JJship

Self-employed - created brand new company

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi,

How's everybody doing?

I used to work for a software company but was laid-off last Fall. Since March, my business partner and I had been developing a new company and getting it incorporated. We're at the final stages. So, except for my own investment into the company, we've yet to generate any revenue. Therefore, this year, there's no tax return to give them and we've yet to have any commercial ratings since we're new.

What should I put on the "income" section? Potential earnings?

Should I include my tax returns from previous years and all of the investments I've made into the company?

I do have other assets and will have a co-sponsor.

Do I need an extra co-sponsor?

Do you see any potential problems?

Thank you in advance and good luck to you all!!!

-- Jeff

I think you are on the right track with a co-sponsor.

If the co-sponsor meets 100-125% (country specific) of the income poverty guideline, then you only need one.

You may want to include your previous income and current asset information, to close the deal.

City: California/Bayern - Filed K-1 from China Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I would plan on having a co-sponsor unless you start generating a profit before the later stages of your K-1 process, and you are able to show that profit on your tax records. Your portion of the profit would need to be big enough to satisfy the minimum income requirement for sponsorship.

Edited by heathius

K-1 VISA:

3/4/06: I-129F Sent to CSC

3/14/06: NOA1

7/21/06: IMBRA RFE received by CSC

8/22/06: NOA2

9/8/06: Case arrives at NVC

9/16/06: NVC departure letter received

9/22/06: Left NVC bound for China

10/6/06: Case arrives at Guangzhou consulate

10/20/06: Received Packet 3

10/26/06: Sent DS-230 back to consulate

11/9/06: Sent OF-169 back to consulate

11/17/06: Received Packet 4

11/25/06: Completed Medical Exam in Beijing

12/15/06: Interview in Guangzhou (Success!!)

12/19/06: Received K-1 visa

1/12/07: Entered U.S. (POE: SFO)

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS:

1/26/07: Applied for SSN

2/8/07: Medical exam for vaccinations

2/9/07: Received SSN

3/3/07: Married!! (WooHoo!!)

3/16/07: Changed name on SSN

4/3/07: Sent AOS application to Chicago

4/5/07: AOS application arrived in Chicago

4/16/07: Received NOAs for AOS, EAD, & AP (NOA date: 4/12)

4/24/07: Received biometrics appt. letter

5/7/07: Biometrics appointment

5/25/07: Received interview appt. letter

6/25/07: Received AP documents

6/28/07: Received EAD card

7/18/07: AOS Interview (Approved!)

7/30/07: Received 2-year green card

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS:

4/24/09: I-751 sent to CSC

4/27/09: I-751 arrived at CSC

5/13/09: Received NOA letter (NOA date: 4/27)

6/4/09: Received biometrics appt. letter

6/13/09: Biometrics appointment

8/6/09: Card production ordered

8/12/09: Received card in mail

Filed: Timeline

Jeff,

Potential earnings do not pay today's expenses, and may not pay tomorrow's expenses either. Put real income, in your case apparently zero.

What's the point of showing money invested in the company? You are the sponsor, not the company. What's the point of showing money that you no longer have available to support your fiancee, unless you can get it all back by dissolving the company?

What do you mean "an extra co-sponsor"? What you need is a sponsor that the consular officer can feel comfortable with, who will actually give their money to support your wife should it be needed.

As for potential problems, what are your "other assets" and are they easily convertable into cash that you and your fiancee can live on?

Yodrak

Hi,

How's everybody doing?

I used to work for a software company but was laid-off last Fall. Since March, my business partner and I had been developing a new company and getting it incorporated. We're at the final stages. So, except for my own investment into the company, we've yet to generate any revenue. Therefore, this year, there's no tax return to give them and we've yet to have any commercial ratings since we're new.

What should I put on the "income" section? Potential earnings?

Should I include my tax returns from previous years and all of the investments I've made into the company?

I do have other assets and will have a co-sponsor.

Do I need an extra co-sponsor?

Do you see any potential problems?

Thank you in advance and good luck to you all!!!

-- Jeff

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Based on your feedback, I think we'll be ok. Luckily, I've have been saving for these "rainy" days. My other assets (stocks, mutual funds, savings) are fairly liquid. I do have an uncle and aunt who have agreed to be my co-sponsor.

Thanks again.

-- Jeff

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.