monyfer

Worthwhile to make InfoPass appointment for delayed K-1 Approval?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

As many of you know, I have been told for the past few months that our case is still undergoing "background checks" and to check back in six months. Every time I manage to get through to someone to put in a service request for an update, we get the same response, and they start the time line over and say "six months". So at first it was six months from April...then from May...anyway we filed 8 and a half months ago and no NOA2 yet.

We are getting no where. My Congressman's aide has been in touch with VSC and they tell her the same thing - undergoing background checks, cannot be expedited, check back for the latest status in six months. We have no idea what the hold up is. I have explained in other threads, neither of us have a criminal background, and my fiance already has a valid tourist visa to the US that was issued in 2005 and is valid until 2015. So, clearly, he does not have any criminal past.

I called USCIS again yesterday, always with the hope of some bit of information. The woman yesterday suggested I could schedule an InfoPass appointment to get some more information since she can't see beyond what is on the computer.

Has anyone done this for this type of situation/delay? Will they be able to tell me what the hold up is if I go to an InfoPass appointment? I just want to know if the hold up is a false name hit or what, and how long it may take to resolve. We need to know if this is worth waiting out or not - because we will not wait if it really is another six months (and then who knows, six months beyond that).

Thoughts?

K-1 Visa Journey

October 1, 2010: I-129F sent

October 5, 2010: I-129F received

October 12, 2010: NOA1 e-mail received, routed to VSC

October 16, 2010: NOA1 hard copy received (dated October 7, 2010)

April 18, 2011: RFE e-mail

April 20, 2011: RFE hardcopy received

April 20, 2011: RFE response sent to VSC

May 2, 2011: E-mail confirming VSC has received RFE response

July 27, 2011: NOA2 e-mail received (9 months, 2 weeks, and 6 days (292 days) after NOA1

July 30, 2011: NOA2 hard copy

August 4, 2011: NVC received case

August 8, 2011: NVC forwarded case to US Consulate in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico

August 8, 2011: Consulate received case

August 25, 2011: Consulate mailed packet 3

September 3, 2011: Received Packet 3 in US

September 20, 2011: Interview! Not enough information in the system to make a decision

September 26, 2011: K1 visa approved and received via DHL

October 20, 2011: POE at Phoenix, Arizona

October 26, 2011: Married

AOS Journey

11-7-2011 - AOS package sent to lockbox in Chicago, IL

11-9-2011 - AOS package delivered and signed for

11-15-2011 - NOA1 e-mails received (NOA1 date November 10), routed to NBC

11-16-2011 - Check Cashed

11-21-2011 - Hard Copies & Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

11-29-2011 - Biometrics done via walk-in! (Originally scheduled for 12/14/11)

12-2-2011 - Case transferred to CSC

1-17-2012 - EAD/AP Card Production Ordered

1-25-2012 - EAD/AP card received in mail

3-7-2012 - RFE issued

3-19-2012 - RFE response received by CSC

4-4-2012 - Green Card Production!

4-10-12 - GC received in mail

January 3, 2014: ROC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I'm not an expert but I feel like it couldn't hurt to make the appointment-- they might not be able to tell you anything either but maybe they can, and I always feel like people are more likely to help you in person rather than over the phone..

I see that your local office is in Philly, I did my biometrics there. They seem like a very nice bunch, so yeah maybe its worth a shot? I can't believe you have been waiting this long.. Best of luck!

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'd give it a try. At the worst they will say they can't tell you anything and you will be in the same place that you are. At the best they will be able to give you some information, or perhaps your in-person inquiry might 'shake loose' the application from the desk on which it is currently languishing.

Good luck to you.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

As many of you know, I have been told for the past few months that our case is still undergoing "background checks" and to check back in six months. Every time I manage to get through to someone to put in a service request for an update, we get the same response, and they start the time line over and say "six months". So at first it was six months from April...then from May...anyway we filed 8 and a half months ago and no NOA2 yet.

We are getting no where. My Congressman's aide has been in touch with VSC and they tell her the same thing - undergoing background checks, cannot be expedited, check back for the latest status in six months. We have no idea what the hold up is. I have explained in other threads, neither of us have a criminal background, and my fiance already has a valid tourist visa to the US that was issued in 2005 and is valid until 2015. So, clearly, he does not have any criminal past.

I called USCIS again yesterday, always with the hope of some bit of information. The woman yesterday suggested I could schedule an InfoPass appointment to get some more information since she can't see beyond what is on the computer.

Has anyone done this for this type of situation/delay? Will they be able to tell me what the hold up is if I go to an InfoPass appointment? I just want to know if the hold up is a false name hit or what, and how long it may take to resolve. We need to know if this is worth waiting out or not - because we will not wait if it really is another six months (and then who knows, six months beyond that).

Thoughts?

You'll get to talk face to face with a real person,which may make you feel better. But I mean I think mostly they will tell you whats on their computer. I think the thing with the background checks can be that its not even USCIS doing it. They probably had to give the request to another organization who owns that database, and other organizations responsible for other databasess, and you don't know what their priorities are. I mean who knows it may be stuck on someones desk cause there was some urgent investigation going on thats higher priorit than a USCIS case.

Don't know what to say except it is an awful situation the be in. We can only hope that this limbo nightmare ends for you soon! (F)

NOA1 - 12/21/15

NOA2 - 04/18/16

NVC Receive - 04/29/16

NVC Welcome - 05/13/16

DS-261 - 05/14/16

AOS, IV PAID - 05/27/16

DS260 done - 06/10/16

Case Transferred to US Embassy in Riga Latvia at the end of October.

