you don't have any schedule yet. Also, the embassy receives both an electronic and paper copy from the NVC. The electronic version gets there pretty quickly. A few days. The papers can take a few days more. Then they will need to review them before sending out the packet 3. I know there are reason you want to be here quickly, but sometimes these things take time and better to do it properly then rush and something gets messed.

Ignore this post as this is NOT how it is done at the embassy in Moscow. There is no packet 3 that must be returned, but a I think you already know this.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Dogs can't take MRI's but Cat scan.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

NO, this is not how Russia does it. My fiancee did not have to wait and return packet 3. She just received the instructions and interview yellow envelope the other day. Many go without the envelope because the mail in Russia is unreliable. Belarus may do it this way, but not in Russia.

This is everything that needs to be done in English. Get the police certificate done now while you wait as it can take a while sometimes.

http:///moscow.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/iv-packet4-eng.pdf

James and Oksana

event.png

Traveled to Novosibirsk, Russia (thats in Siberia) over holidays

Engaged on ----------------- New Years

Send I-129F package ---- 1/15/2011

Package Received -------- 1/18/2011 10:13 AM signed for by J BRADSHAW

NOA1---------------------------1/20/2011

E-Notification of NOA1---- 1/24/2011 1:09 AM & check cashed, sent to CSC

Hard Copy NOA1------------1/27/2011

Surprise Visit Fiancée-----4/12/2011 - 4/18/2011 (see picture as she was shocked!)

NOA2---------------------------5/11/2011

Birthday Visit------------------5/18/2011 - 5/25/2011

VISA APPROVED!!!----------7/13/2011

Timeline

You should find out from the embassy first, if you are allowed to get your medical exam completed ahead of time. Make sure you know.

I do not believe they prohibit you from this, but if you do not live in Moscow, then I would suggest doing this a couple days before hand. The reason being is panel physicians are ONLY in Moscow. The Embassy knows this and typically does not schedule immigrant interviews early in the week for this reason, to allow for the medical. Keep this in mind also if they give you an option to re-schedule, that if it is a Monday or Tuesday, this could mean being in Moscow the Friday before for medical to ensure results are back in time.

Also, something else to consider is the visa fee. The Embassy allows for payment in dollars, but they must be very crisp or nearly new bills. If they are worn or marked on in any way, they will not accept them as it is hard to exchange them at Russian banks. You can pay in rubles, but the Embassy sets the rate at 30 rubles per dollar, when the exchange rate right now is 26.6 approximately. So you will pay more for paying the fee in rubles than in dollars. If the US citizen petitioner is coming, I would suggest he bring very new bills to pay the fee to avoid paying more in rubles. Just keep in mind as I was once reminded, flights can be delayed or cancelled...so arrival early by both parties is not a bad idea, especially if the US citizen will be coming.

Also, make sure an entire copy of paperwork is in the hands of beneficiary before the interview. I took mine to my fiancee so I can't advise how to get it there best.

James and Oksana

event.png

Traveled to Novosibirsk, Russia (thats in Siberia) over holidays

Engaged on ----------------- New Years

Send I-129F package ---- 1/15/2011

Package Received -------- 1/18/2011 10:13 AM signed for by J BRADSHAW

NOA1---------------------------1/20/2011

E-Notification of NOA1---- 1/24/2011 1:09 AM & check cashed, sent to CSC

Hard Copy NOA1------------1/27/2011

Surprise Visit Fiancée-----4/12/2011 - 4/18/2011 (see picture as she was shocked!)

NOA2---------------------------5/11/2011

Birthday Visit------------------5/18/2011 - 5/25/2011

VISA APPROVED!!!----------7/13/2011

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

NO, this is not how Russia does it. My fiancee did not have to wait and return packet 3. She just received the instructions and interview yellow envelope the other day. Many go without the envelope because the mail in Russia is unreliable. Belarus may do it this way, but not in Russia.

This is everything that needs to be done in English. Get the police certificate done now while you wait as it can take a while sometimes.

Don't waste money calling the Russian Embassy the 202 number given is in the states and might be helpful but the pay number at the Embassy only has info on non-immigrant VISA issues.

FYI Belarus doesn't have a way, they don't process any VISA's, most immigrant are done in Poland and a handful are done in Moscow. They both use NVC process and the checklist on the Embassy website, after the appointment is scheduled you just show up with the list of documents on the website, no packet is mailed to you. For the medical it seems there is one agency that returns results in 2 days and one if you can get an appointment in the morning that will give you results in afternoon.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Back in 2009 during our time there, I emailed them more than a dozen times. Always received a reply within about 3 business days; most were short and sweet. Didn't remember any run-around answers or grammar or spelling issues.

