USColombia

Colombia Club Part III

443 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hey guys, my wife is having problems calling the doctors for the appointment using the numbers in the instructions. She is saying that the lines are busy or they are numbers to residential areas.

Which numbers did you use? Please let me know

Thanks!

Timeline

We are using phone numbers from the immigrant visa packet 4 on the embassy website.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/colombia/231771/PDFs/ivpkt4appointmentjune2011englishrev.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

We are using phone numbers from the immigrant visa packet 4 on the embassy website.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/colombia/231771/PDFs/ivpkt4appointmentjune2011englishrev.pdf

If she is in paisa teritory, Does she know she needs to dial the Bogota Area Code?

Also, they do ring busy often, but usually you can get through after a short time.. You have to keep trying..

Also, you could try calling them from the US as well..

Kenny

Timeline

If she is in paisa teritory, Does she know she needs to dial the Bogota Area Code?

Also, they do ring busy often, but usually you can get through after a short time.. You have to keep trying..

Also, you could try calling them from the US as well..

Kenny

Right when I saw your reply my wife calls me to tell me she got an appointment, line was really busy. Thanks!

Weird thing is that the female doctor listed in the packet on the embassy website (dated June 2011) is different from the one on the medical instructions on the DoS website (dated Oct 2011). When I called DoS they told me to go with the embassy instructions. I'm going to confirm with the embassy because it would suck if we give them results from a doctor that is "not in the instructions".

Timeline

My wife's case was completed on September 12.

We are also looking forward to hearing from the Embassy.

I'll make a post whenever we do hear from them to setup the interview.

My case was completed on the 19th of sept. So I'm hoping they'll call to set an interview for my wife in the beginning of nov. for a dec interview date.

Timeline

It was kind of difficult for me to figure out how to explain what a transcript is. Ultimately, I think I got it across, though she is asking me if it is a, b, or c. Does anyone know how to explain what a transcript is in Spanish. Heck, I'm not really sure what it even is in English.... something that shows all the courses one took in University and their grades? Is that correct?

Check with your local courthouse to find out what she will need to get married, usually her passport is more than enough. If you're having a religious wedding then you will need to check with your church to find out what they need. For AOS she will need a copy of her birth certificate and a copy of the translation. If she wants to continue her studies here in the US I strongly recommend she gets transcripts from each school so they can be evaluated here in the US. This is the one thing my husband did not do and it has been a complete nightmare trying to get his universities to issue his transcripts, we're now at a point where the only way to get them is for him to go there in person.

Diana

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bogota, Colombia

I-129F Sent : 2011-04-27

Timeline

It was kind of difficult for me to figure out how to explain what a transcript is. Ultimately, I think I got it across, though she is asking me if it is a, b, or c. Does anyone know how to explain what a transcript is in Spanish. Heck, I'm not really sure what it even is in English.... something that shows all the courses one took in University and their grades? Is that correct?

I dont know.. I asked my wife about hers, she couldnt answer me or seemed to look at me funny.. My wife is hearing from the local adult ed ctr that she needs to take her GED..

Any experiences anyone else has with this?

Kenny

Timeline

I'd probably try to describe to my wife a transcript like this: "Amor, cuando tomaste cursos en colegio/universidad, te dieron un papel/archivo oficial que muestra las fechas que atendiste, los cursos que tomaste, y las marcas que sacaste? Es que necesitamos evidencia que estabas alla"

That might get the ball rolling... You could also ask her for a graduation certificate to start pointing in the right direction

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

It will help if you visit places like World Education Services which are the ones you contact to have your degree and course load evaluated. If you go to the Required Documents section and select Colombia, you will see that they call school transcripts: Certificado de notas or Certificado de calificaciones.

The reason why so many people don't understand what this is is because not a lot of them request them from their schools, and many schools are not familiar with the process either which is the reason why my husband has to go in person to see if he can get them himself.

Diana

Edited by Mononoke28

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I dont know.. I asked my wife about hers, she couldnt answer me or seemed to look at me funny.. My wife is hearing from the local adult ed ctr that she needs to take her GED..

Any experiences anyone else has with this?

Kenny

Well, it depends on how far she went to school in Colombia. If she finished college or has some college and wants to continue here studies she would need to have her transcripts evaluated to see where she would be at in the US. The best thing would be for her to go to the college she's interested in to see what they suggest, but the first thing they say is that all school transcripts need to be evaluated.

If she didn't go to college but has her high school diploma, she can also have her school transcripts evaluated or simply take the GED here in the US. Taking the GED would be easier because all she would have to show at any college would be her HS diploma from the US which is the reason why I think the people she talked to told her it was an option for her.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

Thanks for all the responses. I know that Certificado de notas is one of the 3 choices. Certificado de calificaciones might have been one of them as well. I do remember that she said they charge for it by each year or trimester etc so she wanted to confirm exactly what I was asking her for.

thanks for the responses.

It will help if you visit places like World Education Services which are the ones you contact to have your degree and course load evaluated. If you go to the Required Documents section and select Colombia, you will see that they call school transcripts: Certificado de notas or Certificado de calificaciones.

The reason why so many people don't understand what this is is because not a lot of them request them from their schools, and many schools are not familiar with the process either which is the reason why my husband has to go in person to see if he can get them himself.

Diana

Timeline

Even though my fiance does not live in Bogota, if we were to have the passport with Visa sent to one of the DHL facilities in Bogota would it just sit there until she picked it up? I'm trying to book flights and since she will be leaving colombia from Bogota on an evening flight it gives us time to go get it from the DHL facility in the daytime on the day of our flight. I am thinking that by having it sent to a DHL facility in Bogota might be smarter. On the other hand, what if it just sits there for a week... would they just hold onto it?

Edited by Ready to do it

Timeline

Our interview is scheduled for the end of December.

:)

Timeline

What was your date??

We just received our interview date yesterday afternoon

Service Center :California Service Center

Consulate: Bogota, Colombia

Marriage: 2010-07-21

I-130 Sent: 2010-10-02

I-130 NOA1: 2010-10-10

I-130 Approved: 2010-11-22

NVC Received Payments: 06-23-2011

NVC Rejected Packet Due to Errors: 06-30-2011

NVC Packet Resent: 2011-09-01

NVC Received: 2011-09-19

Case Completed: 2011-09-21

5 Day trip to see my wife...chevere!: 10/27/2011

Trip Ends, sad goodbye 11/2/2011

Interview Date Appointed 11/2/2011

Medical Exam 12/15/2011

Interview Date 12/22/2011

(Approved!)

Wife comes home 01/19/12

Nov. 22nd 2010...Thus began the immigration nightmare...AGAIN

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.