If you really want it, you'll find a way!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thoughts?

I'm sorry. I thought when I seen your Post it was good news. Not the case I see now. It is TRUE that a Operator for USCIS cannot see your entire File/Petition. I recommend the InfoPass Appointment.

A Criminal Background Check does not take 8 months and they want more Information before your NOA2 approval. In addition, want to add more time. That is Strange and not normal. If it was a Criminal Background Issue in the Original NOA1 they have the right to Interview/Fingerprint. This has never been said but yet, your time passes with No Approval and No such request from USCIS. Your best hope for now is to Make an Appointment for the InfoPass.

I seen One Post that recommended Just get married. I disagree for now due to the fact if the Hold-up is Criminal Background Checks it will not change anything. Moreover, Requiring the Cancellation if the Original 129-F will result in Paying the Fees allover again and a New Petition. And guess what. You are where you started 8 Months ago. MAKE A INFOPASS Appointment and see what happens. God Bless and Good Luck.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just out of curiosity, since he has a tourist visa , why noy travel on that get married and file aos?

1) Illegal

2) Illegal

3) Illegal

Also, it wouldn't go over very well IF they did that seeing as they have a K-1 pending so if he was even let in the country at the POE, they would not be happy if they did what you suggested.

Hope you get your NOA2 soon monyfer, what is going on is complete BS.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

I don’t see any problem of using the InfoPass service. I used it and the outcome was good. At least the people working there can request more information or service from USCIS in behave of you. I remember I got a respond in less than a week from USCIS on the case that was on pending for almost two months. I advise you to do it. There is nothing worst could happen.

GOOD LUCK

K-1 Time Line

Service Center:_California Service Center

Consulate: _Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F Sent: _2011-03-20

I-129F NOA1:_ 2011-03-30

I-129F NOA2:_2011-06-18

NVC Received: _2011-07-19

NVC Left:_2011-07-20

Consulate Received:_2011-07-25

Packet 3 Received: _2011-07-28

Packet 3 Sent: _2011-07-29

Packet 4 Received:_ 2011-08-09

Interview Date: _ 2011-08-24

Interview Result:_ Approved(After 3 weeks AP)

Visa Received:_2011-09-21

US Entry:_@ JFK 2011-11-16

Marriage: _2011-12-20

AOS, EAD, AP

Date Filed: _2012-02-07

NOA Date: _2012-02-13

Bio. Appt. Notice recieved_2012-02-17

Bio. Appt.:2012-03-12@ 8:00 AM in Columbus OH

Bio Done:2012-03-05 WALK IN- Columbus OH

State ID: 2012-03-05

DL Permit: 2012-03-08

AOS Transfer: 2012-03-14

AOS Touched @ USCIS: 2012-03-21

EAD/AP Approved & Card Producton: 2012-04-03

EAD/AP on Hand:2012-04-11

AOS_RFE: 2012-09-28

RFE Sent: 2012-11-09

I would make infopass and also try a representative - they are usually more interested in this sort of thing than a congressperson.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just out of curiosity, since he has a tourist visa , why noy travel on that get married and file aos?

Because that is visa fraud.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thoughts?

Your wait time has been ridiculous. Go ahead and make the InfoPass appointment. Someone needs to be able to tell you SOMETHING already, sheesh. It cannot hurt you, and I hope it actually helps. I am sorry you are having to go through this massive waiting limbo hell. I wish you guys luck with getting some info out of this, finally.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I made one, as my application was misplaced or in AP, and no one seemed to know where it was. Infopasses answer:" We can't help with that type of visa, call USCIS or NVC." Glad I paid $22 for parking. NVC gave me a different story every time.

A lawyer had mine out in less than a week. He spoke with a supervisor at the NVC who had it out exactly when it was guaranteed.

Good luck.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thoughts?

My K 3 case took 408 days. You arent even close to that at this point. Lets hope I continue to hold some sort of record. Like you we didnt have anything in our background that would cause any type of delay. My husband wants to finish this responce.

It should be noted that out of the 408 days Ning counted a mistake made by me cost us 60. This means the case could have been approved in 348 days if all went well.?

You have to be a frustrated as I was. I can tell you from experiance that the politicians are a waste of time. Deal with USCIS directly by using INFO PASS so you get first hand info. I met with them on three occasions trying to resolve our problems. They couldnt figure out what exactly the problem was. They did initiate some sort of internal actions trying to get the case moving. One good aspect of that is that if they decided USCIS made some mistake they will expidite your case. One officer took the time to look into our problem & made the effort to call me with what little news he had. To say that these INFO PASS people can not help is wrong. They are in fact trained USCIS officers which report to supervisors. If you dont get some usable info ask for the super.

If you wont wait what will you do instead? The phone robots are trained to give the 6 month responce. Forget them & try the INFO PASS approach. You will at the least feel like you did all you could.

I went one step further to find the real answer to the problem in our case. I will not go into that again here on V J because when I gave the info in the past people said it wasnt possible to have done what I did. I will only say it produced the results we needed & the visa we waited for.

monyfer, in another post you said your fiance had his passport stole in France and had to get his US tourist visa replaced. I wonder if that is the hold up? Like other people have suggested I would go for the info pass. Good luck and hopefully you get your answer soon.

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.