Mr. 2000

Visa Approved, but must wait 1 more year?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My wife told me that her uncle (an american vietnamese) married a vietnamese woman and they did the thing, got to the interview, passed the interview, BUT they were told they must wait an additional year before they receive their visa. I was under the impression that if we pass the interview in VN, my wife will get a visa within a couple weeks. Did Obama change something about the process? Is there an extra 1-year waiting period we must endure?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

No, there isn't a "waiting period." They may have had some AP time in there as well.

So many of these hearsay stories in the VN community get folks worried for no reason.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

There isn't any additional waiting time for most people but for those who are in AP there is at least a six months review but this is for most countries not just Vietnam. I wouldn't stress over this too much if you did all your paperwork right it should be a breeze.

Filed: Timeline

there has to be something more to the story, ask him for more details on what reason they gave. if you passed the interview, and no medical or other issues, then they should issue the visa within a few weeks.

there has to be something more to the story, ask him for more details on what reason they gave. if you passed the interview, and no medical or other issues, then they should issue the visa within a few weeks.

Timeline

What is AP? Addional Processing? What might cause that and how could I avoid it?

There can be many things that can throw one into AP so it is very hard to name them all. If the consulate thinks for any number of reasons that the visa try may be a fraud attempt they will put the visa on hold until they investigate further. This can take from a few weeks to many months including years. The best thing to do is to read this forum thoroughly and find any and all red flags and deal with them the best you can. This forum has seen most and it is all here. Have questions then ask.

Also sometimes a medical condition can lead to extra time such as a bad TB test. After treatment which can last months they will test again and if pass then the consulate may issue the visa. Also have seen where an emergency on one of the actors parts postpones the visa try for awhile.

If you want to give us details on your timeline and tell us what you have done and the relationship we can maybe help tell you a lot more. We can't guess and are not mind readers but many here have gone through the whole gamut of problems to the easy visa.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I haven't encountered any major issues with my own visa process yet. I did hire an attorney to help us with it and so far I am at the stage where I had to submit additional documentation such as the biographic sheet and the affidavit of support. The only minor issue I had so far was them saying that the birth certificate and marriage certificate were not valid...but this was a screw-up on my attorney's end - she sent in copies instead of the certified documents I gave her.

Timeline

I haven't encountered any major issues with my own visa process yet. I did hire an attorney to help us with it and so far I am at the stage where I had to submit additional documentation such as the biographic sheet and the affidavit of support. The only minor issue I had so far was them saying that the birth certificate and marriage certificate were not valid...but this was a screw-up on my attorney's end - she sent in copies instead of the certified documents I gave her.

Another basic that an attorney did not know. The tales of attorney mistakes are really disappointing.

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Another basic that an attorney did not know. The tales of attorney mistakes are really disappointing.

Years have heard the same old story over and over but people continue to hand their money over to them.blink.gif

Well good for you. Do as the Attorney says and I am sure you will have the visa in no time flat. Good luck and God bless.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

What is AP? Addional Processing? What might cause that and how could I avoid it?

We had AP at the NVC but it only delayed it 3 or 4 days. I did not ask why we were being held when I called back to ask the file had been sent to the embassy the day before. I guess we got lucky some people take a few more weeks or months. The false rumors that go around are a lot I would assume jealousy I know Theary has everyone telling her what to do and think and I have to keep reminding her these are people who have been denied entry to the US or got visas to other countries not to listen to them. Good luck on your Journey

Daniel

K-1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

I-129F Sent : Feb 9,2011

I-129F Received :In Texas then sent to CSC Feb 11,2011

Check cashed and in Initial Review : Feb 16,2011

I-129F NOA1 Hard Copy : Feb 15 2011

TOUCHED 04/04/2011 Is it wrong to be happy to be touched by a stranger?

I-129F RFE(s) : None

I-129F NOA2 :05/27/2011

NVC Received :06/09/2011

NVC Left : 06/27/2011

Consulate Received : 07/01/2011

Packet 3 Received : 07/18/2011

Packet 3 Sent : 07/19/2011

Medical Exam : 07/19/2011

Packet 4 Received :07/25/2011

Interview Date :09/13/2011

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 09\16\2011

US Entry : 09\20\2011

Marriage :09/22/2011

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

; Every case is unique, SOME requires more attention from the Consulate/Embassy (AP) when they think some things are kinda fishy. Not saying it is, but they have to be strict to know that this case is 100% based on a true and genuine relationship.

Make sure, especially in a high-fraud country, that you collect as many evidence as you have. This way you will go with lot's of confident to an interview and less of a chance they'll put you in AP.

Good luck on your journey :thumbs:

holland-flag-44.gifunited-states-flag-88.gif

heart-119.gif August 28th, 2011: Wedding heart-119.giflove-182.gif

AOS
August 31th, 2011: applied for SS#
September 6th: received SS#
September 26th, 2011: AOS sent
September 30th, 2011: NOA1
October 6th, 2011: NOA1 hard copy
October 26th,2011: Biometrics
October 28th, 2011: case transferred to California for faster processing
December 5th, 2011: received EAD/AP card
February 22nd, 2012: Green card in production
February 27th, 2012: GREEN CARD in hand, yaaay!!!

November 10th, 2013: ROC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.