Mrs. Wells

NYC Marriage Certificate

8 posts in this topic

Have to hurry cause I'm at work. I need a certified copy of my marriage certificate for NVC, I also wanted to send one to my husband for the interview and keep the original safe here.

From my research it looks like a marriage record for NYC for visa/international purposes has to be taken to additional locations to have the signature authenticated. Does anyone know anything about this? I am freaking out. How do I get the document if I don't live in New York. My husband and I got married in Central Park as a meeting point for his family from England and mine from Georgia (where I currently am. Oh #######!

The original does not have any offical seals or special signatures so I don't even think that would work.

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Marriage (if applicable): 05/14/10

CSC

I-130 Sent : 04/04/11

I-130 NOA1 : 04/14/11

I-130 Approved :06/27/11

NVC

NVC Received : 08/03/11

Emailed DS-3032: 08/04/11

Received I-864 Bill :08/09/11

Pay I-864 Bill : 08/09/11

DS-3032 Accepted: 08/09/11

I-864 Marked 'Paid' : 08/10/11

Mail Completed I-864 : 08/11/11

Receive IV Bill : 08/11/11

Pay IV Bill : 08/11/11

Mail IV Package: 08/16/11

I-864/AOS Package Accepted: 08/19/11

False RFE: 08/19/11 (States IV Package is missing - Its there, somewhere)

IV Package Accepted: 08/25/11

Case Completed at NVC : 08/25/11

Interview Date Assigned: 09/12/11

NVC Left : xx/xx/xx

London

Medical: 09/13/11

Consulate Received : xx/xx/xx

Interview Date : 10/14/11

Interview Result : xx/xx/xx

Visa Received : xx/xx/xx

US Entry : xx/xx/xx

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 74 days from your NOA1 date.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bahamas
Timeline

Have to hurry cause I'm at work. I need a certified copy of my marriage certificate for NVC, I also wanted to send one to my husband for the interview and keep the original safe here.

From my research it looks like a marriage record for NYC for visa/international purposes has to be taken to additional locations to have the signature authenticated. Does anyone know anything about this? I am freaking out. How do I get the document if I don't live in New York. My husband and I got married in Central Park as a meeting point for his family from England and mine from Georgia (where I currently am. Oh #######!

The original does not have any offical seals or special signatures so I don't even think that would work.

you need to get a certified copy of your marriage certificate from the registrar of deeds in new york. I got mine in 10 minutes ( i live in north carolina )..now about the authentication stuff I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will help you out .

you need to get a certified copy of your marriage certificate from the registrar of deeds in new york. I got mine in 10 minutes ( i live in north carolina )..now about the authentication stuff I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will help you out .

Did you order it online. I did a quick search of NY 'register of deeds' and didn't see it but it was again an extremely quick search.

CSC

NVC

London

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The original marriage certificate from NYC works just fine--been there, done that. But be ABSOLUTELY sure it is the original, or you can get a certified copy form the city clerk office.

NYC does not use gold seals, raised seals, or other fancy stuff. Just read the fine print and you will see that it is authentic and therefore not a problem.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bahamas
Timeline

Did you order it online. I did a quick search of NY 'register of deeds' and didn't see it but it was again an extremely quick search.

no I just walked in..plus remember if you send them the original of anything they may keep it.

Thank you so much for your responses. This is why I am concerned:

http://www.cityclerk.nyc.gov/html/marriage/records.shtml

The fee for a Marriage Record for foreign use (extended certificate) is $35 for the first copy and $30 for each additional copy.

This fee includes the search, Certification, and Hand Signature with Raised Seal.

For the certificate to be valid outside the United States, you must complete two additional steps:

Step one: take the document to the nearest County Clerk's Office to authenticate the City Clerk's hand signature, for a fee of $3.

Find the locations of the Offices of the County Clerks

Step two: take the document to the New York State Department of State for the authentication of the County Clerk's signature and the attachment of an "Apostille," for a fee of $10.

The Department of State is located at:

123 William Street

19th Floor

New York, NY 10038

Magical - You didn't get an Apostille or anything of that nature? I assume a certified marriage certificate will be fine at the NVC because that is in America, I guess I am more concerned with my husband showing one at the U.S. embassy in London although maybe that isn't an issue because it is part of the U.S. government.

Monkey426 - So you were in NY when you walked in? I know I can obtain the certificate if I am in New York but I don't have the money to travel there just for the certificate.

CSC

NVC

London

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Nothing other than the original. You are not getting a certificate for use outside the US--the embassy is treated as part of the US, so no apostille is required. We did have to get an apostille for example for my wife's birth certificate from Mexico because that is definitely outside the country.

And don't worry about getting it back--all you have to do is ask.

Yeah: the US Embassy should accept the regular NYC certificates. They just do the extra authentication stuff for those countries which don't like the fact there's no seal :-)

You should definitely be able to get all original documents back at the interview. It is always worth having an extra copy though, so you always have one in your possession even when you need to send one off somewhere.

You can fill in the application online and mail it to NYC :-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.