Maringo

NVC Process- Questions

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello there:

we got our NOA2 from USCIS and after a few weeks (3 to be precise), NVC got the case and I was given the case # via the phone and updated everyone's email info

My wife (the benefeciary) has emailed the DS 3032 from a sample we found.

we have received 2 emails from them : AOS fee payment (status is processing) and we receivd the DS3032 via email as well.

I have two questions:

1- do we need to fill out the DS 3032? or is it just and automatic message that comes through anyway (?)

2- may I send the i-864 as soon as I get the cover sheet . ie: once the payment status becomes PAID or should I wait for the letter?

I promise everyone that I have read a lot and somehow I cannot find this info...please help! :help:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Send the I-864 as soon as you have the bar code sheet--no need to wait for anything--in fact, we never got anything, and sent in the I-864 a week or so after the bar code was available.

Doesn't hurt to send the I-3032 a second time, but the turnaround time is usually very quick--a few days--so if you sent the template, you should be OK. If it takes more than a week, send the actual 3032 they sent you just in case--being serious Type A folks, we sent both at the same time, and our turnaround time was less than 24 hours--seriously..

Exciting, isn't it !!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

do you want to do Electronic Processing at NVC for Montreal/Canada?

If so - follow this Handy HowTo from Saylin -> http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_for_Montreal_Beneficiaries_–_Electronic_Processing_and_New_Online_Forms

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

do you want to do Electronic Processing at NVC for Montreal/Canada?

If so - follow this Handy HowTo from Saylin -> http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_for_Montreal_Beneficiaries_–_Electronic_Processing_and_New_Online_Forms

I was on the phone right now with NVC and I was asking them if this is advantageous...she said that it will only eliminate mailing stuff. are there other advantages?

from the link you shared, the optin takes 20 days or so to go into effect. will this actually slow me down since I could send the i-864 in a few days.

btw, this is the most stupid question you'll ever see: I am not sure if I am applying for K3 or CR1/CR3 (what is the difference)?

I have my I-130 approved by USCIS. (thats the only indication i could give you)

..please be gentle..hehe :P

Edited by Maringo

Timeline

Send the I-864 as soon as you have the bar code sheet--no need to wait for anything--in fact, we never got anything, and sent in the I-864 a week or so after the bar code was available.

Doesn't hurt to send the I-3032 a second time, but the turnaround time is usually very quick--a few days--so if you sent the template, you should be OK. If it takes more than a week, send the actual 3032 they sent you just in case--being serious Type A folks, we sent both at the same time, and our turnaround time was less than 24 hours--seriously..

Exciting, isn't it !!!

it is ...I can't wait though ..neither does my wife! :blush:

Timeline

K-3 implies you have an approved I-129F and an approved I-130 and NVC somehow got in the approved I-129F prior to receiving the approved I-130, forwarding the I-129F on to the Embassy for further processing.

CR-1/IR-1 implies you have an approved I-130 and will be during NVC document intake for an Immigrant Visa, with some final interview at the Consulate in Montreal.

If you not have any I-129F in play, don't worry about the K-3 visa.

If you DO have an I-129F in play, be wary - it'll prolly travel to NVC with the approved I-130, and NVC will administratively close the I-129F, because the BASIS for a K-3, an unapproved I-130 petition, doesn't exist anymore.

Personally I prefer IR-1/CR-1 over any K-3 visa - as there's extra paperwork to do, extra monies to spend, to actually get a green card and SSN once a K-3 visa holder has arrived in USA.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

K-3 implies you have an approved I-129F and an approved I-130 and NVC somehow got in the approved I-129F prior to receiving the approved I-130, forwarding the I-129F on to the Embassy for further processing.

CR-1/IR-1 implies you have an approved I-130 and will be during NVC document intake for an Immigrant Visa, with some final interview at the Consulate in Montreal.

If you not have any I-129F in play, don't worry about the K-3 visa.

If you DO have an I-129F in play, be wary - it'll prolly travel to NVC with the approved I-130, and NVC will administratively close the I-129F, because the BASIS for a K-3, an unapproved I-130 petition, doesn't exist anymore.

Personally I prefer IR-1/CR-1 over any K-3 visa - as there's extra paperwork to do, extra monies to spend, to actually get a green card and SSN once a K-3 visa holder has arrived in USA.

Awesome answer. thx my friend! :)

what about this part, any recommendations?

I was on the phone right now with NVC and I was asking them if this is advantageous...she said that it will only eliminate mailing stuff. are there other advantages?

from the link you shared, the optin takes 20 days or so to go into effect. will this actually slow me down since I could send the i-864 in a few days.

Timeline

sorry, I'm not any Canada Subject Matter Expert - you could hunt down Saylin's posts, though, via member search tool.

Hi, Saylin here :)

You can send the I-864 as soon as the AOS bill appears as PAID. That's what I did. I did the same thing with the supporting documents for the IV. But, after a week from my optin acceptance, the NVC operator said they hadn't received my packages yet and told me to re-send, so I did. All in all, I was in NVC for 37 days, which is short compared to some times I've seen.

Choosing to do EP is up to you. You might get your packages reviewed faster if you snail mail them. But I have seen where people have gotten optin acceptance within a few business days and not 17 days like it was for me. It all depends on how busy NVC's email server and how long it takes to get to your email.

Some advantages to EP: no money spent on sending the packages, if you get an RFE, you can email the response instantly, and you get a case complete email (non-EP folks don't get this).

Disadvantages: depending on how busy NVC is, it can take awhile to get to your optin email, as well as your packages, and you might have to re-send packages as the email system seems to go wonky at times and NVC never receives your packages, even after optin acceptance.

Timeline

Thanks Saylin!!!

what if I send the i-864 by snail mail and optin as well..will they get "confused"?

while I was reading your timeline, it says that you emailed the i-864 package. so what if it is snail mail. I wonder?

thanks

Timeline

email not equal snail mail. snail mail always equals postal mail.

if you did send in I-864 via snail mail, and then opted in, you'd be sending in the I-864 packet again, via email.

So, if OPTING IN to NVC EP is on yer horizon, scan the I-864 packet prior to posting it via snail mail -

OPT IN in midstream is allowed, but it forces a 'restart' on document intake, NVC will not scan yer stuff received via postal mail, will not add it to the EP version of the casefile.

Thanks Saylin!!!

what if I send the i-864 by snail mail and optin as well..will they get "confused"?

while I was reading your timeline, it says that you emailed the i-864 package. so what if it is snail mail. I wonder?

thanks

If you're gonna snail mail your two packages in, DO NOT optin. Optin is if you want to do EP. If you optin and then snail mail a package, NVC will reject it.

So decide now if you want to do EP or not. If you do, send the optin email. If you don't, then don't send the optin email.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.