maspablo

newbie , Where to start ? K 3 advise

28 posts in this topic

I am planning to head to Indonesia in next month or so , and hope to get this right either way here or there .ASAP

I have emailed US consulate in Jakarta for DCF information . and I am reading all , and every thing i can find

You guys are awesome ! quick

yes , I was married in Indonesia , (Bali) Tabanan . It was a muslem ceremony . we do have documentation.

i

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I am planning to head to Indonesia in next month or so , and hope to get this right either way here or there .ASAP

I have emailed US consulate in Jakarta for DCF information . and I am reading all , and every thing i can find

yes , I was married in Indonesia , (Bali) Tabanan . It was a muslem ceremony . we do have documentation.

i

How cool---thanks William!!

maspablo, please read, re-read and then read the DCF Guide again, and pleeeease tell me you didn't write to Jakarta and ask about "DCF"??? :)

Slow down, make a list and you can knock this thing out in no time. OK, make two lists. There's always something extra. :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Here, you answered your very first question yourself. A lawyer wouldn't have given you all that attention and answers in so much detail and in so little time, even after charging you $$$$$.

Best of Luck everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed Jakarta office of US embassy and was told I am allowed to file for a DCF . The marriage took place in Indonesia , making me eligible.

I also consulted w/ a lawyer . ( for i-864 and and employment questions) .

The main issue my consul said I will have is " why have I waited almost 2 years to file?" .( married 11/4)

He recommended copies of all correspondence , phone bills and such . etc. Also , have a decent reason why waited for 2 years. employment issues and such ??

Does , anyone have any experience w/ problem waiting 2 years ?. We have spent well over 150 days together , and know each other pretty good . I know it will show .

Edited by maspablo

I am not absolutely sure how useful this is as you are now considering doing DCF rather than K3/IR-1, however my USC and I were married 1 year before we filed and it had no bearing on our journey at all.

Good luck to you and hope you have a fast and smooth journey :D

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline
I emailed Jakarta office of US embassy and was told I am allowed to file for a DCF . The marriage took place in Indonesia , making me eligible.

I also consulted w/ a lawyer . ( for i-864 and and employment questions) .

The main issue my consul said I will have is " why have I waited almost 2 years to file?" .( married 11/4)

He recommended copies of all correspondence , phone bills and such . etc. Also , have a decent reason why waited for 2 years. employment issues and such ??

Does , anyone have any experience w/ problem waiting 2 years ?. We have spent well over 150 days together , and know each other pretty good . I know it will show .

mas, great news!

fyi consul=the guy/gal who works at the consulate. Also known as a Consular Officer or CO.

Counsel = your lawyer. Is it your lawyer who said there might be an issue with your filing delay?

I would not make a big thing of it. Lotso f people file later than sooner... there IS a big world out there! :)

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

• 3 weeks later...

I am finally getting things done , thanks to this board . and especially a few of you !!

this might belong on DCF board , but i started it here.

I got to Jakarta Oct 10th went straight to embassy with my I-130 and my wife was granted a interview the following week , which will be next thursday Oct 19th .

Right now I am completing 864 and DS-230 .

As i was told by lawyer consulted with , the US officer @ embassy did ask why we waited to file for so long , we told combination of her job , my travel(work) and financial reasons . he didnt seem bothered by it

He also asked if when she was granted visa , if she wanted to wait until after 2 year anniversary of marriage , she would be granted permanet visa , instead of temporary visa if we (she) wanted to

travel immediately . With out saying it , I got the point it would be less complicated if we waited to travel until after the 2 year date from the wedding . ???

the interview is next week , the "official " anniversary date is Jan 5 2007 . so I guess, if interview goes well we could get visa after Jan 5th for travel to US.

Timeline
He also asked if when she was granted visa , if she wanted to wait until after 2 year anniversary of marriage , she would be granted permanet visa , instead of temporary visa if we (she) wanted to

travel immediately . With out saying it , I got the point it would be less complicated if we waited to travel until after the 2 year date from the wedding . ???

the interview is next week , the "official " anniversary date is Jan 5 2007 . so I guess, if interview goes well we could get visa after Jan 5th for travel to US.

Great news, maspablo--glad to hear it is all working out!

You can get the same benefit, if you choose, by interviewing and accepting a visa now, but traveling after your 2nd wedding anniversary.

The primary benefit to skipping ahead to the 10 year card vs the 2 year one is the (current) cost of $205. It's really not a big deal otherwise.

Chug along and see how it goes. The visa will be valid for 6 months from issue date; you can travel any time in that 6 months.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Filed: Timeline

Dont bother in wasting your money. I wish I would not have bothered as the lawyer was a waste of our hard earned dollars. They will charge you just to fill in paper work that you can do your self. Best of luck to you and your SO on your journey and welcome to VJ. (F)

i am putting finishing touches on I 864 (affadavid of support ) that I am handing in tommorow . I havent yet filed taxes for one of the previous 2 years , i am worried if I put down income that is not up to 125 % of poverty level , it will affect me negatively on visa decision .? any thoughts ?

for 05 and 04 i made over 125 % , 03 would be less .( when i file taxes) and when i put down on I 864

i have talked to my accountant , and he is worried whatever number i put down for 03 i must stick with when i file taxes .

I know this is short notice , but all happened so fast.... doing DCF in Indonesia . interview is thursday Oct 19th . in 3 days

I -130 to interview in a week .

Edited by maspablo

Timeline
i am putting finishing touches on I 864 (affadavid of support ) that I am handing in tommorow . I havent yet filed taxes for one of the previous 2 years , i am worried if I put down income that is not up to 125 % of poverty level , it will affect me negatively on visa decision .? any thoughts ?

for 05 and 04 i made over 125 % , 03 would be less .( when i file taxes) and when i put down on I 864

i have talked to my accountant , and he is worried whatever number i put down for 03 i must stick with when i file taxes .

I know this is short notice , but all happened so fast.... doing DCF in Indonesia . interview is thursday Oct 19th . in 3 days

mp,

There is no requirement that all three years of returns be at/above 125%. Mine certainly weren't--I had been on a break for a couple of years when I filed. they are most interested in what you are doing now, and what you'll be doing next month (if you have any evidence to support that).

Take your accountant's advice on this one; file your return truthfully and don't pay Uncle Sam more than you need to.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

maspablo,

Which year, of the last two years have you not filed taxes?

If you have not filed your 2005 taxes, the Consular Officer will want to know why. Be prepared to provide a written statement, explaining legitimately, why you are not required to file yet. They are most interested in the 2005 tax filing, that meets or exceeds the 125% level. Do you have a current letter from your employer and pay statements with you? These will help to satisfy this requirement.

BTW, I told you Jakarta was lightning fast with DCF. :thumbs:

I have filed 05 and i have the return , i am fine there . I havent filed 03 . and they are asking for 2 previous years 's #'s. So it looks like i have to commit to a number for 03 . they dont want return , they want income . hope i am clearer .

thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.