Email them and request your request. No need to be lovey dovey about it, just state why you would like an earlier date, if at all possible.

Not so much anymore...like I said hit and miss, you might luck out and get helpful response or useless response. Hoping for the OP sake its helpful

Edited by Sergi9

Filed: Timeline

I'm not sure if this gives you any more hope or not, but I have a friend that recently was able to change his fiancee's interview date by calling and giving his reasons. They had already purchased plane tickets and had the whole wedding planned before they received their interview date. When the packet came the date was about 3 weeks after the date they bought the tickets for. He had been working with someone from his local senator's office and they were able to have some influence I gather. They changed the interview date from July 21 to June 23. She made it to America on July 1st and they are going to be married soon :)

Timeline

I don't know how it is in Russia, but our K-1 was received at the Embassy in Ukraine 4 days after the NVC sent it. I called the Embassy and was told that they had received it, so I purchased the PIN code and called back 2 days ago to schedule the interview for my fiancee, which will be on August 8. So, it's about a month from the time you call to schedule the interview.

If I am reading correctly, you received your case number from the NVC, but you don't know if they have sent it to the Embassy in Moscow yet? I was told it would take 4-6 weeks, but like I said earlier, they received it in 4 days. I would call the NVC to see if they have sent it, and if they did send it more than 4 days ago, you should call the Embassy to see if they have it. If so, you'll be able to schedule the interview right away.

Yes,you got it right! We got our case number...but NVC officer promissed that it'll be send to Moscow within 3 bus.days....so it's about today. I think Justin can call to NVC on Monday and check if they did so. If yes,then I'll call to embassy in a week or so. The lady from US Embassy visa support got me wrong I think, as she said to me don't call earlier than a month after tha NVC sending date....rediculous...ppl from all over tha wolrd doing calls beforehand to know the date of interview and than waiting for that misterious yellow envelope, right?

Thank you so much for positive news :thumbs:

Timeline

Good luck!

Hi!!! Thank you for your comments and deep observation of my question. As I said all comments are welcome as you see ppl have different points of view here. But back to my topic. I'm leaving in Moscow so there's no problem with time or appartment rent while waiting for interview as some can have. The authorized hospital for medicals is in city and if you come to pass tests before 10am you'll get the results back in afternoon, that's true. Thanks for reminding I'm not going to open that misterious envelope )))

As I know in embassy in Moscow we don't have to recieve and get back packets 3 or 4...it's simplify...I think I still need to wait for that official document list and invitation...but that's not a big deal. You know post offices is horrible in Russia ((( AND I can get all needed forms which must be filled in by me just at the embassy beforehand...there's spetial gates near Embassy where you can ask for any Form or extra form...isn't it nice? :)

The document I must collect is ready including police certificates and notorizhed copies...the only thing on waiting is my fiance need to send me original of I134, I even have all support docs for it as 1040,W2 and bank statements, bank letter,letter from employee and letter of intent from fiance...and obviously all other stuff..like evidence, photos and bla bla...passport,birth certificate..paper that I've never been married...all is translated into english.

We even didn't have an idea of using attorney, me and my Justin did everything ourself...I guess as most of VJ members. (F)

One more time thanks for all things you remind me to have and do, I appriciate this.

I wish you luck with your beloved (L)

Timeline

I'm not sure if this gives you any more hope or not, but I have a friend that recently was able to change his fiancee's interview date by calling and giving his reasons. They had already purchased plane tickets and had the whole wedding planned before they received their interview date. When the packet came the date was about 3 weeks after the date they bought the tickets for. He had been working with someone from his local senator's office and they were able to have some influence I gather. They changed the interview date from July 21 to June 23. She made it to America on July 1st and they are going to be married soon :)

sure, it makes me feel better ... at least that fact that GOOD people ARE exist and trying to help and make things work out )))) 1 month ahead !!! that's sounds great. Unfortunately we don't have any sharp reasons to get interview earlier except 1: my labor agreement stopss july and I don't want to prolong it .... but also don't want to be without job and waste money on doing nothing ))) you know life in Moscow is freaking expensive :hehe:

Timeline

WOW YAY YAY ))))) you gave me the link for package 4!!!! you have NO idea how you helped me :dance: this is what I was looking for everywhere..maybe me silly girl were looking for it in wrong place lol THANKS!!! :P

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

WOW YAY YAY ))))) you gave me the link for package 4!!!! you have NO idea how you helped me :dance: this is what I was looking for everywhere..maybe me silly girl were looking for it in wrong place lol THANKS!!! :P

The DS-156K form is in Russian and must be completed in Russian. You can do all these forms now and not wait for the official packet (if it does come or not). If you don't have their official invitation letter, their email to you stating your date is all you need to show up on the appointed day.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.