erika and taylor

Getting health insurance for your K1 beneficiary...

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Anyone had experience with this? The HR department at work is telling me that, once we marry, my fiance still won't be eligible for health benefits through my work until she receives her green card. Has anyone else been through this? Is this normal?

My fiance might be pregnant (gasp!) and, even if she isn't, will need access to some sort of medical coverage prior to getting her green card. There has to be some sort of intermediate coverage for K1 visa holders awaiting a green card. Any tips/suggestions??

That was not our experience, but it does vary from company to company. I would contact your insurance company directly and ask instead of relying on what HR is telling you.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I don't think that's the case, and it may depend on state laws if they can deny her coverage. If she has a valid SS# that should be all that's required. I would contact the health insurance provider directly, as HR may be mistaken.

AOS Mailed 5-02-2010

NOA1 5-12-2010

Forward CSC 6-06-2010

Biometrics 6-16-2010

AOS Touch 7-10-2010

EAD Approve 7-21-2010

EAD Arrival 7-30-2010

Greencard Approve 9-08-2010

Greencard Arrives 9-15-2010

No Interview

ROC Mailed 6-12-2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thanks everyone for your input.

The insurance company representative was thoroughly unhelpful, quoting the language that she must be "lawful" before being eligible and that it is up to the company's plan administrator to interpret "lawful." You HAVE to be kidding me!! Thanks a lot CIGNA.

Anyway, the good news is that the HR group reversed course and said my fiance will be available whenever we marry. Whew!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thanks everyone for your input.

The insurance company representative was thoroughly unhelpful, quoting the language that she must be "lawful" before being eligible and that it is up to the company's plan administrator to interpret "lawful." You HAVE to be kidding me!! Thanks a lot CIGNA.

Anyway, the good news is that the HR group reversed course and said my fiance will be available whenever we marry. Whew!

Go apply for her ss number a couple of weeks after she arrives. That should be enough time for her name to be in their system, and it will be easier to deal with the insurance company once if she already has the number. Glad to hear that they got the right info and will make her eligible as soon as you are married!

event.png

lack of green card should have NO affect on whether you can place her on your benefits. I work in HR. Although enrollment policies can differ from location to location generally you have to wait until you're married, but once you're married you have 30 days to enroll her and / or her children into your benefits plan. In some places you can add someone based on a "domestic partner" clause, but since she's here on a K1 you'll have to marry within 90 days it should be easier to just get married and fill out the paperwork with your employer to have her placed on your benefits. If she's pregnant I would marry her and enroll her on my benefits plan before we took any kind of a honeymoon. When you sign her up the effective date can be the date of marriage. Just a suggestion. Good luck.

Edited by Breezy & Me

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.