kaibosh

Anyone bring their car to California?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Looking for anyone who has brought their car to cali before.

I own my car and plan on driving it across, its an 05 chevy, I know I have to go to chevy and get the emissions tested as well as a sticker and letter stating that all recalls have been performed and it meets US regulations.

Once I get their tho is where my questions are, my insurance agent in BC has told me that I have 30 days from once I move until I have to mail back my plates to BC?? Now, am I able to get a cali drivers license without a SSN? Can I insure the car? Would the easiest thing be to have my fiance insure the car?

Any help would be appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

depends on the insurance but ours let me insure my car with my husbands plan and they just collected my SSN# after I got it in the mail. They had no problems doing this.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

You might apply for the international driving license before you leave BC. You have AAA there I believe and if you do, can get photos and license thru them. I got mine from AAA before going to Morocco.

I own my car and plan on driving it across, its an 05 chevy, I know I have to go to chevy and get the emissions tested as well as a sticker and letter stating that all recalls have been performed and it meets US regulations.

Once I get their tho is where my questions are, my insurance agent in BC has told me that I have 30 days from once I move until I have to mail back my plates to BC?? Now, am I able to get a cali drivers license without a SSN? Can I insure the car? Would the easiest thing be to have my fiance insure the car?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The California Vehicle code requires the DMV to collect your SSN federal law also allows any state to use a person's SSN for the purpose of establishing His/Her identification.This process adds to the accuracy,reliability,and integrity of DMV's data base.If you are legally present in the U.S. but ineligible for an SSN you are exempt from SSN requirements.However,you must still provide an acceptable documents.I dont think you can insure your car without a CA.driver's licensed,Once eligibility status is verified DMV will complete your application.

Edited by matuk tuokan

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You might apply for the international driving license before you leave BC. You have AAA there I believe and if you do, can get photos and license thru them. I got mine from AAA before going to Morocco.

International driver's license may not permitted in California.You can not insure a vehicle using international driver license.

Filed: Timeline

The car has to meet California emissions as well, or pay an impact fee. Used to be $400.00. I don't know what it is these days. Look for a sticker under the hood, and it will tell you whether it meets Federal Emission Standards, California Emission Standards, or Both California and Federal Emission Standards.

http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/newvehicle.htm

Edited by Some Old Guy

Timeline

Not needed Canada has in place an agreement with drivers licenses. We can drive legally for 60 days in the US on Canadian license.

Also an agreement on changing over the drivers license but California does not observe this and it is a little more difficult than some states to just change a CND DL to a US CALI state DL.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Timeline

The California Vehicle code requires the DMV to collect your SSN federal law also allows any state to use a person's SSN for the purpose of establishing His/Her identification.This process adds to the accuracy,reliability,and integrity of DMV's data base.If you are legally present in the U.S. but ineligible for an SSN you are exempt from SSN requirements.However,you must still provide an acceptable documents.I dont think you can insure your car without a CA.driver's licensed,Once eligibility status is verified DMV will complete your application.

So basically I can't get a CA license until I get a ssn number? which could be 3 months or longer once I enter the Us?

Timeline

So basically I can't get a CA license until I get a ssn number? which could be 3 months or longer once I enter the Us?

Why 3 months or longer! you can apply 2 weeks after entry for an SSN.

Timeline

Why 3 months or longer! you can apply 2 weeks after entry for an SSN.

Just looking at the SSN application now, says if you check off unable to work you need a letter fromt he gov't explaining why you need a SSN? How did you get this?

Timeline

Just looking at the SSN application now, says if you check off unable to work you need a letter fromt he gov't explaining why you need a SSN? How did you get this?

K-1 is eligible to get an SSN you put "able to work" because you are able to work with an EAD.

K-1s are entitled to SSNs after entry before or after marriage.

I got my SSN without an EAD with out a green card and applied the day after I married which was 2 weeks after entry.

Most if not all people apply for the SSN 2 weeks after entry because you need it to be put on insurance or bank accounts etc for proof for the AOS papers.

Here is the guide to applying for SSN. http://www.visajourney.com/content/ssn

Timeline

I brought my car here. Heres a few things to keep in mind. They will not issue you a new license without an EAD or greencard to show your status, even on a K1, though you can get a SSN on your K1 (I got mine about 10 days after entering). The DMV portion does not recognize your status until you have an EAD in hand at least (for the DL portion). However I was told you can register your car in CA without a DL (they never asked me for mine when I went to register it). You MUST get your DL and register your car within 10 days of aquiring your status (getting your EAD or greencard, whichever is first) or they will charge you an arm and a leg in late registration fees. Until that time that you are able to do all of these, I would recommend trying not to drive around too much if you can help it, and when you do, obey all the laws to a T. The cops view the time of your residency as when you move, unlike the DMV who is unable to determine your residency until you have the proper papers. You will have to take the written and driven portion again.

Edited by Danu

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You soon learn that their is no "United" in United Sates,lol Especially when it comes to getting and licensing your car! Good luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Danu - wow that sucks, how long did it take for your wad or gc? I can still get plates tho correct? My IcBC rep has told me numberous times I must mail back the plates, which sounds odd to me, I still have my old Ontario plates.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.