Tiger17

Form DS-160

9 posts in this topic

For those of you who filed form DS-160 for K1 please help me here.

I’m in a process of completing form DS-160 for a K1 visa and struggling to locate what is the Passport Book number on my Canadian passport.

Your help is appreciated

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Go to page 3 of your Canadian passport. At the top right-hand corner, there is a code just above a barcode. That is your passport book number. If you have a newer passport, your passport book number will also be etched on the top of each page starting on Page 1.

Thanks Piefre.

Some say the Book number or the Inventory control # is the same as the passport # and I got confused on what to write in that field.

Piefre,

I see that you’re also going through the K-1 Visa process. Have you received your Packet 3 yet?

My petition was approved back in May 3rd, but still I have not received my packet 3 from Montreal consulate office. Since there is expiration on this thing, someone told me to just go a head, get the forms from the website and submit to the consulate.

Timeline

I see that you’re also going through the K-1 Visa process. Have you received your Packet 3 yet?

My petition was approved back in May 3rd, but still I have not received my packet 3 from Montreal consulate office. Since there is expiration on this thing, someone told me to just go a head, get the forms from the website and submit to the consulate.

I haven't gotten my Packet 3 yet and my fiance hasn't found the time (we both have high stress jobs, ugh) to call NVC to find out yet. I presume Packet 3 will arrive when it should for me. However, I am being sent to the Vancouver consulate because I live in Alberta and from what I hear, Vancouver is a great deal faster than Montreal and their process differs a little bit so I'm not sure how you should proceed with Montreal at this time. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Thanks Piefre.

Some say the Book number or the Inventory control # is the same as the passport # and I got confused on what to write in that field.

Piefre,

I see that you're also going through the K-1 Visa process. Have you received your Packet 3 yet?

Have you called NVC to get your MTL case number yet? If you have your MTL case number you can call DOS to find out if packet 3 has been sent. I am sure that the mail strike in Canada has held many of them up. If it has been sent you can send in your paperwork to Montreal for packet 3 without receiving the hard copy. This is the link that will help you with what to send to Montreal ....http://montreal.usconsulate.gov/content/content.asp?section=visas&document=immigrant_visa .

Sent AOS pack......2011-08-08

NOA's dated ..........2011-08-15

Biometrics..............2011-09-13

EAD card.................2011-10-26

AP card....................2011-10-26

AOS approved .......2011-12-19

Green card rec.......2011-12-27

Hi JeannieL,

Thanks for replying.

No didn’t call DOS and I’m not sure if Montreal has sent packet 3, but my fiancée has received the MTL case number from the NVC in May. The problem was that we didn’t know that we could get the forms from the consulate’s website and send them without receiving the packet 3.

You’re right, the mail strike might held up, but after waited more than 2 months without packet 3, I started searching for more information and I found out that I could complete the forms and send them to Montreal instead of waiting the packet 3.

Do I still need to find out if packet 3 was sent or since I have the MTL case number we’re allowed to submit the forms without receiving the hard copy?

Another problem we're facing is that, the petition expires on august 24th, 2011.

Timeline

Hi JeannieL,

Thanks for replying.

No didn’t call DOS and I’m not sure if Montreal has sent packet 3, but my fiancée has received the MTL case number from the NVC in May. The problem was that we didn’t know that we could get the forms from the consulate’s website and send them without receiving the packet 3.

You’re right, the mail strike might held up, but after waited more than 2 months without packet 3, I started searching for more information and I found out that I could complete the forms and send them to Montreal instead of waiting the packet 3.

Do I still need to find out if packet 3 was sent or since I have the MTL case number we’re allowed to submit the forms without receiving the hard copy?

Another problem we're facing is that, the petition expires on august 24th, 2011.

You need to find out if Pkt3 was sent (it probably was) by calling Department of State. You press 1 and then 0, I think (or it's 0 and then 1, one of the two, lol). You do NOT need to receive the hard copy of Pkt3 to mail the forms back- all you need to know is that Pkt3 was logged for you.

Same goes for Pkt4. You do NOT need to receive the hard copy of Pkt4 in order to book an interview- about a week after mailing Pkt3 to Montreal, start calling DoS and asking if Pkt4 has been logged. If they say yes ask the operator if you're able to book an interview. If they say that Pkt4 is logged but they say you should wait before booking an interview, wait about 20 minutes and then call DoS again until someone tells you you're eligible to book an interview. The day that Pkt4 was mailed to me, I called DoS 3 times and booked my interview on the website on the same day. I received Pkt4 hardcopy about one week later. HUGE time saver!

It's common for Montrealers to not receive Pkt3 or Pkt4 hardcopies. Who knows why?

Also, regarding the expiry date of your petition, it's automatically extended as soon as you book an interview. For example, my petition "expires" on August 11th but my interview date is on August 22nd and it's not a problem.

Edited by pocheros

Timeline

Guys, I just looked at my own copy of the DS-160 I mailed in awhile ago (which was approved, btw) and it has my passport number but for my passport "book" number I apparently chose DOES NOT APPLY. Although when I look at my passport I clearly do have a passport book number. I don't know why I didn't enter it. Will this cause any problems?

Guys, I just looked at my own copy of the DS-160 I mailed in awhile ago (which was approved, btw) and it has my passport number but for my passport "book" number I apparently chose DOES NOT APPLY. Although when I look at my passport I clearly do have a passport book number. I don't know why I didn't enter it. Will this cause any problems?

Thanks for the advice Pocheros.

I’ve completed the packet 3 forms and I’m gonna send today.

I will do the same for packet 4 too and schedule my interview appointment right after that.

As for your question “The password book Number” I think you will be ok. Alots of people here said that they did the samething by selecting “Does not apply” for that field.

Good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.